Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) This team needs a legit 1st line Center, to replace Hanky


Recommended Posts

I agree with Stamkos. Perhaps it wouldn't cost $11 million per, seeing his health issues. Then again, a lot of teams would probably be willing to overpay. But this team doesn't have a #1C, including Henrik. We need this.

 

With TOR most likely drafting Matthews, Stamkos won't be going to TOR. Hopefully Benning can sell it to Stamkos, that he would be our #1C moving forward, with the Sedins on the 2nd line.

 

Hey you never know. Maybe Benning will draft Tkachuk (Stamkos' LWer?). Sedins can play with Rodin on the all-Swedish line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 2:43 PM, Fanuck said:

Fixed that for ya:P!

 

I'd gladly have Stamkos eat up 10m of our cap if he was willing to sign here.  If we got Laine, maybe then, but we just don't have the assets yet to surround Stamkos with the talent he deserves, or I believe he would expect from the team he goes to.

 

Any time you have a young(ish), elite talent and character guy that you can obtain in a position that badly needs filling, I say you go for it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is true, who would Stamkos even play with if he signed here? We don't really have a top line LW or RW. And if the Canucks blow their load on Stamkos, they won't have much left to sign any other UFAs. Even if Benning drafts Tkachuk this summer, he may not be ready for the NHL next season. What about Backes? (big, physical C, 32 yrs old and about half the cost) - but really not at the same level as Stamkos. There really aren't any other UFA Cs at Stamkos' level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Backes is a good player, but he's best at 2C which isn't going to help us enough.  The title of the thread is correct - we do need a legit #1 center.  We absolutely should do what we can to get Stamkos here, but he'd have to be willing to play a year or two with inadequate linemates.  Best we can provide at this point is Baertschi on the left and... Sutter on the right?  I'm sure he says "Thanks but no thanks".  We could put him on the wing with the Sedins perhaps, though he apparently prefers center.  At least then he has quality linemates.  Then in two years if the Sedins retire we should have had opportunity to develop and/or acquire better top line talent.

Really, just don't see it happening.  BUT if it did, how's this for a potential lineup... assuming our young guys develop as hoped:

Dubois/Tkachuk - Stamkos - Boeser
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
McCann - Sutter - Hansen 
Etem - Granlund - Dorsett
Gaunce

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/05/2016 at 4:53 PM, captaincowbasher said:

Hutton will be that much better and with the tournament he's in now he'll be even more confident, he will sot in and Hammer's comming back so we're ok on the right side.

They both play on the left side though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

Backes is a good player, but he's best at 2C which isn't going to help us enough.  The title of the thread is correct - we do need a legit #1 center.  We absolutely should do what we can to get Stamkos here, but he'd have to be willing to play a year or two with inadequate linemates.  Best we can provide at this point is Baertschi on the left and... Sutter on the right?  I'm sure he says "Thanks but no thanks".  We could put him on the wing with the Sedins perhaps, though he apparently prefers center.  At least then he has quality linemates.  Then in two years if the Sedins retire we should have had opportunity to develop and/or acquire better top line talent.

Really, just don't see it happening.  BUT if it did, how's this for a potential lineup... assuming our young guys develop as hoped:

Dubois/Tkachuk - Stamkos - Boeser
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
McCann - Sutter - Hansen 
Etem - Granlund - Dorsett
Gaunce

 

Imagine if we could get an asset for the Sedins at the draft.  How nice it would be if we could get on with this immediately,  maybe with an extra piece.  Anaheim ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Duchene is a great player, but he's not worth the pieces you have to give up to get him IMO. At least not for us, who's not stocked with prospects. 

I'd love to get Stammer though, but I see no reason for him to chose Vancouver. Except for money and that it's a great city, but that can be said about many places. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, clam linguine said:

Imagine if we could get an asset for the Sedins at the draft.  How nice it would be if we could get on with this immediately,  maybe with an extra piece.  Anaheim ?

Honestly, I don't even want to entertain that - for two reasons.  This is a rare instance where I'd rather let someone leave the team with nothing coming back.

 

1) The Sedins have spent their entire career here.  They deserve to end it here.

2) They also deserve to take another run at a cup with us.  I think they will still be able to contribute in 2 years when their contracts are over at a 2nd line level.  So if they were willing to re-sign for a year or two at a greatly reduced rate, I would be happy if we entertained that.  If there is any chance at all of this happening, the chances become less likely if they are traded elsewhere. 

Sedins will not likely be as productive in 2 years, but to have talent like them on our 2nd line would be pretty impressive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Honestly, I don't even want to entertain that - for two reasons.  This is a rare instance where I'd rather let someone leave the team with nothing coming back.

 

1) The Sedins have spent their entire career here.  They deserve to end it here.

2) They also deserve to take another run at a cup with us.  I think they will still be able to contribute in 2 years when their contracts are over at a 2nd line level.  So if they were willing to re-sign for a year or two at a greatly reduced rate, I would be happy if we entertained that.  If there is any chance at all of this happening, the chances become less likely if they are traded elsewhere. 

Sedins will not likely be as productive in 2 years, but to have talent like them on our 2nd line would be pretty impressive.

Nice sentiments but my guess is that by the middle of next year no one will be entertaining the thought of resigning them. Actually, they will probably be injured, so the fantasy might continue.  You have a nice line up there but if you think we owe the Sedins something, we don't agree.  We owe them nothing...they owe us.  To their credit, they may know this better than most CDCers.

