Baertschi* - Horvat - Virtanen

Etem* - Granland - Dorsett^

Tanev - Edler

Unclear - Hutton

Tryamkin - Sbisa^

Miller

Markstrom

$14.7 M to spend before re-signing RFA's

20 Players Signed before RFA (Including Higgins) (Dump Higgins or Buyout)

$1.5M For Baertschi

$1.2M For Etem

-----------------------

$12M to spend on 1 LW and 1 D

* RFA still needed to be signed

^ Moveable assists

McCann starts in AHL

Needs 2nd Line LW and top 4 dman

unlikely anyone we draft this year in the first round will be able to make the jump.

Top LW UFA's

Lucic Is going to want 7-9M and play first line mints.

Ladd is going to want 5-7M

Versteeg 5-6M

Boedker 5-6M

McGinn 4-6M

Perron 5-7M

Unrealistic to think McGinn is going to sign with the Canucks but he looks like the best bang for your buck player on that list.

If Lucic wants to sign for cheap which i don't think he will for the history the canucks fans have done to him and his family

Top D UFA's D have been over valued in the past and i don't see that changing this year likst Brooks Orpik getting 5.5M$

Keith Yandle $5.5-8m

Alex Goligoski $5-6m

Jason Demers $4.5M

Kris Russell $3.5-5.5M

David Schlemko $3.5-5.5M

Dan Hamhuis $4.5M If we can get Dan Hamhuis at a discunted rate and is willing to take a pay cut $4m for Dan would not be a bad Idea.

The two most interesting Free Agents for the canucks are David Schlemko and Jamie McGinn. Making the lines

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

McGinn - Sutter - Hansen^

Tanev - Edler

Schlemko - Hutton

Tryamkin - Sbisa^

Miller

Markstrom

Non of these match for who is gonna get the money. Lucie is not a 7million or more. Look who most the guys got traded for. The only guy who matches is Russell. Shlemko isn't worth over 1.5 million.

Versteeg is worth like 2 million. McGinn is worth like 1-2 million. Perron 3 million. Also why does everyone think Sutter will play on the 2nd line and Horvat won't. He has proven he can play high minutes,

1 hour ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Non of these match for who is gonna get the money. Lucie is not a 7million or more. Look who most the guys got traded for. The only guy who matches is Russell. Shlemko isn't worth over 1.5 million.

Versteeg is worth like 2 million. McGinn is worth like 1-2 million. Perron 3 million. Also why does everyone think Sutter will play on the 2nd line and Horvat won't. He has proven he can play high minutes,

Because he was overwhelmed in the 2nd line position shown by his -30.

9 minutes ago, hockeyking said:

Well, to be picking nits, that minus was actually a plus over that last (almost) quarter of the season.  Bo adapted to the role, and became very good at it.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Well, to be picking nits, that minus was actually a plus over that last (almost) quarter of the season.  Bo adapted to the role, and became very good at it.  

In the last 20 games he was a plus 1 and that is only because in the final 6 games he was +6 when granlund was playing 2C. Before that in the previous 14 games he had only one plus game and was a -5.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

so you go away and then come back here with nits?

Yandle would give our weak PP a blueline presence, but term should be 4 years at 6 mill

Hammer could be a decent option

That being said unless we throw big money around, chances of a UFA coming to a rebuilding club are remote. We will have to overpay like we did with Miller

Other than that, pretty good read OP

I think with Burr and Higgs we pay half the salary and try to trade them,people keep forgetting how many D we have and Rodin and so on,we have exactly 4 to many players that want NHL time,so to say we are going to sign UFA;s is only possible if we make some trades!

5 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

It's hard to predict how much one player will get because value is in the team that offers the money.

Lucic was drafted in 2006 with 647 games played and 397 points.

Other players in the draft that has played around same games with same points

Jordan Staal 6m/y

Kyle Okposo UFA 2.8M last year

Bryan Little 4.7m/y

Nick Foligno 5.5m/y

Derick Brassard 5m/y

And players with around the same scouting output drafted in 2005

T.J. Oshie 4.1m/y

Kristopher Letang 7.2m/y * D* more value

Keith Yandle 5.2m/y

Patric Hornqvist 4.2m/y

James Neal 5m/y

7m might be high but he is considered the top forward in the UFA class this year and the salary cap is going up next year. And there are a lot of teams right now that have money to spend that need a top UFA that are willing to spend money on a high impact forward that has put up 4 20+G seasons.

Versteeg is worth more then 2m. Even for the fact that we pay Hansen 2.5m.

McGinn scored 22 Goals last year, 19 in 2014. We payed Jason Garrison 4.6M after only having 16 goals the year before. And McGinn has more experience then Jason did.

4 hours ago, hockeyking said:

Is exactly why he is playing on the 3ed line. It will take pressure off him and allow him to develop as he should be.

11 hours ago, ChampStatus said:

Going into UFA line up:

Unclear - Sutter - Hansen^

Tanev - Edler

Unclear - Hutton

Tryamkin - Sbisa^

Miller

Markstrom

Good work but you're starting from some assumptions that aren't quite accurate.

1. Don't count on Burrows even being in the line up let alone starting on the top line.
  2. Baertschi will play at 2LW

So for forwards, they need a top 6 RW

On D, Benning hopes to re-sign Hamhuis because he is a team culture carrier, leader, mentor and has shown that he can still play.  The question is whether he will sign for what the Canucks can afford and at a reasonable term.  He's not a typical player who will go after the money like the media keeps saying.  I'm sure he will take a home town discount.  He's not a sure thing.

