The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What you did about your real life crushes..

Mainly Mattias

I had a crush on a girl I'd never met but lived in my city. Innocent enough. A year later I randomly met her during a work function, totally unexpected. She didn't even work at my company. Never thought I'd meet her in person. 

She actually ended up texting me later that day (got my number via a business card), and asked me out for a drink

I had to inform her that I was getting married later that month.

18 hours ago, nzan said:

Haha, I thought nobody remembered that Default was a part of theory of a nicklefault! 

What bands did you tour with?!

This question sucks because I love talking about it. Hahah. But I'm not a big fan of telling everyone on the Internet who I am. 

Growing up I had a friend who's dad was a big shot at a large music label.   He got me a couple gigs when I was 18-19 filling in for a band who's drummer 'had some issues'. 

It was great because I ended up starting a career because of it.   I made great connections and basically worked as a 'back up drummer'.   

Not really consistent work, but I got to do the Warped tour and Taste of Chaos tour. 

They were fun. Did a small tour in Europe. 

Now I'm a studio drummer, which is pretty sweet.  I do the odd music store kinda runs giving drum clinics and such.  

A wife with a baby on the way kinda keeps me home more than I like ;) 

34 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

This question sucks because I love talking about it. Hahah. But I'm not a big fan of telling everyone on the Internet who I am. 

Growing up I had a friend who's dad was a big shot at a large music label.   He got me a couple gigs when I was 18-19 filling in for a band who's drummer 'had some issues'. 

It was great because I ended up starting a career because of it.   I made great connections and basically worked as a 'back up drummer'.   

Not really consistent work, but I got to do the Warped tour and Taste of Chaos tour. 

Now I'm a studio drummer, which is pretty sweet.  I do the odd music store kinda runs giving drum clinics and such.  

cool!

i was a drummer in a former life myself...like most guys though, all my bands were too lazy to book shows and try to carve a career...

41 minutes ago, nzan said:

cool!

i was a drummer in a former life myself...like most guys though, all my bands were too lazy to book shows and try to carve a career...

I lucked out and got put in my position from my friends dad.  I owe him everything.  I'd be playing at the cobalt if it weren't for him.  

49 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I lucked out and got put in my position from my friends dad.  I owe him everything.  I'd be playing at the cobalt if it weren't for him.  

fair enough and always good to honour those that have blessed us. still, you wouldn't even be playing the cobalt if you didn't make a regular habit about showing up on time, sober and being legitimately good at what you do.

On 2016-05-12 at 5:24 AM, drummerboy said:

Very cool...now we know the inspiration behind your handle.  Keep on thumpin', drummer.  Wife and baby...life is good, ain't it?  

On 5/10/2016 at 2:08 AM, Twilight Sparkle said:

girls i had crushes on i just pretended to ignored them and tried play mysterious. that didn't work. then i tried to be an asshole, that didn't work. then i would straight up confess and i ended up standing there scratching my head awkwardly, trying to play it off as people looked on.

i gave a girl i crushed on, well we actually had a thing for each other, when we were in grade 8 a ring and her parents were NOT happy. i stopped talking to her after that in the summer time and a year later a friend told me she threatened to kill me for some unknown reason D:

i had more luck being experimental than being with girls :x

Wait. You're a guy!? :wub:

I always thought you were chick :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

I just accidentally blurt my feelings out and tell them I like their face. #smooth

thats better than asking if you could lick their face

On 5/19/2016 at 5:12 PM, the last outlaw said:

Wait. You're a guy!? :wub:

I always thought you were chick :lol:

just look in post yo face in twilight sparkle thread a4vnmg.jpg

4 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

thats better than asking if you could lick their face

just look in post yo face in twilight sparkle thread a4vnmg.jpg

Haha.  That might work if you try it enough tho.   Big ol face lick. 

And don't try to send people into the Twilight posts his face thread. 

It's so weird in there!  Haha

7 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Haha.  That might work if you try it enough tho.   Big ol face lick. 

And don't try to send people into the Twilight posts his face thread. 

It's so weird in there!  Haha

you should have been there for summer 2013, if you wanted to see weird ;D

1237ia9.jpg

On 6/2/2016 at 9:16 PM, Qwags said:

Absolutely nothing. I regret it.

There was one girl I really liked in high school, but figured there was no way she would be into me. Felt she was way outta my league. Turns out, she did like me. 

That taught me to just go for it.  

• 8 months later...

A few months ago, I like this girl who's 4 years older than me and I really liked her overall as a person and found her really attractive. I finally got her number one day and started texting her and we went out as friends for a few movies and hang outs here and there. At first we texted a lot and we enjoyed each other's company. I guess I just become to dependent on her and that really started to annoy her. I also believed that she sensed the fact that I like her more than just friends. It was really stupid part of myself to not give her enough personal space and last week she texted me saying that we are different and we are not even able to be friends. I later confessed to her in a text and I offer the idea that maybe in a few months to a year when time goes by we can see if we can reconcile this friendship and she responded with "Friendship is not possible, please respect how I feel." Now I feel really sad not only because I got rejected but the fact that I just lost a great friend as well, because she is such a great person that even if I couldn't be with her I wouldn't want to lose contact with her forever. I just hope as time goes by she realized that we were once friends and hope she understands that one day friendship is still possible. I learned a lot in this one because I understand the importance of giving someone personal space, and don't overwhelm them when they are not ready. 

