The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 5th Overall Pick Scenarios

Z Hockey

I have to say - seeing the dispicable Leafs rewarded for a pathetic tank job was exceedingly annoying.  Losers.

But I am happy to see Winnipeg and Columbus in the top 3. 

Columbus played excellent hockey down the stretch last year and wound up a 7th when they could have tanked - and landed Werenski as a result, who I hope/think is one of the best of his draft class.

Always liked the Jets and am excited about their future.  They already had a sick group of prospects/youth - Laine added to that group is a thing of beauty.  Our chances of prying that away from them is slim to none.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I see your first draft thread got locked - not surprised to see you back reposting it - but hey, why not, these boards have been a big sandbox/litterbox lately anyway.

Those are some very interesting proposals Z.

This one, #5 is my favorite.

Edler

Boeser

Hansen 

Rodin

Subban

33rd overall

(presumably you mean 1st) in 2017

same, another 1st in 2018

for

El Salvador. (1 Fin).

Now there's how to rebuild!

That sounds like poor asset management to me. ^_^

5 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

You think his scoring and skill which is good but IMO not Elite, is going to just sift magically from the Q to the NHL???!!

Let alone he produces and plays well by

using his size and physicality.

Which he's using in the softest and smallest league in the CHL, 6'3 200 is lanky in the NHL and needs to be filled out.

He found his scoring touch in the Q, yes he is bigger than most opponents now but that's why he needs to move up soon. As long as he keeps moving into tougher leagues he should continue to devolop. Is he going to suddenly score 40 goals in the NHL next year? No, but he is probably going to learn a lot more in the NHL than he will in the Q.

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Cool lets bring in people, maybe a jets fan  @Monty and lets see what @S N Y P E R S 7 thinks?

Laine for Sbisa, Rodin, Hansen, and the 5th overall?

Ps. Snyp I thought you were an admin at EP not a major junior scout..if true that's cool, I got a couple of friends that are scouts in the WHL and even a connection with a head scout in the NHL that you might know. 

12 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

You forgot the high draft pick in 2017 or 2018 genius.... As well as 

Gaudette, Sautner, Cassels and the

33rd overall pick. All as options in the trade.

Gross. For exactly the reason, I believe, I was oldnews pointed out (or someone, sorry). It's not about quantity in return, it would be about quality. The Jets already have one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL, throwing in a bunch of low in prospects like Gaudette, Sautner, and Cassels won't do anything for them. They already have enough in their system.

As far as Rodin and Hansen, where exactly do those two fit in on the Jets next season?

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler

Connor - Little - Laine

Petan - Lowry - Stafford

Lemieux - Copp - Armia

Enstrom - Byfuglien

Morrissey - Trouba

Chiarot - Myers

I struggle to see why the Jets would want/need Rodin or Hansen. Armia really picked up his game in the last half of the season, and Petan's game looked a lot better in his second stint than in his first. It just doesn't make any sense. And as for Sbisa, well that just makes zero sense.

All said and done, if your the Jets, what lineup looks better next season. The above, or switch out Laine for Rodin, Hansen, and Sbisa. Jeez.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Undoubtedly a reference to genitalia lol.

Beat me to it.

2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

He found his scoring touch in the Q, yes he is bigger than most opponents now but that's why he needs to move up soon. As long as he keeps moving into tougher leagues he should continue to devolop. Is he going to suddenly score 40 goals in the NHL next year? No, but he is probably going to learn a lot more in the NHL than he will in the Q.

Yeah learn how to be a good 3rd liner 

17 minutes ago, Monty said:

Gross. For exactly the reason, I believe, I was oldnews pointed out (or someone, sorry). It's not about quantity in return, it would be about quality. The Jets already have one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL, throwing in a bunch of low in prospects like Gaudette, Sautner, and Cassels won't do anything for them. They already have enough in their system.

As far as Rodin and Hansen, where exactly do those two fit in on the Jets next season?

