The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do we have a shot at Stamkos?

Posted this the other day in another "Stamkos" thread:

Unless..., McCann bulks up over the summer and plays wing,  and the Sedins move to the 2nd line?

McCann - Stamkos - Virtanen  (lots of skill and "attitude" on this line, two capable of C)

Daniel - Henrik - Sutter  (tough second line to play against, two capable of C)

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin  (Horvat and Co able to play without the high pressure of top 6)

Gaunce - Granlund - Hansen  (grit and speed, two capable of C)

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

OK... lots of news reports saying TO no longer "needs" Stamkos. Plus that freaky injury isn't good. And Tampa is winning without him.

Lets say Benning can do it.... what's his line? Move Sutter to LW, and Jake on RW? I'm not sure who Stamkos fits with. 

Stamkos apparently insists on playing C.  Several GM do believe that he is better suited on the wing because he is more of a goal scorer than a puck distributor.  That's why Cooper had Drouin playing with him this season (before injuries kind of derailed the plan) but they were a line for close to 70% of Drouin's time at EV.  

They tried Sutter at C2 with Malkin on the wing last year but it didn't work too well for either player and he was more productive from the 3rd line working off the rush.  Ferraro does say that he is not a passer so it's doubtful that he could be the playmaker on the wing.

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

On destinations that I think would probably be considerations for Stamkos:

Tampa: Going to be tight after paying Kucherov, but I think the fact that he hasn't signed here yet is pretty telling. I don't believe its about money, I think he wants to be somewhere else or he would have put the whole contract issue behind him already.

Pittsburgh: No cap space unless they decide to move Malkin or Crosby, and even though I think it would be a good idea for them to move Malkin to build better depth, I can't see that happening.

Detroit: I think they are going to have serious issues this summer. I think Datsyuk is going to skip to Europe, and that's going to leave them in a really bad cap situation unless they can find a way to move his contract to another team. 

NY Rangers: With people they need to resign, they might be able to fit him in, but it would be tight

Washington: Could probably fit him in

Toronto: Going to be tight on cap space, can do it, but would likely have to move or buy out some other contracts.

Vancouver: We do have the space available and a reasonable number of strong prospects coming up. Would be tight, but by buying out Higgins and possibly Burrows, We could make it work.

Washington has roughly $59m committed to 17 players next year and has Johansson and Orlov as RFA's who had a combined cap hit of $5.75m this year.  Factoring in conservative raises and they get $7m to $8m putting them at $65m to $66m, plus the need to add 3-4 more players...they wouldn't have enough to sign Stamkos without moving salary.

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Stamkos apparently insists on playing C.  Several GM do believe that he is better suited on the wing because he is more of a goal scorer than a puck distributor.  That's why Cooper had Drouin playing with him this season (before injuries kind of derailed the plan) but they were a line for close to 70% of Drouin's time at EV.  

They tried Sutter at C2 with Malkin on the wing last year but it didn't work too well for either player and he was more productive from the 3rd line working off the rush.  Ferraro does say that he is not a passer so it's doubtful that he could be the playmaker on the wing.

If WD was willing to split the Sedin's 5 on 5 we could have a pretty interesting situation and incredibly strong up the middle for a 4 line team like WD likes to play:

D. Sedin-Stamkos-

Baer-H.Sedin-

Sutter 3C

Horvat 4C

Bringing in Stamkos would be a worthy reason to split up the twins 5-5. I like them together on the PP though. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Lost a lot of respect and interest in Stamkos this year when he - as acting Captain of the Lightning - played those tweet games indicating he has one foot out the door and in Toronto.

Very disrespectful to the Lightning fan base imo.

Perhaps fitting that their next core would be built around more poor leadership.

Making a play for Stamkos with a CUP contending roster might make sense. Canucks are years away from that. My biggest concern would be the pressure it would put him under in a media crazy market. His every move would be dissected + or -. The fallout would not end with Stamkos in a negative environment. He could become a scapegoat for poor team results. I prefer that the Twins stay as the figureheads as their careers wind down. Let the youngsters grow together without one being fingered as an heir apparent.

18 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah I'm not not saying he won't sell tickets. His name alone would do that.

But I'd not be surprised at all to see him have comparatively a slow start given his injury/surgery/recovery. And if that were to happen, this fan base, fed by our low level local sports media, will be frothing at the mouth at him and Benning for being an overpriced gimmick they hoped would sell tickets. It will be ugly.

I had that first rib resection surgery (not for clots) and it does take a while to recover.... but at the very outside 4-6 months until even the lingering effects are gone.  Any slow start would be courtesy of not being able to train as hard early in the summer.

WD seems kind of clueless on special teams, but I don't see any way you don't play Stamkos with the Sedins on the 1st unit PP and gain us half a goal per game average just from that.  An elite sniper with two of the best passers in the league would be nice to watch and would be a compelling selling point for trying to attract him.

