The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks RFA Ludwig Blomstrand signs in Sweden

26 minutes ago, Cocolocci said:

The swedish league could be better for his development. I guess the swedish league is a lot better than the ECHL..

There was no real reason to bring him over at age 20; he was no where near an NHL candidate at the time. Who knows, if we had left him over there until, say, now, maybe we might have a player there. Rodin was brought over too early as well and has actually developed into something quite promising after returning home for a few years. Cederholm too is going through it now. Why are we always in such a hurry with young players anyway.

5 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

There was no real reason to bring him over at age 20; he was no where near an NHL candidate at the time. Who knows, if we had left him over there until, say, now, maybe we might have a player there. Rodin was brought over too early as well and has actually developed into something quite promising after returning home for a few years. Cederholm too is going through it now. Why are we always in such a hurry with young players anyway.

Exactly.. there is no reason to rush this kids. I hope we don't make such mistakes in the future again

44 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I see it the same way. A lot of the Swedish players nowadays, their only goal is to make it in the NHL so they leave at the earliest chance they get. There is no rush to get over and play in the ECHL/AHL when you can stay in a more competitive league and round out your game. People will say they need to get used to the N.A type of game, I think that's an overrated aspect unless it's a goalie. 

Not surprising, I don't think the Canucks were going to qualify him. Although, they now could and protect him as a prospect in case he pulls a Rodin and suddenly turns into someone who is worth consideration! No risk in doing it that way!

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wait, do you mean Desi is right and we are rushing players?

Yes, cherry pick the best player picked in the 4th round in the last 15 years and that's what Blomstrand would've become if developed properly.

5 hours ago, Cocolocci said:

Exactly.. there is no reason to rush this kids. I hope we don't make such mistakes in the future again

There's no reason to rush kids if you have a fully stocked and well-rounded farm system and prospect pipeline.  At the time when these guys were brought over that wasn't the case unfortunately. 

With JB at the helm, hopefully the system will be flush with prospects playing at various levels within a few years, and no one need be rushed beyond what is best for their development at the time. 

Not surprised. When the Fox trade went down I figured that might be the end for Blomstrand as well. The only way those two were going to progress is if they could carry their success as a line (with Valk) into the AHL.

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

One less contract?

Technically, no. He didn't have one for next year yet anyway, and we might have kept him under an AHL contract but it was doubtful we'd sign him to another NHL one at this point.

Archived