Connor - Little - Laine

Petan - Lowry - Stafford

Lemieux - Copp - Armia

Enstrom - Byfuglien

Morrissey - Trouba

Chiarot - Myers

I struggle to see why the Jets would want/need Rodin or Hansen. Armia really picked up his game in the last half of the season, and Petan's game looked a lot better in his second stint than in his first. It just doesn't make any sense. And as for Sbisa, well that just makes zero sense.

All said and done, if your the Jets, what lineup looks better next season. The above, or switch out Laine for Rodin, Hansen, and Sbisa. Jeez.

Beat me to it.

What about negotiating with Columbus?

And at this point, Hansen & Rodin are a more sure thing than

Petan or B.Lemieux or Connor.

They fit Halischuk in that lineup...

BTW you forgot a very important piece of their lineup, Matt Perreault who's inked for another 2 seasons.

I don't get how you forgot him... 

He had 41 points in 71 games before an

injury.

Edit: you also forgot Dano, De Leo, Thorburn, B.Tanev, Peluso

And what's wrong with adding a man like Sbisa? They have big boys who can wheel in Byfuglien, T.Myers, and Trouba, and then they could have a another 7th/8th physical big D pair in

Sbisa & Mark Stuart

Just now, Z Hockey said:

What about negotiating with Columbus?

And at this point, Hansen & Rodin are a more sure thing than

Petan or B.Lemieux or Connor.

They fit Halischuk in that lineup...

BTW you forgot a very important piece of their lineup, Matt Perreault who's inked for another 2 seasons.

I don't get how you forgot him... 

He had 41 points in 71 games before an

injury.

Jeez, I knew I forgot someone. Was so fixated on making sure I included Armia that I completely forgot about him.

So, looking at:

Connor - Little - Laine

Perreault - Lowry - Stafford

Lemieux - Copp - Thorburn

Petan is rumored to being pushed out and back to the Moose if he can't make the top 9. I just don't see a scenario where that lineup gets better by trading Laine.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Jeez, I knew I forgot someone. Was so fixated on making sure I included Armia that I completely forgot about him.

So, looking at:

Connor - Little - Laine

Perreault - Lowry - Stafford

Lemieux - Copp - Thorburn

Petan is rumored to being pushed out and back to the Moose if he can't make the top 9. I just don't see a scenario where that lineup gets better by trading Laine.

Well they wanted Hamonic.

Would you trade Tanev in a deal for Laine?

On May 1, 2016 at 0:28 AM, Z Hockey said:

A.Nylander, Juolevi, M.Tkachuk, or

M.McLeod at #5.

I also want Max Jones, Logan Brown, or

Bellows. If we want anyone other than the four I listed for #5. Then we trade down...

I'd take Chychrun or Sergachev only if we traded down and A.Nylander, Juolevi, or M.Tkachuk were all still gone at No.9 - 13.

I see these five scenarios as our best

options...

1- Keep #5 pick, draft one of the four I

mentioned and stay away from Dubois. 

2- Keep #5 pick, draft one of the four I

mentioned and also trade for an additional 

1st rounder or two using the 33rd overall pick, our 3rd round pick, B.Gaunce and/or Veys rights, and/or Hansen and/or Sautner.

3- Trade #5 and two or three of Rodin, Hansen, Sbisa, B.Gaunce, Gaudette,

Sautner, Cassels the 33rd overall pick, and another high pick in 2018 for the #2/3 overall pick. Draft Laine or Puljujarvi.

4- Trade #5 and two or three of Rodin, Hansen, Sbisa, B.Gaunce, Gaudette,

Sautner, Cassels, the 33rd overall pick, and another high pick in 2018 for the # 2/3

overall pick. Draft Laine or Puljujarvi.

And also trade for another 1st rounder or two using the same assets or using 

Edler and just other draft picks.

5- Keep #5 and draft one of the four

mentioned and also trade for #2/3 pick using

Boeser, Edler, Rodin, Hansen, J.Subban,

33rd overall pick, and a high/high picks in 2017 and 2018.

Regardless, our draft targets in this order should be...

