The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do we have a shot at Stamkos?

2 hours ago, geoffcourtnall said:

I'd hope that JB is pursuing him... I mean if we can grab a guy like that, there's your franchise player to build around. A 26 year old Canadian scoring machine would like good in a nucks jersey.  That said, would he come here?  I mean surely there will be several teams will to pay the max won't there be?  Would Vancouver appeal to him?  Things would sure get exciting around here if it happened.

The question in my mind, is he worth it? Is any 1 player worth up to 20% of the team cap space? If TO pays Stamkos 11-12 million per year, it will make it really hard for them to keep other guys. Matthews isn't going to be cheap either once the ELC is over and if he's got similar numbers he'll be expecting a similar salary. And that's before signing a top goalie. 

5 minutes ago, We Are All Cynics said:

No chance.

I'm not sure where this notion that Vancouver has been an attractive market for FA's but I'd really like it to stop. Our history says otherwise and the reason is travel, travel, travel!!! We have the worse travel in the league and it does matter to players when they look to sign somewhere.

The only way we can land a FA of Stamkos' caliber is by overpaying them and in this case Toronto would win, again because they have a better travel schedule than us and they'll be able to outspend us. Quite frankly I don't want him here if it's just a cash grab for him and he's just going to float his time here.

What are you basing this on??   How many all world players just mail it in at the peak of their careers?  And Toronto would not win in a spending battle - there is a max that can be offered, and now they have Matthews to sign. 

7 minutes ago, We Are All Cynics said:

No chance.

I'm not sure where this notion that Vancouver has been an attractive market for FA's but I'd really like it to stop. Our history says otherwise and the reason is travel, travel, travel!!! We have the worse travel in the league and it does matter to players when they look to sign somewhere.

The only way we can land a FA of Stamkos' caliber is by overpaying them and in this case Toronto would win, again because they have a better travel schedule than us and they'll be able to outspend us. Quite frankly I don't want him here if it's just a cash grab for him and he's just going to float his time here.

We have the best training facilities in the League. We spend freely but wisely on free agents and we spend to the cap.

We have a beautiful city that is crazy about hockey.

Yes, we are an attractive destination for free agents.

I'm guessing that you are from Edmonton and just trolling?

Probably a 1 in 5 chance of getting him.. not many teams with both cap room AND actual dollars to spend that would be in the market.

Of course, we had a 1 in 3 chance of getting a top 3 pick in the draft and that didn't work out so well for us.

I really hold out bigger hopes of JB trading some of our depth young guys to a cap strapped team in return for a top 6 forward or top 4 D.  It doesn't matter so much to us if they are a little overpaid as we will have a ton of ELCs giving us cap space moving forward.

I don't think that Laraque is referring to tampering, or the idea that they've already been negotiating - but I'd have to agree with him.  My sense of it is that Stamkos will wind up in Toronto.  Not because I listen to the Toronto media or all their hype about a "master plan" working out - but because I think Stamkos has let it slip more times than one that he might like the option of playing there.  If I were guessing or betting - Toronto will get lucky again this summer - as they did with the lottery.

39 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Nobody can pay him for 10 years (at least on one contract). Tampa can pay him for 8 years, everyone else would be 7 years max.

If blood clots cause him to retire before those 7 years, his cap hit (and salary) comes off the books. 

7 years at 10 mill is still terrible for an overrated player like Stamkos. I hope we stay away. 

OK... lots of news reports saying TO no longer "needs" Stamkos. Plus that freaky injury isn't good. And Tampa is winning without him.

Lets say Benning can do it.... what's his line? Move Sutter to LW, and Jake on RW? I'm not sure who Stamkos fits with. 

5 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

7 years at 10 mill is still terrible for an overrated player like Stamkos. I hope we stay away. 

Not likely up to us anyway. He'll probably go elsewhere.

Besides, I might actually prefer Okposo + Goligoski/Demers if possible ::D

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't think that Laraque is referring to tampering, or the idea that they've already been negotiating - but I'd have to agree with him.  My sense of it is that Stamkos will wind up in Toronto.  Not because I listen to the Toronto media or all their hype about a "master plan" working out - but because I think Stamkos has let it slip more times than one that he might like the option of playing there.  If I were guessing or betting - Toronto will get lucky again this summer - as they did with the lottery.

