The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just Do What Dallas Did !

MaxVerstappen33

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

no one said 1st overalls but a good number of top 3s at the very least makes it to the final hence having a chance to win it

Yakupov would be our only chance to get a 1st oa. Benning and Yaks agent played on this team together. The connection between Chia and benning. And Bure was Yaks favorite player growing up

During the offseason last year I specifically said that Dallas would be a very competitive team this year, of course I got laughed at.

well... who's laughing now?

In my "Just Do It" post was more to do with telling the truth and I guess a total blow up/tear down for improvement, but this "Dallas" approach could work as well.

As noted Dallas hasn't had a top three pick of their own for years, but what they did do was trade for top three picks from other teams and/or trade for established/bonafide key pieces to fill specific roles. They used their cap space and were not afraid to over pay.

The Nucks could do the same here, over pay to get key pieces, use cap space and their financial might.

What could move Winnipeg to trade their 1rst?, What would be a deal too good to refuse for Columbus? What ever it takes.

The Peg could use a center to replace Ladd and more cap space for signing Trouba and Scheifele, possibly a goalie/prospect. Would they consider Horvat, Virtanen and Garteig or Markstrom if necessary.

Columbus needs cap space, money and need to win badly (play offs), include Clarkson in any offer, Tanev, McCann/Hansen and/or goalie (Markstrom).

Sure it's over pay and I am not suggesting "giving up" on the kids or even selling out the entire future but over pay is what will be needed and quality.

What the Nucks get is obvious the Finns, that is the future, or at least a future that has the best chance. A lot of posters mow laud Benning's regime for the depth it has added in two years, so it wouldn't be much of a step backwards and then there is the trade table. Stamkos between the Finns? Sound enticing? Miller with Garteig and Demko in the AHL?

There is pain, but not as much as one would think. For sure there would be another year or two of pain.

36 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

During the offseason last year I specifically said that Dallas would be a very competitive team this year, of course I got laughed at.

well... who's laughing now?

Who exactly are you talking to?

Dallas made two shrewd trades taking advantage of cap strapped competitors; getting Seguim & Sharp.

And they got lucky drafting Benn & Klingburg. Imagine getting Norris and Hart trophy candidates in short order from the depths of the draft? Was it luck? Sure they drafted them for a reason but tell me they projected what they got?

They pulled off 4 huge wins on significant players at relatively low cost. This will be hard to duplicate!

Plus they have drafted solid and even built around their core four.

Now lets see if they get to the championship level before a mistake blows it up...

4 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

How about we draft Dubois or Tkachuk at 5th then grab D at 33. Hopefully Benning makes some great choices and our prospects cupboard is full. We will have a pretty good team in 3 years. We shouldn't sign any free agents unless they are younger then 28. Id go for Lucic if the term wasn't a full 7 years... Don't want Eriksson. Seguin was a f$'k up by Chierrelli and Benning. Benn was a fluke at 5th round turns into best player in the league. Dallas just made some good moves and got a bit lucky to get where they are. Canucks will be there soon. Losing the Lotto was rough, but we are still probably getting a star player or close to that at 5th overall. 

Benning should draft the player who he thinks will have the biggest impact for the team in the future with the 5th.  It looks like Dubois or Tkachuk.  It makes sense then that the next most pressing need be addressed with the 33rd pick.  If he takes a D with the 5th, he should try to take a potential 1st line forward with the 33rd (probably a tall order).

I think the FA would be a bridge player and you don't want to be saddled with a long term contract.  The contract term is key.  Whoever will sign for no more than 3-4 years max.  Long term RW is looking like Boeser and Virtanen who may be ready for top 6 duties in that 3-4 year time frame.  Hansen can fill the void while he is at the peak of his career which, at 30 years old now, may last 1 more year.  The FA would have to be a guy who would remain effective as a top 6 player for the 3-4 year term.  

1 hour ago, TheGuardian said:

In my "Just Do It" post was more to do with telling the truth and I guess a total blow up/tear down for improvement, but this "Dallas" approach could work as well.

As noted Dallas hasn't had a top three pick of their own for years, but what they did do was trade for top three picks from other teams and/or trade for established/bonafide key pieces to fill specific roles. They used their cap space and were not afraid to over pay.