Alex Nylander, Olli Juolevi, Matt Tkachuk, 

Michael McLeod, Logan Brown, Max Jones

Dante Fabbro, Jake Bean, Keiffer Bellows,

Jacob Chychrun, Mikhail Sergachev,

Clayton Keller.

What about the fins? Surely we still will be getting one... Like we resigned Granlund why else would we have signed him then right?

also why all these draft threads. 

We have 1 big draft discussion thread in prospect section and a GDT for the draft lotto

36 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I have to say - seeing the dispicable Leafs rewarded for a pathetic tank job was exceedingly annoying.  Losers.

But I am happy to see Winnipeg and Columbus in the top 3. 

Columbus played excellent hockey down the stretch last year and wound up a 7th when they could have tanked - and landed Werenski as a result, who I hope/think is one of the best of his draft class.

Always liked the Jets and am excited about their future.  They already had a sick group of prospects/youth - Laine added to that group is a thing of beauty.  Our chances of prying that away from them is slim to none.

You're happy Columbus got OUR pick?

They did not deserve that pick or need it

compared to us.

2010-They got Johansen 4th overall which got them Seth Jones.

2012- They got 2nd overall- Ryan Murray.

2013- They had three 1st rounders which got them Wennberg, Rychel, & Dano.

In turn Dano helped get them Saad.

2014- They had 16th overall and got

Sonny Milano.  

2015- They had 8th overall and got

Werenski and traded to get 29th overall and got G.Carlsson. They then still had two 2nd rounders.

But no, Columbus needed 3rd overall more than us according to Bill Daly.

8 minutes ago, R3aL said:

What about the fins? Surely we still will be getting one... Like we resigned Granlund why else would we have signed him then right?

also why all these draft threads. 

We have 1 big draft discussion thread in prospect section and a GDT for the draft lotto

We can trade up for the Finns like I've

proposed many times.

Maybe it's still Bennings intention to trade for one.

I said 50 times that my theory wasn't the only reason we resigned Ma.Granlund but rather the timing of the resigning way before the draft was why I thought my

theory.

This isn't just a draft discussion, it's multiple proposals about trades at the draft with and without the 5th overall.

Goof.

Just now, Z Hockey said:

5th OA, Edler, J.Subban/Biega, Rodin, 33rd

for

2nd OA & a 3rd rounder

Would you do that?

No.

Subban would be behind Poolman, Kichton, and Kostalek on the depth chart. Therefore, not getting any time with them in the future. Biega is the same. 

They em have better options for the third line than Rodin in Dano, Perreault, and Armia. 

As for Edler, aside from the fact that he had a NMC and would have to approve it, the Jets don't need someone like him at his cap hit. What they would need is someone cheaper on the left hand side that complements Myers or Trouba while NOT taking on more cap. 

It just won't happen. Jets will select Laine, they won't trade it. This is an organization that rarely trades and always builds through the draft. And it's also an organization that sells out the smallest arena in the NHL, so additional merchandise revenue from jersey sales they'll get from a superstar like Laine trumps any idea of trading down. The guy is a true sniper. The Jets finished 21st in the NHL this season in goals for, so he is what they need.

46 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

We can trade up for the Finns like I've

proposed many times.

Maybe it's still Bennings intention to trade for one.

I said 50 times that my theory wasn't the only reason we resigned Ma.Granlund but rather the timing of the resigning way before the draft was why I thought my

theory.

This isn't just a draft discussion, it's multiple proposals about trades at the draft with and without the 5th overall.

Goof.

the audacity. Calling me a goof...

OH OKAY, this isn't draft discussion it is multiple proposals? Thank you for clarifying. That makes even more Z Hockey sense, your logic is SOUND. 

Either post your ridiculous theories and ideas in the established draft thread or you should have made this STUPID THREAD AND TAGGED IT PROPOSAL IN THE PROPOSAL SECTION.... as you clearly say yourself its multiple proposals

17 hours ago, Z Hockey said:

Both. Leafs definitely.

And I realized this, it's so obvious...

