The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Police Can Now See You Text a Mile Away

nucklehead

http://www.news1130.com/2016/05/17/new-tool-police-distracted-driving/

Traffic police have a new tool to help them bust distracted drivers in BC.

This comes just ahead of the May long weekend and in time for the start of a crackdown on dangerous driving.

The upgraded camera scopes will allow officers to catch people using the phones while driving from up to 1.2km away.

“In addition to the officer actually viewing the violation, it allows that officer to capture a still image of the violation while it’s happening,” says Constable Melissa Wutke with BC RCMP Traffic Services. “That just helps us make our best evidence in court if we need to. But it also allows the violator to make an appointment to come down to the police office and actually look at the photo for themselves.”

“It eliminates any conversation or disagreement that the offense was taking place at the time that the officer says it was happening — as opposed to just the officer’s word against the driver’s,” she adds.

Police say the scopes will help tackle what’s become one of the top dangerous driving behaviours in BC, with 66 people killed in distracted driving accidents in 2014.

New fines for distracted driving kick in on June 1st, with the first offense costing a total of $543.

cop.png

I bus a lot, and the place I frequently catch it down the street is near a semi-busy (Victoria "busy") intersection. I probably shouldn't be surprised, but there's an awful lot of people who go by texting. Like, a LOT. If I'm waiting for 10 minutes, I'd probably see at least 15 people drive by staring at their phones. I don't even know many people, and I've known two people who got in accidents while texting (one was really serious). It's such a strange, dangerous thing to do - but I guess we all think we're invincible until we're not

35 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

stinking pigs need to be all laid off  i hate our police state facists 

How dare they enforce laws, especially the ones that prevent accidents and injuries

10 minutes ago, Lillooet_Hillbilly said:

PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN WHEN DRIVING AND DONT BOTHER LOOKING AT IT!!

It's not just a phone...the law covers adjusting your radio, sipping a beverage, adjusting your seat etc...anything the cops decide is distracting you. 

As a kid I saw a woman practicing the flute on the QEW heading into Toronto. She even had sheet music. Texters haven't really scared me since, you can see them coming a mile away anyways. They're slow and they bob. The flautists though - don't trust em. Jiving and jaunting, flourishing. 

Photo evidence should be "required" for distracted driving violations to be considered "legitimate" if the violation is "talking/texting on your cell" to eliminate false accusations.  Same goes for seatbelt violations.  At least the police is finally moving towards the right direction.

Invest in a device that prints photo evidence on the spot.  Probably too much to ask for.  

1 hour ago, Duds said:

How dare they enforce laws, especially the ones that prevent accidents and injuries

ya   just so they can earn a pay cheque   and eat donuts  all day  sorry i dont wanna live in a police state    we may as well be living in 1930s german these days    just go to work like a mindless slave and pay all your bills like a good citizen  dont question authority 

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

ya   just so they can earn a pay cheque   and eat donuts  all day  sorry i dont wanna live in a police state    we may as well be living in 1930s german these days    just go to work like a mindless slave and pay all your bills like a good citizen  dont question authority 

Unfortunately, any society built on authority and subservience to the "rich" deserves what it gets (violence, violence and division)

This land is built on the blood of a once great race, now subjected to "reservations"..... a race who respected the laws of nature and knowledge. Too bad this is too much for most to realize in their authoritative type thinking. 

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

Dude, you live in Victoria...

6 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Next up on the police tech list is the weed detector, will be hitting up a street near you in 2017, just in time for legalization! 

It will always be illegal to drive impaired

Archived