The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Police Can Now See You Text a Mile Away

nucklehead

Just now, Canuck_Fan_52 said:

According to the article it is talking about just a phone.

Am I missing something?  Do we have an official statement of this law?

Yes.  It is in a previous thread regarding the new fines being levied against "Distracted Driving".  They are talking about phones but it actually applies to a variety of things that could be construed by an officer as driving while distracted. 

Basically, you could glance down to see if your fly is done up and if an officer sees you and assumes you are checking your phone, they can charge you.

10 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya   just so they can earn a pay cheque   and eat donuts  all day  sorry i dont wanna live in a police state    we may as well be living in 1930s german these days    just go to work like a mindless slave and pay all your bills like a good citizen  dont question authority 

:picard:

Driving isn't a right. Texting while you drive and putting other people's lives in danger even less so.

I'm not sure how one could remotely twist that in to being anything like Nazi Germany. How incredibly insulting to people who actually lived through that time and place.

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Yeah, they are moving really fast there with the driver's door open.

What an epic fail of a meme.

626f47d65597ecd521013a9cb43504e5.jpg

That's what happens when you find a random meme on the Internet. But still, it should apply to them as well. I see them on their laptop all the time, when stopped at a red light.

I don't understand why people insist on texting while driving in the first place. It's dangerous not only to themselves, but to other people as well. Phones are great in a lot of ways, but at the same time they seem to be harming society.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That's what happens when you find a random meme on the Internet. But still, it should apply to them as well. I see them on their laptop all the time, when stopped at a red light.

So, you want the police, if they suspect something, to find a parking spot, then check?

"Officer, that bank just got robbed and there's the getaway van"!

"wait a moment, I have to pull over first before I can use anything"

By the time he parks, the robbers are away....

Sorry, there are exceptions, and the police have it IMHO - guess they could always turn their flashers on - but that could cause other issues...

2 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Up next...the REAL cause of so many crashes...immature, impatient aggressive drivers.

Police tend to go after the low hanging fruit ie/ drunks, speeders and now texters. They're easy to spot (checkstops, radar for speeders and now this contraption for texters/talkers). But what about the dangerous drivers? They're out there, angrily operating a 2 ton WMD with apparent immunity (if you can't prove it in court then they get away with it). Driving aggressively is a condition of a person's mind...and in order to change their thinking they need real punishment (suspensions, prison terms etc. vs tiny useless fines and "points"...it's about as useful as a time-out for a child). And we ARE talking about children here. Oh, they might be 30, 40, 50 or more years old, but they retreat back to their teens when they get behind the wheel. Here's some of the things I've been told when I confront dangerous drivers:

"mind your own business!" [it is MY business, it's EVERYBODY'S business if YOU put us all in danger on a PUBLIC highway]

"I only have a short lunch break!" [seriously, someone said this to me...ummm...OK]

"I'm not from around here" [Oh, it's OK to drive like that where you're from...in Saskatchewan?]

These idiots are so immature that they can't even own what they're doing. They're so tough behind the wheel but such gutless punks when you confront them face to face...and they make up excuses and try to justify putting everyone's life in danger. How about I come over to your house later, when you're home with your wife and kids, and I start waving a loaded gun around with the safety off, maybe bouncing off the couch a few times? Sound irresponsible? It is! Same as driving a loaded weapon on public roads with reckless abandon.

If you want to race...did you know it's legal? It just has to be done at a track. But most "street-racers" are gutless punks. They're too afraid to go to a track and put their money where their mouth is...so they'd rather race around on the streets where they can be the "big man (or woman)". I have raced cars almost my whole driving life, but you have to be mature and humble about it...something most overly aggressive punks aren't. They're the type that watch MMA, have MMA T-shirts and wear their MMA ball caps sideways, but wouldn't have the guts to join a gym and actually get punched or kicked in the head...gutless punks.

Anyways, I could rant on for hours about these "highway bullies" (tailgating, bobbing and weaving from lane to lane, racing past you to just pull in ahead of you and hit the brakes for the car that was in front of you etc etc etc) but until the police target these guys as the REAL cause of accidents and deaths I guess we'll just have to put up with them. Sad state of so-called civilized society.

Suffering through the sea of idiots that are Calgary drivers on daily basis I am amazed that there are not fatalities daily ? The taigating is like a disease. These fools are like wolves fighting over the last piece of meat when a spot just under a car length opens up beside them while racing to the next red light. Shoulder checks are non existent ?

Many think their new car with cameras and lane merging sensors are the best thing since sliced bread. Guess what It has turned them into useless t i t s with no ability to drive and think for themselves. I have seen more people run over garbage cans, parking blocks, kids bikes, pets : (  etc in the last ten years than in my entire life of driving.  The complete and utter laziness of society is a major contributing factor to much of what happens on Canadian roads.

The ethnic drivers have adopted road rage and while utterly comedic to listen and watch it is a very disturbing trend among new out of country drivers.  The driving schools are filled with teachers from other countries ? teaching new citizens how to drive ? LMAO !  Their lack of spacial awareness is mind boggling ?  Sure I understand that it takes time to fully grasp how to drive in other countries, but when you have the blind leading the blind what do you expect ?