What does my fellow CDC fans think of us? Is it possible for us to ever be friends again? She's a Leafs fan and we did talk about how the next time when Toronto comes to town we would go to a game together but the earliest for that to happen will be next season, and do you think there is a possiblity that by then we will be friends again to go watch the game?

4 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

A few months ago, I like this girl who's 4 years older than me and I really liked her overall as a person and found her really attractive. I finally got her number one day and started texting her and we went out as friends for a few movies and hang outs here and there. At first we texted a lot and we enjoyed each other's company. I guess I just become to dependent on her and that really started to annoy her. I also believed that she sensed the fact that I like her more than just friends. It was really stupid part of myself to not give her enough personal space and last week she texted me saying that we are different and we are not even able to be friends. I later confessed to her in a text and I offer the idea that maybe in a few months to a year when time goes by we can see if we can reconcile this friendship and she responded with "Friendship is not possible, please respect how I feel." Now I feel really sad not only because I got rejected but the fact that I just lost a great friend as well, because she is such a great person that even if I couldn't be with her I wouldn't want to lose contact with her forever. I just hope as time goes by she realized that we were once friends and hope she understands that one day friendship is still possible. I learned a lot in this one because I understand the importance of giving someone personal space, and don't overwhelm them when they are not ready. 

What does my fellow CDC fans think of us? Is it possible for us to ever be friends again? She's a Leafs fan and we did talk about how the next time when Toronto comes to town we would go to a game together but the earliest for that to happen will be next season, and do you think there is a possiblity that by then we will be friends again to go watch the game?

I f you really like her being just friends is a hard thing to do..usually thats the line you get when a girl wants to dump you.."I like you as a friend"....this girl doesnt even want to be friends with you....cold.....but I think its time to move on...you only invested a few months...thank your lucky stars it wasnt a few years....there will be others and this girl will be a distant memory..trust me...and dont crowd a girl...if they like you...they will show it....good luck.

3 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I f you really like her being just friends is a hard thing to do..usually thats the line you get when a girl wants to dump you.."I like you as a friend"....this girl doesnt even want to be friends with you....cold.....but I think its time to move on...you only invested a few months...thank your lucky stars it wasnt a few years....there will be others and this girl will be a distant memory..trust me...and dont crowd a girl...if they like you...they will show it....good luck.

I did really liked her but I also understood the chances of us ending up together was all up in the air because our age differences (I am 20 and she's 24) and our future career paths is still unclear, so all the way along I had the thing in my mind that if it doesn't work let's just be friends again. What was stupid of me was that I kept texting her and we work our part-time job together and I kept being overwhelming when we were working (couldn't help myself). And I think she got really annoyed (she's also stressed out with other things in her life and I believe what I did really didn't help her in this aspect) and that's why she said friendship is not possible. In the end, I just don't want things to end ugly and it's a shame that we couldn't even end up as friends. But anyways, thank you so much for your advice, I am just hoping that one day we can still be friends.

I always tried way too hard with my crushes and basically smothered them. I couldn't take the hint they weren't interested (or I realized it, but ignored it in desperation). I'm sure I scared more than a few guys away. No one I was interested in ever really seemed to be interested in me. I gave up on dating/relationships entirely at the ripe old age of 21, and only after that did I actually find a meaningful relationship (our friends set us up).

My bf is similar. We both agree that if we broke up now we'd make a killing on the dating scene since we finally have figured out this whole dating/flirtation thing. Sometimes I feel like I missed an opportunity by getting into a serious relationship so young. I never got to sow my oats, so to speak, although I doubt there's anyone else out there who would want to farm with me anyway ^_^. Oh well. Grass is greener, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 9:37 PM, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I always tried way too hard with my crushes and basically smothered them. I couldn't take the hint they weren't interested (or I realized it, but ignored it in desperation). I'm sure I scared more than a few guys away. No one I was interested in ever really seemed to be interested in me. I gave up on dating/relationships entirely at the ripe old age of 21, and only after that did I actually find a meaningful relationship (our friends set us up).

My bf is similar. We both agree that if we broke up now we'd make a killing on the dating scene since we finally have figured out this whole dating/flirtation thing. Sometimes I feel like I missed an opportunity by getting into a serious relationship so young. I never got to sow my oats, so to speak, although I doubt there's anyone else out there who would want to farm with me anyway ^_^. Oh well. Grass is greener, etc.

I wouldn't regret missed opportunities of the past.  Think of it as it's a part of you that makes your current relationship successful.

Growing up I was notorious for keeping crushes secret.  At that time, it would frustrate me.  But when I think back on it, although I was interested in the girl, the typical "teenage" relationship held no interest to me (heh, or was foreign to me).  I'm perfectly happy now in a long term meaningful relationship.  I don't feel like I missed out a all, as maybe a lack of confidence for an extended period of time helps give me the motivation to maintain the current relationship.

Archived