Bottom line on D is that they can get a good player for a price they couldn't get on the open market but do they want help on the right side anyways?  Depth is:

Edler        Tanev

Hutton      Tryamkin

Hamhuis* Larsen

Sbisa       Biega

Pedan      Stecher

2nd pair right side is the issue.  Lots of questions on right side:  Tryamkin, Larsen, Stecher

9 hours ago, hockeyking said:

In the last 20 games he was a plus 1 and that is only because in the final 6 games he was +6 when granlund was playing 2C. Before that in the previous 14 games he had only one plus game and was a -5.

Bo was plus 1 in his last quarter.  That's playing second line center, with the most D-zone starts, and number one PK, with very little PP.  The guy is already an awesome 2 center.  He's going to be our number one center too.

11 hours ago, ChampStatus said:

Your list has a lot of 'meh'.  You call them realistic,  I call them underwhelming. Save the money,  put deserving guys from Utica in there this year and invest in quality talent the following year when hopefully playoffs might be a reasonable possibility? 

Or get some Ufa guys on short term no ntc style deals. One d and one forward if you think this team is playoff possible next season. 

12 hours ago, ChampStatus said:

Going into UFA line up:

Unclear - Sutter - Hansen^

Tanev - Edler

Unclear - Hutton

Tryamkin - Sbisa^

Miller

Markstrom

$14.7 M to spend before re-signing RFA's

20 Players Signed before RFA (Including Higgins) (Dump Higgins or Buyout)

$1.5M For Baertschi

$1.2M For Etem

-----------------------

$12M to spend on 1 LW and 1 D

* RFA still needed to be signed

^ Moveable assists

McCann starts in AHL

Needs 2nd Line LW and top 4 dman

unlikely anyone we draft this year in the first round will be able to make the jump.

Top LW UFA's

Lucic Is going to want 7-9M and play first line mints.

Ladd is going to want 5-7M

Versteeg 5-6M

Boedker 5-6M

McGinn 4-6M

Perron 5-7M

Unrealistic to think McGinn is going to sign with the Canucks but he looks like the best bang for your buck player on that list.

If Lucic wants to sign for cheap which i don't think he will for the history the canucks fans have done to him and his family

Top D UFA's D have been over valued in the past and i don't see that changing this year likst Brooks Orpik getting 5.5M$

Keith Yandle $5.5-8m

Alex Goligoski $5-6m

Jason Demers $4.5M

Kris Russell $3.5-5.5M

David Schlemko $3.5-5.5M

Dan Hamhuis $4.5M If we can get Dan Hamhuis at a discunted rate and is willing to take a pay cut $4m for Dan would not be a bad Idea.

The two most interesting Free Agents for the canucks are David Schlemko and Jamie McGinn. Making the lines

McGinn - Sutter - Hansen^

Tanev - Edler

Schlemko - Hutton

Tryamkin - Sbisa^

Miller

Markstrom

Kris Versteeg may want 5-6 mill, but there is no way he would get that much on a 2 year deal! Add McGinn at 4-6 mill and Peron at 5-7 to your list of ridiculous wants, again maybe over multiple years.

I like that you think Hamhuis will sign for a "discunted" rate!

I heard Lucic has bad breath, so I'm sure he wants 1st line "mints"too!

I hope we don't move too much of our tradable "assists" though.

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bo was plus 1 in his last quarter.  That's playing second line center, with the most D-zone starts, and number one PK, with very little PP.  The guy is already an awesome 2 center.  He's going to be our number one center too.

Although they called him C2 I thought he had the role of a C3 all year - D-zone starts while going up against other teams top scoring lines.  On most other teams the C2 starts in the O-zone and not in the D-zone and their role is to score.  Horvat's role was to prevent scoring.

On the Wild their 3rd line was by far their most productive line since Torchetti took over.  Haula got promoted to C3 and had 21pts in 27 games.  Even in the playoffs - they were their highest scoring line (17pts in 6 games).  Their strong defensive game allows them to break up plays and more often than not they were just able to rush the other way and score.  

That seems to be Horvat's strength too.  Can he be as effective with more O-zone starts where to score it will be more by creating plays down low instead of using his power/speed to score off the rush?  I don't know - I just find that the Canucks have an edge here with Horvat and that teams are going to try and build their checking line on this model.   

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Although they called him C2 I thought he had the role of a C3 all year - D-zone starts while going up against other teams top scoring lines.  On most other teams the C2 starts in the O-zone and not in the D-zone and their role is to score.  Horvat's role was to prevent scoring.

On the Wild their 3rd line was by far their most productive line since Torchetti took over.  Haula got promoted to C3 and had 21pts in 27 games.  Even in the playoffs - they were their highest scoring line (17pts in 6 games).  Their strong defensive game allows them to break up plays and more often than not they were just able to rush the other way and score.  

That seems to be Horvat's strength too.  Can he be as effective with more O-zone starts where to score it will be more by creating plays down low instead of using his power/speed to score off the rush?  I don't know - I just find that the Canucks have an edge here with Horvat and that teams are going to try and build their checking line on this model.   

I agree.  It seems the teams are all moving towards these so called 200 foot players.  They put up fewer points, but play in all 3 zones, and in all situations.  I watch Kopitar in LA, and Toews in Chi, and Bergeron in Bos, and can't help but see a lot of their qualities in Bo.  Maybe that's what JB sees in Dubious?  

Archived