So out of all the Canadian teams in the top five, the Jets are likely the least hated by the NHL. And after getting back in the NHL a few seasons ago, they got back in the playoffs last season. This year they dropped and their fans were very disappointed.

Their arena (MTS Centre) is the smallest in the NHL, so Bettman/Daly were likely

concerned that the Jets owners would start losing money if the team was going to

struggle for a bit and rebuild.

An arena that already is low capacity having 

low attendance, would be bad. 

The last thing Bettman/Daly need to worry about in the middle of an expansion process, is ANOTHER team struggling to sell tickets and relocation rumours.

So they rig the lottery and give the Jets the best prospect besides Matthews, so the team can get winning again sooner and there's no risk of losing money because of empty seats.

(Laine is really the best prospect IMO).

It makes too much sense, typical

Bettman/Daly. Same thing with the

Blue Jackets, a team that already struggles with being a NON hockey hot-bed has a

terrible season, so they give them a top 3 pick. The pick at No.3 that was actually ours....

Wow.

17 hours ago, Z Hockey said:

I've gone on and on about him on CDC, go find what I said it's all over this board.

Because I don't feel like repeating my self. 

Long story short, lots of players looked like they could score or be great in the QMJHL, it's the softest, smallest, and easiest of the Junior leagues.

To me Dubois could easily be like 

Malhotra who has very similar size and

fundamentals and went in a similar spot at 7th overall.

People thought he was an Elite 2nd line C.

What first hand knowledge or personal

opinion do you have about any of the prospects?

So you don't want Dubois cause you think he has low upside offensively but your honestly telling me you would take Mike McLeod at #5 overall? Jeez.

There's no way this can be a serious comparison, Malhotra had 51 points in 57 games in his draft year, and he finished 7th in scoring on his own team alone. 

Dubois finished 3rd in scoring in the entire league and carried his team offensively, its not even comparable stats wise, let alone actually watching them play, which makes the comparison even more ridiculous.

Malhotra compares alot more favourable to McLeod actually, McLeod had 61 points in 57 games and his issue is a perceived lack of offensive upside, just like Manny.

3 hours ago, Z Hockey said:

Ugh. Chychrun fell because of shoulder surgery, and the type of shoulder injury he had at 17 or 18 years old is concerning.

Take him no higher than 8th.

Sergachev is actually the one who's like Hedman but Sergachev is a very

high risk/high reward player.

If we isolated it down to Dubois or Chychrun at No. 5 before A.Nylander, Juolevi, M.Tkachuk, or M.McLeod, I think I'd faint...

Chychurn is alot more comparable to Hedman. Sergachev plays a more offensive style than Chychurn and Hedman. Sergachev is closer to an Edler (2011/12 Edler) or even OEL than Hedman IMO.

If we took McLeod over any of the listed, especially Dubois, I would want Bennings head on a platter. 

2 hours ago, Monty said:

No.

Subban would be behind Poolman, Kichton, and Kostalek on the depth chart. Therefore, not getting any time with them in the future. Biega is the same. 

They em have better options for the third line than Rodin in Dano, Perreault, and Armia. 

As for Edler, aside from the fact that he had a NMC and would have to approve it, the Jets don't need someone like him at his cap hit. What they would need is someone cheaper on the left hand side that complements Myers or Trouba while NOT taking on more cap. 

It just won't happen. Jets will select Laine, they won't trade it. This is an organization that rarely trades and always builds through the draft. And it's also an organization that sells out the smallest arena in the NHL, so additional merchandise revenue from jersey sales they'll get from a superstar like Laine trumps any idea of trading down. The guy is a true sniper. The Jets finished 21st in the NHL this season in goals for, so he is what they need.

Yeah they needed him more than us..........

The Jets have over 14 Mil in cap space so..... And they only need to resign

Scheifele, Trouba, Armia, and Lowry which after that they likely still will have

$2-3 Mil in cap space, add on Clitsomes cap off the books and its 5-6 Mil. 

Enough to fit Edler.

Poolman is behind J.Subban in his

development, regardless, him or Kostalek would not be ahead of J.Subban Lol.........

Archived