The Nucks could do the same here, over pay to get key pieces, use cap space and their financial might.

What could move Winnipeg to trade their 1rst?, What would be a deal too good to refuse for Columbus? What ever it takes.

The Peg could use a center to replace Ladd and more cap space for signing Trouba and Scheifele, possibly a goalie/prospect. Would they consider Horvat, Virtanen and Garteig or Markstrom if necessary.

Columbus needs cap space, money and need to win badly (play offs), include Clarkson in any offer, Tanev, McCann/Hansen and/or goalie (Markstrom).

Sure it's over pay and I am not suggesting "giving up" on the kids or even selling out the entire future but over pay is what will be needed and quality.

What the Nucks get is obvious the Finns, that is the future, or at least a future that has the best chance. A lot of posters mow laud Benning's regime for the depth it has added in two years, so it wouldn't be much of a step backwards and then there is the trade table. Stamkos between the Finns? Sound enticing? Miller with Garteig and Demko in the AHL?

There is pain, but not as much as one would think. For sure there would be another year or two of pain.

The top 3 have too much connection to move at this point.

The Drouins, Yakupovs, Nichushkins and somebody in Colorado's top 6 are all players we could buy low on instead

37 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

The top 3 have too much connection to move at this point.

The Drouins, Yakupovs, Nichushkins and somebody in Colorado's top 6 are all players we could buy low on instead

But none of those could be "franchise" or league leaders. On this team being pegged the "franchise" player, wouldn't necessarily be "franchise" to many other teams. remember Don Lever? Now Bure was a "franchise" player for sure. The Sedins, but Virtanen, Baertschi or even Horvat or McCann?

The players you named might, might be better than what the Canucks currently have, but is that a hard thing to do right now?

There is no way TO will trade Mathews, but the next three picks might/maybe/hopefully could be achieved if over paid for at the cost of a couple of poor years, which are likely to happen anyway.

If a trade could be made, the Nucks 1rst this (#5) year and using the Nucks 1rst (most likely a guaranteed #2 - 6) next year would be huge in helping secure two franchise possibilities. The Nucks would still have good goalie depth/prospects (Demko), a plethora of 2, 3, 4 & 5 dmen, the Sedins for another year or two, Cassels, Guance, and a few of the others not seen yet.

Looking around the league in the cap era, there is no one formula that works better than others, you need skill on both the game and managerial side combined with a good amount of luck.

As a poker dealer I see the same thing, what works for one player doesn't work at all for another, and no matter what poker players say, luck is a bigger factor than most think.

6 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Looking around the league in the cap era, there is no one formula that works better than others, you need skill on both the game and managerial side combined with a good amount of luck.

As a poker dealer I see the same thing, what works for one player doesn't work at all for another, and no matter what poker players say, luck is a bigger factor than most think.

Goes back to the old saying "you gotta be good to be lucky, and you gotta be lucky to be good".

I don't know where you people have been but this is what Benning and Linden are preaching. Every year you try to make the playoffs,by what ever means you have at your disposal.  Ufa's,trades, drafting  and developing your own talent. You don't trade away your higher end picks.

You keep some older players to help bring along the youth in your system. The problem this year was that the injuries that we had were mostly to our veteran core and because our depth players are all younger we ended up icing a very inexperienced group. 

With a couple of additions this year we could be quite competitive again. What fans were saying last years was that once we were out of the playoff picture then why not go for the bottom. This is something you will here again if we are clearly out of the playoff race after the trade deadline.

They have cap apace to spend.

I think inorder to do what Dallas did the Canucks need to get drouin. Which is comparable to seguin at the time, although drouin looks great now and seguin was a third liner at the time. I also think the Canucks need to sign a good free agent comparable to spezza so eriksson or if the Canucks wanna go the extra mile they can get Stamkos. Then we have a championship team!!

drouin Stamkos boeser

sedins eriksson 

baertschi horvat virtanen 

Hansen McCann sutter 

tell me you wouldn't like that...