Less compelling is who his linemates would be and that could be a real dealbreaker on his interest level.  He wants to play centre, and we didn't win the draft lottery to give him a fancy Finnish winger.  We wouldn't be able to afford another top UFA signing if we got him either.  You know any potential UFA will be very interested in who they will play with and since part of his issue in Tampa is being made a winger (apparently), it wouldn't fly here either.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Horvat/Baerstchi-Stamkos-Hansen/Sutter

Not exactly the linemates that will give you a career season.

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Making a play for Stamkos with a CUP contending roster might make sense. Canucks are years away from that. My biggest concern would be the pressure it would put him under in a media crazy market. His every move would be dissected + or -. The fallout would not end with Stamkos in a negative environment. He could become a scapegoat for poor team results. I prefer that the Twins stay as the figureheads as their careers wind down. Let the youngsters grow together without one being fingered as an heir apparent.

I don't believe Stamkos will be coming here - at the same time, I disagree entirely with your philosophy of waiting on contender status before signing UFAs.

Honestly, Stamkos is married to Toronto. With them winning the lottery, I don't see how he doesn't view going home as being attractive. And it's a blessing really. With the kind of injuries he has had, I think he's nothing but on the decline. 10+ million dollars for that! I don't think so...

I remember around the trade deadline when there was lots of talk among the so called hockey experts/ insiders about Stamkos there were teams mentioned that Stamkos would be interested in going to. Toronto was on that list but they seemed to feel Stamkos didn't really want to go there, oddly enough Vancouver was mentioned on this 'list' I remember because my first thought was WHY ?????

take it for what it's worth, random speculation at the time likely

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Less compelling is who his linemates would be and that could be a real dealbreaker on his interest level.  He wants to play centre, and we didn't win the draft lottery to give him a fancy Finnish winger.  We wouldn't be able to afford another top UFA signing if we got him either.  You know any potential UFA will be very interested in who they will play with and since part of his issue in Tampa is being made a winger (apparently), it wouldn't fly here either.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Horvat/Baerstchi-Stamkos-Hansen/Sutter

Not exactly the linemates that will give you a career season.

Well he could very well play with the Sedins for a couple years until guys like Boesser/Baer/McCann/5th this year etc arrive/develop more. Him and Hank could split C duty and take draws on their strong sides too. He'd need to be looking past the next couple years though for sure.

Otherwise, this year I'd wager (if not with the Sedins) we see something more like :

Baer, Stamkos, Sutter

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Well he could very well play with the Sedins for a couple years until guys like Boesser/Baer/McCann/5th this year etc arrive/develop more. Him and Hank could split C duty and take draws on their strong sides too. He'd need to be looking past the next couple years though for sure.

Otherwise, this year I'd wager (if not with the Sedins) we see something more like :

Baer, Stamkos, Sutter

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

I would think if he actually came here he would take over the top line duties and the Sedins would become the second line like it sounds like management would prefer to do at some point.

Just now, nucksnavsfan said:

I would think if he actually came here he would take over the top line duties and the Sedins would become the second line like it sounds like management would prefer to do at some point.

You mean just like the 2nd half of my post...

Yes you definitely go for Stamkos!

1) Franchise 1st line centres are impossible to get. (See draft lottery chances)

2)  He is the 2nd best pure goal scorer in the league after Ovi. (we need goals!)

3)  He is not being utilized properly in Tampa... he is a stud and can play all situations... I see him top 3 in scoring in the league.

4)  We would be a playoff contender again with crazy depth at centre. (we still need defensive help)

5)  Henrick as a second line centre would dominate.

centre ice:           Stamkos

Sedin

Sutter

Horvat

Granlund

McCann

Gaunce

Stamkos will go where he wants to.  He will have offers by multiple teams.....all in the same ballpark for dollars and years.

If he wants to go to Toronto....that is where he will go.  It won't matter if the Canucks offer him an extra $500,000 a year

I don't think he would want to play in the Pacific anyways.

It's gonna take alot of dinners at Blue Water to convince him but I think we can do it.

Seriously though, the money is there it's just a matter of interest on his end. Management would really have to sell him on this team being a contender in a couple years. If he's willing to ride out a season of mediocrity until the 17/18 season when we'll have more cap space and more young players making an impact then maybe.

That or they just pay him a stupid amount with max signing bonuses and a free condo. 

Since Stamkos is my favourite player in the NHL, I would LOVE if he came to Vancouver and I would buy his jersey instantly. We have the cap room for Benning to at least go pitch in an offer for him, so by the numbers we do have a chance. 

However, the odds of Stamkos wanting to go here, or that Vancouver is a top destination in mind for him are pretty slim. How I see it, with all the reasons people keep saying why Stamkos wouldn't want to sign in Toronto apply to the canucks as well, and that's what really convinces me that Stamkos wouldn't sign here. Let alone I think it's a 50/50 shot that Yzerman lets him walk away. Vancouver would have to offer more money than what other teams will offer him which may be 9-10 mill per year. 

Certainly doesn't hurt to at least throw an offer at him though, worst case scenario is he says no...and then we just continue on with our lives.

Archived