 

Have you been watching the playoffs?   Talk about No Country For Old Men...lol.  There will be no cup runs with the Sedins in any capacity.  Their farewell tour should be coming to an end now!  There will be no warm fuzzy feelings until they leave, think about it.

 

Yup...we need a new number one center, but we need one asap.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Nice sentiments but my guess is that by the middle of next year no one will be entertaining the thought of resigning them. Actually, they will probably be injured, so the fantasy might continue.  You have a nice line up there but if you think we owe the Sedins something, we don't agree.  We owe them nothing...they owe us.  To their credit, they may know this better than most CDCers.

 

Have you been watching the playoffs?   Talk about No Country For Old Men...lol.  There will be no cup runs with the Sedins in any capacity.  Their farewell tour should be coming to an end now!  There will be no warm fuzzy feelings now until they leave, think about it.

 

Yup...we need a new number one center, but we need one asap.

You may be right.  They certainly slowed their pace as the season wore on, and if that trend continues I would totally agree with you.  (Though they are not at all injury-prone so I'm not sure that would factor into it).  However, they showed earlier in the season they were not washed up as many had believed, so I'm hoping that we see that resurgence again next season.

I do question how "ASAP" we need that center.  No matter how optimistic one may be for next season, I don't think anyone believes we are likely to be a contender.  To me, even if we were to somehow miraculously land Stamkos, his abilities would not be complimented properly for at least another year or two.  So I want Benning to push for him, but I believe it would be for the purposes of long-term success more than it would be with the belief we would make a cup run next year.   That especially holds true if you are correct in assuming we will be unhappy with the performance of the Sedins for their last two remaining years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

19 minutes ago, kloubek said:



I do question how "ASAP" we need that center.  No matter how optimistic one may be for next season, I don't think anyone believes we are likely to be a contender.  To me, even if we were to somehow miraculously land Stamkos, his abilities would not be complimented properly for at least another year or two.  So I want Benning to push for him, but I believe it would be for the purposes of long-term success more than it would be with the belief we would make a cup run next year.   That especially holds true if you are correct in assuming we will be unhappy with the performance of the Sedins for their last two remaining years.

You are right on the money here.  Stamkos is available now...so that would be the urgency. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, clam linguine said:

 

 

You are right on the money here.  Stamkos is available now...so that would be the urgency. 

Exactly true.  We've spend the Benning era amassing the talent we haven't had before, so we don't want to give that up via a trade.  With 1st line, young centers almost never hitting UFA I agree that this is a rare opportunity we'd be silly not to move on if we can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2016-05-07 at 1:36 PM, Pears said:

We could get this guy for free

image.jpeg

First of all, no one will get Stamkos for free. It will cost a massive portion of your cap. But sure, if you want to overpay for a guy on the downside of his best year. What organization will be the sucker and pay for past performance??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

First of all, no one will get Stamkos for free. It will cost a massive portion of your cap. But sure, if you want to overpay for a guy on the downside of his best year. What organization will be the sucker and pay for past performance??

I don't think you got the point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pears said:

I don't think you got the point. 

Well if the point is that because Stamkos is an UFA, any team can get him for free, than my comment stands. If the point was that Stamkos is an UFA because TB didn't believe he was worth resigning, than my comment stands too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

Well if the point is that because Stamkos is an UFA, any team can get him for free, than my comment stands. If the point was that Stamkos is an UFA because TB didn't believe he was worth resigning, than my comment stands too.

My point was; why trade for a top center by giving up valuable assets, where instead, you could sign a top center who's even better than Duchene, and keep those assets to build around him? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One can dream for this future lineup!

 

Dubois - Stamkos - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson/Rodin
Baerschti - Horvat - Virtanen
Etem - Sutter - Dorsett
Gaunce, Granlund
 
Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Newcomer STUD D
Tryamkin - Larsen
Biega - Brisebois
 
Markstrom
Demko
 
-Trade Hansen, McCann & pick for Top 3 STUD D
-Trade Sbisa for a pick
-Trade/buy out Burrows and Higgins
-Let Miller & Dorsett play out contracts
-Rodin with Sedins if Eriksson is not signed
-Trade for Duchene when we realize Stamkos will never sign with us
 
Basically free up as much cap space as possible and make a run at Stamkos and Eriksson!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2016 at 10:06 PM, davidtriemstra said:

One can dream for this future lineup!

 

Dubois - Stamkos - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson/Rodin
Baerschti - Horvat - Virtanen
Etem - Sutter - Dorsett
Gaunce, Granlund
 
Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Newcomer STUD D
Tryamkin - Larsen
Biega - Brisebois
 
Markstrom
Demko
 
-Trade Hansen, McCann & pick for Top 3 STUD D
-Trade Sbisa for a pick
-Trade/buy out Burrows and Higgins
-Let Miller & Dorsett play out contracts
-Rodin with Sedins if Eriksson is not signed
-Trade for Duchene when we realize Stamkos will never sign with us
 
Basically free up as much cap space as possible and make a run at Stamkos and Eriksson!

OMG... its OK not to put the Sedins in Dream Lineups.  The dream is for them to be gone... for an asset(fantasy?).  To have them still around when Boeser is a #1 winger is a nightmare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...