15 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Dallas is an interesting case and in some areas I could see how Vancouver could emulate them.  For instance, they got Eakin for Ribeiro (their previous #2 center), and of course they got Seguin+ for Eriksson+.  The closest comparable moves would obviously revolve around the Twins given that they should decide to waive their clauses.  They also have a variety of youth contributing, which the local team is beginning to accumulate.

However, the similarities just might end there.  Jamie Benn for instance was a 0.5 p.p.g. scorer at the NHL level in his first season, but really started receiving attention after developing and having Tyler join the team.  They had a star on the team, but just needed running mates.  Obviously it'd also be difficult to draft and expect a 5th round D to blossom the way Klingberg has, and we'd be lucky if any of Hutton/ Subban/ Stecher comes close to what he has become.  Dallas is also in the phase of their team's window where building to contend has become a priority, and they've managed to build an offensive group by essentially stealing Spezza (struggling/ developing Chiasson, 2nd, two mid-round prospects who they could afford to give up) and Sharp (with Johns who's in their top-4, for Daley who wasn't performing, and depth guy in Garbutt-- Hawks did this due to cap constraints).  Currently this team isn't in the position to trade away prospects for stars, but it's also a good idea to deal for NHL-ready young players, so I guess to some extent they would emulate stealing NHL players from cap or talent-heavy teams.

Hopefully Trader Jim can live up to his title again and make the most of Vrbata, Burr and Miller should they find trade partners for them to really jump-start the rebuild, similar in ways to what Jim Nill did with his vets.

Vrbata is gone for nothing, not even a Czech-made puck. Burrows @ 4,5 mill (an asset?)? Well if Carey price is screwed still maybe he could be moved for a small piece/pick but that is it.

BTW I don`t want to meet Matthew 2:16 or whatever dude... but the older sister, you know, the good lookin one! Game on!

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

a good number of top 3s at the very least makes it to the final hence having a chance to win it

what number?   you're missing the point.

18% of first overall picks won a cup over the past 3 decades.

16% of all NHLers in general of all picks, free agents, etc.

Your point doesn't really offer any information or make a difference to the point being made.

21 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

drouin Stamkos boeser

sedins eriksson 

baertschi horvat virtanen 

Hansen McCann sutter 

That's not a championship team. Defense wins championships and with that lineup, our defense would still be middling and aging.

25 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That's not a championship team. Defense wins championships and with that lineup, our defense would still be middling and aging.

I agree with your statement... slightly. If u have the offensive power as stated, u can score at will. Those top two lines a are legitimate first lines, and that's not combining the kid line which they could all potentially become great point producers. 4 good lines. 

Defence wont be an issue as our defensive core is already quite decent. Tanev edler are a good duo. Hutton is already showing he can be top four already. Tryamkin can be top 4-6. Plus if we sign any ufa defence or draft any top defenceman we'll be stronger. 

Our goaltending will be world class with both demko and Markstrom. 

So if ur telling me a strong offensive group like that, with a good defensive group and a great goaltending duo can't win the cup or atleast go far in the playoffs then you are crazy. 

2 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Goes back to the old saying "you gotta be good to be lucky, and you gotta be lucky to be good".

Yes.  It is so unreasonable to say that people who miss on later round picks are bad at drafting, while people who strike gold are lucky.  What about the multi-year development of Benn?  Is that luck, or would he be the same player in Carolina?

The obsession with "top 3" is also totally unreasonable, because you can easily look back to certain drafts and see that guys taken after third should have gone third.  Would you take Morgan Reilly over Ryan Murray?  I would.

On top of that, there are years where the 4th overall guy would have gone first the year before.  The years aren't equal, and I've heard many tankers appeal to luck here, saying that you have to some luck, and also you have to suck as long as possible, to hit more years.  

Are Barkov and Monahan better than McKinnon?  Someone more qualified than me can answer that, but it is so obvious that the quality drafting and development are everything.  The draft position is less important. (McKinnon may have more raw ability, but Monahan has definitely done more in translating what he's got into success).

It is all about building up prospect depth so that you can make those big trades.  The Seguin trade wasn't some kind of fluke robbery, it was an A+ prospect, a solid roster player, and a first.  Reilly Smith got it done.  That's what Benning will do, to move up in the draft and land players.

Archived