The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is anyone else getting sick of losing out to the coilers?

YOWnuxFAN

It's the same story over and over. The Oilers sign highly touted young player, turns out he doesn't fit the system well, puts up very few points, is a minus player, and ends up leaving the organization in a few years. 

I imagine he signed because he wanted more ice time, and more than likely wanted to play with McDavid. Who wouldn't?

13 minutes ago, danaimo said:

I don't want free agents like Caggiula signing for the Canucks.  This kid obviously wants to spend the next 3 years surrounded by losers, collecting big pay checks, winning nothing.  I can't fault him for it, but I don't want him on my team.  If you could play for any of the 30 NHL teams and choose EDM, then that says a lot about you.  Now let's move on.

While he is/was(still haven't seen an official announcement?) a free agent in no way were 30 teams interested in him. 10 I'd say had some interest and about 5 were somewhat serious.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

While he is/was(still haven't seen an official announcement?) a free agent in no way were 30 teams interested in him. 10 I'd say had some interest and about 5 were somewhat serious.

"If you could choose from 30 NHL teams" is in no way a statement that there are 30 NHL teams interested in you.  The 2 things are very different. 

1 minute ago, CupIsComing said:

Just wait until the Oil sign Boeser...then these boards will light up!

(and I ain't joking...Nux fans better manage their expectations...a lot can change in a year despite what Boeser says now...I think he will sign elsewhere).

All we heard prior to the Canucks signing Thatcher Demko was how he was going to bolt for free agency. He is now under contract at a very manageable figure of $0.925 million until 2019. We've signed Garteig and Stetcher as UFA's for 1-2 years based on age. 

There are less jobs for Demko and Garteig than there is for wingers. And we desperately need a goal scoring winger. Given how well he's performed, and that the kid has a solid head on his shoulders. Why do you think he will bolt? Even if the Sedins are still first line players when he comes here, I'm pretty sure he'd get top line minutes. 

6 minutes ago, CupIsComing said:

Just wait until the Oil sign Boeser...then these boards will light up!

(and I ain't joking...Nux fans better manage their expectations...a lot can change in a year despite what Boeser says now...I think he will sign elsewhere).

What makes you think that? Seems a silly statement ment to inflame Nuck fans. He's gotten some hype because of his playoffs which is good but just because he's been praised doesn't mean he suddenly is going to hope ship.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

All we heard prior to the Canucks signing Thatcher Demko was how he was going to bolt for free agency. He is now under contract at a very manageable figure of $0.925 million until 2019. We've signed Garteig and Stetcher as UFA's for 1-2 years based on age. 

There are less jobs for Demko and Garteig than there is for wingers. And we desperately need a goal scoring winger. Given how well he's performed, and that the kid has a solid head on his shoulders. Why do you think he will bolt? Even if the Sedins are still first line players when he comes here, I'm pretty sure he'd get top line minutes. 

You are not going to like my answer, my reasoning isn't hockey related.

This team is incapable of having the kind of luck where a 23rd pick becomes a first-line player.

It is a coping mechanism...I cannot allow myself to enjoy the hope and dream of Boeser being here because it will hurt way more when he doesn't!

(by the way, I tried to employ the same strategy to the draft lottery...and it still ripped my guts out). So maybe this coping mechanism isn't that effective? :huh:

13 minutes ago, CupIsComing said:

This team is incapable of having the kind of luck where a 23rd pick becomes a first-line player.

It is a coping mechanism...I cannot allow myself to enjoy the hope and dream of Boeser being here because it will hurt way more when he doesn't!

(by the way, I tried to employ the same strategy to the draft lottery...and it still ripped my guts out). So maybe this coping mechanism isn't that effective? :huh:

So you're expecting the worst, but hoping for the best? 

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So you're expecting the worst, but hoping for the best? 

Exactly! (ugh...what does that say about my general outlook on life)? :unsure:

I do agree with your assessment regarding how well Boeser will fit here and why it would be attractive to him...if I let myself think about it!

It would have been nice to land Caggiula, but honestly no one knows what this guy will be. Lots of smallish forwards in the world besides him. If Demko had decided to go back to college and become a free agent and then signed with Edmonton then I might blow a gasket. 

Also the idea that Edmonton is getting "our guy" from this years draft is overkill. We're getting a great forward no matter what and likely one that develops better here than in Edmonton. It makes total sense that Drake would want guaranteed ice time, but he'd better pray he's not just become the next Yakipov. 

If your scenario is correct, we are basically getting Tkachuk instead of Caggiula, and anyone would make that trade. 

1 hour ago, CupIsComing said:

I think Boeser being a 40 pt player in the NHL would surpass a lot of expectations. Especially at 23rd overall. I'd be happy at Boeser being just a legit top 6 forward. 

Drake probably didn't sign here because he knew he would have to compete for a spot on our opening night roster or either put some time in down with the Comets. Edmonton because they don't know how to develop players probably enticed him with a guaranteed spot in the line up. I mean, that's great for Drake. But it also tells us that he either feels entitled after a good season in college hockey or he doesn't like to work for his job. If that's the case, your not welcome here Drake. You gotta work for everything in life. Now you can watch your former teammates out hear on the coast ram it down your neck for years. Best of luck though. 

2 hours ago, Jaku said:

It's the same story over and over. The Oilers sign highly touted young player, turns out he doesn't fit the system well, puts up very few points, is a minus player, and ends up leaving the organization in a few years. 

I imagine he signed because he wanted more ice time, and more than likely wanted to play with McDavid. Who wouldn't?

Name one other "highly touted young player" the Oilers have signed in the last 10 years besides Justin Schultz?....Do you even watch hockey or just read message boards and make idiotic statements..?

Archived