The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Letang Suspsended 1 Game For Late Hit

Letang suspended one game for late hit

Pittsburgh Penguins defenceman Kris Letang was suspended one game on Tuesday for his hit on Washington Capitals forward Marcus Johansson in Game 3 on Monday.

In the first period, Johansson carried the puck into the Pittsburgh zone and passed off to Justin Williams before taking a late hit from Letang.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, the hit was delivered .63 seconds after Johansson passed, which is outside the .60 limit for being considered "late" by the league.

The hit was not as late as the one delivered by Brooks Orpik on Olli Maatta in Game 2, which resulted in a three-game suspension to the Capitals' player.

Letang was assessed a minor penalty for interference on the play.

Johansson stayed down for a few moments before leaving the ice under his own power. He returned for the second period but said his neck was sore after the game.

The Capitals forward later told reporters that he watched the hit after the game and feels it was a blindside head hit that deserves a suspension.

Game 4 of the series is scheduled for Wednesday night in Pittsburgh. The Penguins lead the series 2-1.

DoPS Video: https://www.nhl.com/video/kris-letang-suspended-1-game/t-277440360/c-43830303

I didn't think it deserved more. Though that one angle did make it look like he left his feet before the hit, others showed that he didn't. And he did hit through the body and didn't target the head like Orpik did.

Fraser was dead-on with this one, saying he thought it deserved 1 game before the suspension was announced.

http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-letang-deserves-one-game-suspension-for-careless-hit-1.482836

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Should have been more.

He should have at least been tossed from that game as well. Since he wasn't I think it should have been 2 games. 

11 minutes ago, Green Building said:

The metric fits, 1 playoff game is 3 regular season games. He deserved it, I'm a little surprised he got it though to be honest.

Yet the consistency doesn't - not much different than Rome's hit on Horton - and he received 4 games in the SCF.

18 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Still not enough, but at least they disciplined him this time.

Remember this little gem from round 1?

I swear,  some players get away with anything.

Yeah I don't even know how this one wasn't looked at. Clear intent. 

44 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Still not enough, but at least they disciplined him this time.

Remember this little gem from round 1?

I swear,  some players get away with anything.

The argument I saw with that is the stick pivoted forward as an opposite reaction to his left hand/butt end of the stick hitting the glass. Not that I subscribe to that, but just FYI.

One game for this is ok, would have made more sense after a 5 and a game so I could have seen two, but considering how they treat playoff games it's pretty close.

I'm going to say the exact same thing on almost every single suspension handed out by this league:

The NHL does not take the safety of its players seriously enough.

11 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

I'm going to say the exact same thing on almost every single suspension handed out by this league:

The NHL does not take the safety of its players seriously enough.

You know they'll try to play the victim after the league gets their pants sued off too.

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Yet the consistency doesn't - not much different than Rome's hit on Horton - and he received 4 games in the SCF.

Wait a minute though, Rome hit Horton behind the net, clearly a more vulnerable location than the trolley tracks ^_^ 

Yes, it took me over an hour to have a thought.

Archived