The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic has rescinded his trade request

36 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet folks would seemingly have no issue giving up Tanev. 

Hamonic is basically Tanev with added physicality (and a maybe smidge more offense). It'd be mostly a lateral move but it would be an upgrade.

Perhaps he realized that the Isles are going to be even better next year and sees every team in Western Canada won't be - and decided to work around his personal family concerns to accommodate staying in NY. 

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

tanev is no Hamonic

You're really bent on downplaying Tanev for some reason.

Relative corsi and corsi on:

Tanev  +6.1, +0.36

Hamonic +2.8, +0.04

Quality of comp:

Tanev +0.585

Hamonic +0.854

Defensive zone starts, ozone finishes

Tanev 43.3% ozone starts, 48.9% finishes

Hamonic 49.9% starts, 48,7% finishes

Blocked shots

Tanev 166

Hamonic 125

Tanev 18 - 4 g 14 a

Hamonic 21 5 g 16a 

Icetime/game

Tanev 21.8

Hamonic 23.8

Contract 

Tanev 5 yrs at 4.45

Hamonic 4 yrs at 3.86

Tanev 26

Hamonic 25

Not sure how you come to the conclusion you do.  Virtually all indicators point to two players that are extremely comparable.

25 minutes ago, Monty said:

Literally the last team that Chevy would trade Trouba to is the Canucks. They don't enticing enough pieces to make it worth the Jets while.

Just for fun...

McCann, Subban, 2016 2nd round pick, 2017 3rd round pick

Am I even in the ball park?

29 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Hamonic is basically Tanev with added physicality (and a maybe smidge more offense). It'd be mostly a lateral move but it would be an upgrade.

Tanev with slightly better possession numbers and a role that slightly leans more to the shutdown side - and a better shot blocker, which may not be 'physicality' but it is grit.

The margins between these two imo are extremely slight.

I realize the reluctance to acknowledge this may be in part due to 'pedigree', but Tanev does not pale in comparison by any stretch of the imagination and it's not hard to make the case that he is the better defensive blueliner, playing on a weaker pssession team. 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Tanev with slightly better possession numbers and a role that slightly leans more to the shutdown side - and a better shot blocker, which may not be 'physicality' but it is grit.

The margins between these two imo are extremely slight.

I realize the reluctance to acknowledge this may be in part due to 'pedigree', but Tanev does not pale in comparison by any stretch of the imagination and it's not hard to make the case that he is a more intelligent defensive blueliner, who plays on a weaker pssession team. 

As I said, largely lateral.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

As I said, largely lateral.

Lol.  I was backing your point J.R. (perhaps slightly tempering the 'upgrade' claim by pointing out the balancing factors that almost put these two at a dead draw).

Tanev reads the play at an elite level, and anticipates as well as anyone in the game.

His puck retrieval and movement is also under-rated.

His shooting percentage this season was 9.5%, 9.2% two years ago, 10% the year before  - if he'd actually take more shots, his production might increase, which is why I think they're flirting with getting him into more offensive situations.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

I agree for me Tanev is the most untouchable player on the Canucks after Horvat. Vast overpayment needed to move either.

I know I've stated I'm not for trading Tanev but....

Gosh....with Hamonic being off the market, the devils advocate inside me wonders just what that Oilers overpayment would look like.

How bout Edler? Would he be enticing enough for a nice package? Say starting with their #4? 

Just spit Ballin here.....

1 minute ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I know I've stated I'm not for trading Tanev but....

Gosh....with Hamonic being off the market, the devils advocate inside me wonders just what that Oilers overpayment would look like.

How bout Edler? Would he be enticing enough for a nice package? Say starting with their #4? 

Just spit Ballin here.....

Edler wouldn't waive for Edmonton and Edmonton wouldn't trade their 4th overall pick for him....so there's that.

22 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Just for fun...

McCann, Subban, 2016 2nd round pick, 2017 3rd round pick

Am I even in the ball park?

McCann: Not needed. Jets already have the top two centres nailed down, while Adam Lowry is a prototypical 3rd line center, so McCann is redundant.

Subban: Undersized RHD who will never make his way past Buff or Myers on the depth chart. So, at best, he'd be a 13 minute per night 3rd pairing defenseman, who is undersized. I'd rather wait for 6'3", 210 pound Tucker Poolman to anchor he 3rd pairing.

Picks: Pass.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Guess his family issues aren't as insurmountable as they first seemed.

Or maybe time won. I don't think if was ever announced what the issue was, could have been a sick grandparent who passed. 

Edit, I see that the health condition of the family member stabalized which is fantastic news. 

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Lol.  I was backing your point J.R. (perhaps slightly tempering the 'upgrade' claim by pointing out the balancing factors that almost put these two at a dead draw).

Tanev reads the play at an elite level, and anticipates as well as anyone in the game.

His puck retrieval and movement is also under-rated.

His shooting percentage this season was 9.5%, 9.2% two years ago, 10% the year before  - if he'd actually take more shots, his production might increase, which is why I think they're flirting with getting him into more offensive situations.

I'm sorry oldnews, there is nothing elite about Tanev's game.  He is a solid, reliable defender that could play for my team any day of the week.  But, he is not elite in any way (aside from blocking shots maybe)......regardless of what story you think the numbers say.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm sorry oldnews, there is nothing elite about Tanev's game.  He is a solid, reliable defender that could play for my team any day of the week.  But, he is not elite in any way (aside from blocking shots maybe)......regardless of what story you think the numbers say.

Maybe the better question is what do you think is elite about Hamonic's game by comparison to make him so much better?

Just now, elvis15 said:

Maybe the better question is what do you think is elite about Hamonic's game by comparison to make him so much better?

i don't think hamonic is an elite dman in any way either.  However, all elements of his game are a bit better than tanev, and his physical play and strength is significantly better than tanev, and that's huge for a defenseman.

22 minutes ago, Monty said:

McCann: Not needed. Jets already have the top two centres nailed down, while Adam Lowry is a prototypical 3rd line center, so McCann is redundant.

Subban: Undersized RHD who will never make his way past Buff or Myers on the depth chart. So, at best, he'd be a 13 minute per night 3rd pairing defenseman, who is undersized. I'd rather wait for 6'3", 210 pound Tucker Poolman to anchor he 3rd pairing.

Picks: Pass.

I wonder if they'd consider a trade for the 5th overall?

I'd even throw in Subban since you love him so much ;)

Trouba is going to be looking for a big pay raise soon, so maybe they'd rather a young controllable winger with 1st line potential (Dubois/Tkachuk)...and Subban haha

43 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Edler wouldn't waive for Edmonton and Edmonton wouldn't trade their 4th overall pick for him....so there's that.

Who knows? Edler can see that Edmonton is on the up n up and Canucks will be spinning their tires for a few years yet. 

I apologize for not being clear....I meant what would the packages look like for either of them. 

Many had speculated one of their top forwards+#4 for Hamonic, so what is Tanev's value to them now? And while we are at it, what would Edler's value be to them? He is still signed to a decent contract as well

Archived