The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just Do What Dallas Did !

MaxVerstappen33

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Dallas made two shrewd trades taking advantage of cap strapped competitors; getting Seguim & Sharp.

And they got lucky drafting Benn & Klingburg. Imagine getting Norris and Hart trophy candidates in short order from the depths of the draft? Was it luck? Sure they drafted them for a reason but tell me they projected what they got?

They pulled off 4 huge wins on significant players at relatively low cost. This will be hard to duplicate!

Plus they have drafted solid and even built around their core four.

Now lets see if they get to the championship level before a mistake blows it up...

But I would say our team has better luck trading and signing then just drafting. So we should stick to what seems to work for us.

i said it already but we stole Naslund, Loungo and Erhoff. We traded to pair up the Sedins. We did some fancy footwork to acquire Bure. We signed Sundin.

7 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

So you are saying that one's track record means nothing in terms of trying to see what is coming?

I am saying that we are discussing 2 different strategies. Not personnel per se.

I see what you are saying. But isn't Benning responsible for drafting Seguin ?

And I also think it is funny that Chiarelli got fired for trading away a quality young player. But then Bob Nicholson goes and hires him when the main task for the GM job in Oil town is to trade away young players. What a dumb hire. And we can see how gun shy Chiarelli is because he went into 15/16 with all of the same young players on the roster !

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If we could get Drouin from tampa for spare parts maybe we'd have something.

Drouin isn't going for spare parts now though.

Yakupov should also get serious considerations. He would cost way less too

Scouting in this era usually doesn't get it this wrong. His coach hated him and used him as a whipping boy. The other young guys on the team didn't hang out with him. I seen the punks at the bars in Edmonton a few times. Nail was never there.

He will be so determined to prove his critics wrong when he gets a new start.

Nichushkin might be another guy to consider

21 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

Yakupov should also get serious considerations. He would cost way less too

Scouting in this era usually doesn't get it this wrong. His coach hated him and used him as a whipping boy. The other young guys on the team didn't hang out with him. I seen the punks at the bars in Edmonton a few times. Nail was never there.

He will be so determined to prove his critics wrong when he gets a new start.

Yakupov would probably cost us a player like Hutton though.

Tough to trade a D-man with our lack of depth in that position.

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yes, Benning is not yet in the position to trade for assets.  He is getting himself into a cap position where he could add players from cap strapped teams and he says he will.

19 hours ago, BI3KSA- said:

Yeah, I dont think trading for an elite 1C for comparatively nothing is going to drop into our lap, so I dont think emulating Dallas is even remotely realistic. 

Stamkos could be that 1C and he would only cost cap space

2 hours ago, LolClarkson said:

But I would say our team has better luck trading and signing then just drafting. So we should stick to what seems to work for us.

i said it already but we stole Naslund, Loungo and Erhoff. We traded to pair up the Sedins. We did some fancy footwork to acquire Bure. We signed Sundin.

As soooo not easy as it is to get them; great teams usually only have two or three bonafide stars. Four if extremely lucky. The base of the team usually consists of 60 to 70 % of your players who were your very own draft picks. Without whom you do not have & cannot cannot afford, the depth and role players. Or a couple of key players below the calibre of your stars.

Its probably possible to get three stars via trade / free agency? Maybe 1 or 3 more strong secondary players. But by then you are pushing your luck. And still need valid drafted assets to spend on your acquisitions. Its nearly impossible to manoeuvre to get 17 to 20 (including call ups) guys behind your stars who have the speed, size and snarl to control the balance of match ups & play while the stars are not on the ice.

18 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I don't see the Sedins' lasting a tough physical series with any big dog in the west, because this year in the regular season they struggled against the big dogs, and this was the REGULAR SEASON, playoffs is like a amp higher!

You're off-topic... Again...

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

His stock is lower then that man. Chia will be under the gun to trade him.

A 2nd round pick and a decent roster player would get it done. Hansen and a 2017 2nd. Umm this years 2nd and Pedan maybe...Along those lines

I'd over-pay for Drouin at this point. Hansen and this years 1st

2 hours ago, BaerToBo said:

Stamkos could be that 1C and he would only cost cap space

As I've said previous, that could happen, although very unlikely, but if it did, he would still cost likely twice as much yearly as Seguin does and he produces significantly less. So it still wouldnt be the same. 

1 hour ago, BI3KSA- said:

As I've said previous, that could happen, although very unlikely, but if it did, he would still cost likely twice as much yearly as Seguin does and he produces significantly less. So it still wouldnt be the same. 

I think you lost the whole thing as a "general idea" and not about one specific player or players. Basically the premis is that great players can come from anywhere and not just from the draft.

Vancouver received Brown and Ehrhoff via trades and both were instrumental in both cup runs. Like I said before, I don't care where the players come from, just field a competitive team worth watching.

Archived