Gutless doesn't even begin to describe these people. I had an East Indian lady saying "No habla ingles" to me while I rolled down the window to ask her to at least lube my a55 up before she drives right up in it.   These people are truly lower forms of life. No regard for their own life let alone those around them.

Commercial drivers are at the mercy of these suicide drivers who are clearly insane or want to die and take as many out with them as possible when they feel they have been wronged on the road.  Fours ways ?  Ha ! That is an invitation for an MMA showdown.  Road courtesy is a lost art never to be seen again.

Many have no concept they are operating a loaded weapon in their incompetent hands/control. 

The province is to blame 1000%. They allow these complete morons to operate vehicles. They dont ticket tailgating unless it was during an accident ? They photo radar us instead of setting up cameras to investigate and maybe modify and change high risk areas and intersections.  They literally allow a rolling POS to be driven that would not pass inspection 15 years ago ?  The system is very broken, people truly suck and cars in general are crappy plastic gutless wagons, with more blind spots than an NHL referees eyes.

Buckle up Canada and keep your head on a swivel or you just might find yourself upside down on the side of the road becasue some scum bag needed to be in front of you.

9 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Unfortunately, any society built on authority and subservience to the "rich" deserves what it gets (violence, violence and division)

This land is built on the blood of a once great race, now subjected to "reservations"..... a race who respected the laws of nature and knowledge. Too bad this is too much for most to realize in their authoritative type thinking. 

Race? Which race would that be? 

9 minutes ago, Heretic said:

So, you want the police, if they suspect something, to find a parking spot, then check?

"Officer, that bank just got robbed and there's the getaway van"!

"wait a moment, I have to pull over first before I can use anything"

By the time he parks, the robbers are away....

Sorry, there are exceptions, and the police have it IMHO - guess they could always turn their flashers on - but that could cause other issues...

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think that is the case every time. It's hard to tell when are they actually using it for a valid purpose, while on the road.

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think that is the case every time. It's hard to tell when are they actually using it for a valid purpose, while on the road.

Good point, but if they were playing games, they should be suspended.  

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Just had a thought, if drinking a pop or bottle of water is considered "distracted driving", are they going to legislate vehicle manufacturers to remove cup holders from vehicles?

My truck has 10 cup holders in it! 

Edit:  Nothing here:  http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/safer-drivers/Documents/distractions.pdf

How about eliminating drive-thrus too.

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Just had a thought, if drinking a pop or bottle of water is considered "distracted driving", are they going to legislate vehicle manufacturers to remove cup holders from vehicles?

My truck has 10 cup holders in it! 

Edit:  Nothing here:  http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/safer-drivers/Documents/distractions.pdf

I got a non-committal reply to my tweet about that. :rolleyes:

ri7uwn.png

17 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

I bus a lot, and the place I frequently catch it down the street is near a semi-busy (Victoria "busy") intersection. I probably shouldn't be surprised, but there's an awful lot of people who go by texting. Like, a LOT. If I'm waiting for 10 minutes, I'd probably see at least 15 people drive by staring at their phones. I don't even know many people, and I've known two people who got in accidents while texting (one was really serious). It's such a strange, dangerous thing to do - but I guess we all think we're invincible until we're not

I've caught bus drivers texting and driving. Shouldn't be shocked at anything drivers do really. 

Took on pictures of him and should have sent them in.

10 minutes ago, trek said:

I got a non-committal reply to my tweet about that. :rolleyes:

ri7uwn.png

i think it's pretty clear that so long as you're not swerving or otherwise driving erratically while drinking your water/coffee/sports drink etc...you should be pretty safe.

16 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya   just so they can earn a pay cheque   and eat donuts  all day  sorry i dont wanna live in a police state    we may as well be living in 1930s german these days    just go to work like a mindless slave and pay all your bills like a good citizen  dont question authority 

As the son of an incredibly hard-working and well decorated police officer I find this to be easily one of the most ignorant and offensive posts I've seen on these boards.

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

As the son of an incredibly hard-working and well decorated police officer I find this to be easily one of the most ignorant and offensive posts I've seen on these boards.

You obviously don't read many posts here.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

You obviously don't read many posts here.

Nah I definitely do, I think it's just my personal bias on the topic. My dad is the most stand up guy I know and a great officer so it bothers me to hear people insult him or police officers more than anything that could be said about myself.

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Nah I definitely do, I think it's just my personal bias on the topic. My dad is the most stand up guy I know and a great officer so it bothers me to hear people insult him or police officers more than anything that could be said about myself.

WSM: it used to be rare that people didn't respect the police, nowadays it seems to be the norm. I think it's just another example of people deflecting the anger they feel from their own utter failures in life (if a cop shoots me when I pull a knife on a subway then it's the cop's fault)...total bullcrap! All I can say is, do what we can to help those who's job it is to serve us and protect us. Support the police whenever you can, firemen, paramedics, heck how about even the ticket agent at the airline counter when a flight gets delayed...people can be so disrespectful and ignorant. I guess just look out for yourself and your family and be respectful...maybe we can start a movement inthe opposite direction. Who's with me? A new revolution of respect! Can I get a HELL YEAH!

23 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Next up on the police tech list is the weed detector, will be hitting up a street near you in 2017, just in time for legalization! 

Nothing wrong with that. Should come quicker. 

If You're high don't drive, no different than drinking and driving. 

Archived