If not TO, Vancouver makes the most sense. No other Canadian team has the cap space (or will, Calgary is going to be forced to spend a ton on little jonny) and I can't see Stamoks picking Ottawa. 

If Stamkos wants to play here I'd be all for it. Even though he isn't the one missing piece (we have a few holes), he is a lot of offence, and man would it ever be dumb for a team to pass up on a player like him in his prime. I don't care if we float him the max, just as long as we can TRADE him when we see fit. Very limited clauses. You know, in case it isn't working out in 3-5 years, or the team is moving on, or blood clots, or whatever.

Maybe in light of his recent health concerns his next contact will be a little more performance based if he wants the 10 mils?

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

My one concern with Stamkos signing here would be this fanbase and his recovery from the rib/shoulder/clot issue.

He's likely to have a slow start next year as he gets back in to shape and re-trains that shoulder. This fanbase would crucify him and JB when he gets off to that inevitable slow start.

I think it would be the exact opposite. Stamkos would be the selling point of that season especially since we missed out on the draft lottery. The mere prospect of the Sedins feeding Stamkos the puck on the powerplay would make me salivate, let alone them playing on the same team. 

5 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

How exactly is a player with seasons of 51, 45, 60, and 43 goals overrated?  The Canucks have not had a 40 goal scorer since the 2010-2011 season.  Stamkos has never played with playmakers anywhere near as good as Henrik and Daniel and if the Sedins can set Vrbata up for 31 I can only dream of what they could do with a pure finisher.

Just now, Tomato Pajamas said:

I think it would be the exact opposite. Stamkos would be the selling point of that season especially since we missed out on the draft lottery. The mere prospect of the Sedins feeding Stamkos the puck on the powerplay would make me salivate, let alone them playing on the same team. 

Yeah I'm not not saying he won't sell tickets. His name alone would do that.

But I'd not be surprised at all to see him have comparatively a slow start given his injury/surgery/recovery. And if that were to happen, this fan base, fed by our low level local sports media, will be frothing at the mouth at him and Benning for being an overpriced gimmick they hoped would sell tickets. It will be ugly.

On destinations that I think would probably be considerations for Stamkos:

Tampa: Going to be tight after paying Kucherov, but I think the fact that he hasn't signed here yet is pretty telling. I don't believe its about money, I think he wants to be somewhere else or he would have put the whole contract issue behind him already.

Pittsburgh: No cap space unless they decide to move Malkin or Crosby, and even though I think it would be a good idea for them to move Malkin to build better depth, I can't see that happening.

Detroit: I think they are going to have serious issues this summer. I think Datsyuk is going to skip to Europe, and that's going to leave them in a really bad cap situation unless they can find a way to move his contract to another team. 

NY Rangers: With people they need to resign, they might be able to fit him in, but it would be tight

Washington: Could probably fit him in

Toronto: Going to be tight on cap space, can do it, but would likely have to move or buy out some other contracts.

Vancouver: We do have the space available and a reasonable number of strong prospects coming up. Would be tight, but by buying out Higgins and possibly Burrows, We could make it work.

11 minutes ago, Tomato Pajamas said:

Stamkos right handed one-timers from Hank would be money.  Not a great faceoff guy - not a great defensive/two-way center - I think Stamkos would fit better on the wing here (although not ideally the physical presence you'd like with the Sedins....)

Dank Hank Stamk

Baertschi Sutter Rodin/Virtanen

Etem Horvat Hansen

Burrows/Gaunce Granlund Dorsett

Stamkos would be the ideal transition piece for this team, first playing with the Sedins for a few years and then serving as the new face.  He turned 26 only a few months ago and it can be argued he is still hitting his prime.  Benning has emphasized his desire to acquire players in the 24-28 age range to serve as the next core group of this team and Stamkos fits this mold.  The Canucks have significant cap hits coming off this year (Vrbata & Hamhuis), significant cap hits coming off next year (Miller, Burrows, and Higgins), and significant cap coming off in 3 years (Sedins & Sbisa).  All of these players will be replaced with the players being developed and drafted now (Horvat, Demko, Boeser, Tryamkin, Hutton, this years 5 OA) and as much as everyone wants the elite franchise player through drafting we all saw there is no guarantee with the lottery.

Archived