The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd Round Pick. BPA or Positional Needs?

Bur14Kes17

Always draft Best Player Available or for Positional Needs  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Barring any sort of scenario where Benning decides to trade down and take Juolevi, were drafting a forward. I get it that points been beaten to death.You always take the best player available in the 1sr Riund despite positional needs. 

However, when the 2nd round of this draft rolls around, you've got to be certain the Benning is going to be drafting a defensemen. 

Here's a few names that have been floating around that could be within out range: 

Logan Stanley- 6'7 220 pounds, 

64 5 12 17

Libor Hajek - 6"1 198 pounds 

69 3 23 26 76

Samuel Girard - 5'9 165 pounds 

67 10 64 74 10 24

Kale Clague 6'0 178 pounds 

71 6 37 43 54 25

Chad Krys 5'11 184 pounds 

18 2 11 13 19

My personal preference out of this group would be either Kale Clague or Chad Krys. Krys is especially interesting as he's coming out of the USHL which Benning has not been afraid to draft from and is an under rated league. 

My question though is, if Tyler Benson is still available, do you stick to best player available and take Benson or draft for positional needs and take defender. Benson will be a steal for someone and was considered a Top 15-20 pick before hit with injuries. 

Usually in this scenario, I'd draft positionally, but I'd take a flyer on Benson and then look to swap either him or McCann for a defender.

I'm praying that Clague is available. He's stuck behind Provorov and Erkamps right now on the Wheat Kings.

His point production will explode next season once given more minutes.

Second choice would be Benson/Dineen. I used to think Girard was our guy, but he looks like J.Subban 2.0 so we could use someone with a bit more size.

I actually had my eye on Logan Stanley if there was any chance for him to still be available.  (Which I doubt). 

Reasons being:

Our blueline isn't the biggest in the world, and he's a sizable guy. 
He improved dramatically in Windsor.
Canadian kid. 
While he has zero chance of being the #1 guy we need, the chances of getting our #1 via 2nd round is slim anyway. 

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I actually had my eye on Logan Stanley if there was any chance for him to still be available.  (Which I doubt). 

Reasons being:

Our blueline isn't the biggest in the world, and he's a sizable guy. 
He improved dramatically in Windsor.
Canadian kid. 
While he has zero chance of being the #1 guy we need, the chances of getting our #1 via 2nd round is slim anyway. 

I've always been a fan of taking defensemen in the 2nd round. Look at all the top defensemen in the league, Duncan Keith, Shea Weber, Roman Josi, Marc eduard vlasic, and Kris Letang were all taken outside the 1st round. 

10 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

If benson is on the board for us we should take him. Will be a steal

Or grab Cam Dineen. He's wet af.

Dineen would be our next Tyson Barrie. Only even more smarter and all-around (offense, defence)

If Benning takes Tkachuk in round one, I don't see him taking another left winger in round two, so probably no to Benson. I really think JB uses his second rounder on a defenceman, unless he manages to trade to somewhere around 20th overall so he can perhaps snag Dante Fabbro if he's still around. Either way, I doubt if Benson winds up a Canuck.

2 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Cam Morrison or Wade Allison

I'm liking Morrison too. He had a decent showing at U18.

Gotta think we need a D since we need them and we didn't select one in the 1st, unless Benning can Sneeky Pete another 1st and grab one.

Liking Johansen or Lindberg

Carl Gunnerson from MODO is looking like another Adrian Kempe and been playing with MODO for 2 yrs now.

Interested to see who falls out of the 1st round tho

1 hour ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

I've always been a fan of taking defensemen in the 2nd round. Look at all the top defensemen in the league, Duncan Keith, Shea Weber, Roman Josi, Marc eduard vlasic, and Kris Letang were all taken outside the 1st round. 

Victor Hedman: 2nd overall

Drew Doughty: 2nd overall

It's a good thing there isn't 3 or 4 threads about this right now.

And certainly good we're not talking about stud BC born  Lucas Johansen from Kelowna in the Rockets organization; you know.

Rockets.

The guys who have developed such studs as Edler, Weber, Keith, Severson, Bowey and more.  Who produces NHL calibre defensemen like London does NHL calibre forwards

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

We need more places to talk about this, so relieved you made this thread. I didn't know where to go.

You could've ignored the thread instead of wasting your time. Anyways anyone know if there is a good  right handed defence men going early in the 2nd?? All I've seen you guys post so far at forwards and left defence men's. I think we are good on the left for now, still got Edler, Hutton and Tryamkin look promising and you never know about Pedan.

Archived