The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Police Can Now See You Text a Mile Away

nucklehead

6 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya   just so they can earn a pay cheque   and eat donuts  all day  sorry i dont wanna live in a police state    we may as well be living in 1930s german these days    just go to work like a mindless slave and pay all your bills like a good citizen  dont question authority 

I'm sure there is a few CDC members here that can tell you what living in a REAL police state is really like.  So you text while driving, cop catches you and you get a ticket.  Isn't that better than being dragged out in the middle of the night of your house, beaten and then thrown into an internment camp?

I'm more worried about the extremely broad laws for distracted driving.  Cops have talked about ticketing people drinking coffee etc.  Which is absolutely ridiculous.  Not really down to have cops watching me from a mile away like I'm some sort mob boss, taking pictures of me adjusting my a/c or taking a sip of water 

Lol, like how the hell are they going to pan that parascope with a moving driver? 

24 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Who is gonna police the corrupt politicians that give away the peoples money for the own families benefit.... thats the real question.

Coast guard?

Up next...the REAL cause of so many crashes...immature, impatient aggressive drivers.

Police tend to go after the low hanging fruit ie/ drunks, speeders and now texters. They're easy to spot (checkstops, radar for speeders and now this contraption for texters/talkers). But what about the dangerous drivers? They're out there, angrily operating a 2 ton WMD with apparent immunity (if you can't prove it in court then they get away with it). Driving aggressively is a condition of a person's mind...and in order to change their thinking they need real punishment (suspensions, prison terms etc. vs tiny useless fines and "points"...it's about as useful as a time-out for a child). And we ARE talking about children here. Oh, they might be 30, 40, 50 or more years old, but they retreat back to their teens when they get behind the wheel. Here's some of the things I've been told when I confront dangerous drivers:

"mind your own business!" [it is MY business, it's EVERYBODY'S business if YOU put us all in danger on a PUBLIC highway]

"I only have a short lunch break!" [seriously, someone said this to me...ummm...OK]

"I'm not from around here" [Oh, it's OK to drive like that where you're from...in Saskatchewan?]

These idiots are so immature that they can't even own what they're doing. They're so tough behind the wheel but such gutless punks when you confront them face to face...and they make up excuses and try to justify putting everyone's life in danger. How about I come over to your house later, when you're home with your wife and kids, and I start waving a loaded gun around with the safety off, maybe bouncing off the couch a few times? Sound irresponsible? It is! Same as driving a loaded weapon on public roads with reckless abandon.

If you want to race...did you know it's legal? It just has to be done at a track. But most "street-racers" are gutless punks. They're too afraid to go to a track and put their money where their mouth is...so they'd rather race around on the streets where they can be the "big man (or woman)". I have raced cars almost my whole driving life, but you have to be mature and humble about it...something most overly aggressive punks aren't. They're the type that watch MMA, have MMA T-shirts and wear their MMA ball caps sideways, but wouldn't have the guts to join a gym and actually get punched or kicked in the head...gutless punks.

Anyways, I could rant on for hours about these "highway bullies" (tailgating, bobbing and weaving from lane to lane, racing past you to just pull in ahead of you and hit the brakes for the car that was in front of you etc etc etc) but until the police target these guys as the REAL cause of accidents and deaths I guess we'll just have to put up with them. Sad state of so-called civilized society.

Stay near the speed limit (5-10 kph). Free

Grab a cab or a designated driver. Free

Keep your eyes on the road, and not drink your coffee, shave, or text. Free

I'm pretty sure if you are adjusting your a/c or radio, seatbelt and you're not swerving all over the place you won't get a ticket.

The funny part is it's the same company that makes my dot scope for my carbine. 

By the way last Friday I was going down Oak St. A motorcycle cop walked up to the lights at 70th and Oak, caught a guy texting while waiting at a red. He just told him to put the phone away. No ticket just a warning. So painting all police as SS officers may say that you have your own issues as much as some jerk police officers.

8 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya   just so they can earn a pay cheque   and eat donuts  all day  sorry i dont wanna live in a police state    we may as well be living in 1930s german these days    just go to work like a mindless slave and pay all your bills like a good citizen  dont question authority 

Hey, did you have a bad experience with the cops which prompted you to call the police names (pigs) and your desire to have them all laid off?

Also, you do realize that any country has laws that need to be enforced which is why we have police officers?  Without laws people can do whatever they feel like.  If they feel like they need money and rob a bank they can do that, if they feel like killing you just because, they can do that without fear of going to jail?

Granted, there are police officers that are corrupt, but are we to say that because of this we are to get rid of ALL cops?  Aren't regular citizens corrupt in certain ways?  Don't we also have corrupt doctors who scam you out of your money?  Don't we have corrupt teachers who only seek to help themselves rather than students? shall we lay off all the doctors and teachers as well because of some corrupt ones?

2 hours ago, Rocky Balboa said:

I'm sure there is a few CDC members here that can tell you what living in a REAL police state is really like.  So you text while driving, cop catches you and you get a ticket.  Isn't that better than being dragged out in the middle of the night of your house, beaten and then thrown into an internment camp?

THANK YOU.

37 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Yeah, they are moving really fast there with the driver's door open.

What an epic fail of a meme.

626f47d65597ecd521013a9cb43504e5.jpg

you beat me to it.

9 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

It's not just a phone...the law covers adjusting your radio, sipping a beverage, adjusting your seat etc...anything the cops decide is distracting you. 

So now men have to leave their wives at home when they drive...

10 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

It's not just a phone...the law covers adjusting your radio, sipping a beverage, adjusting your seat etc...anything the cops decide is distracting you. 

According to the article it is talking about just a phone.

Am I missing something?  Do we have an official statement of this law?

Archived