The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Egypt Air flight vanishes off radar

8 minutes ago, butters said:

I was more talking about your massively over-inflated expectations of techonology. Do you think we are even close to having full coverage of the earth with any technology in a way that is at all affordable?

I'm not much of a stakeholder in the airline industry aside from being the occasional participant, and as such I'm aware I must be coming across as pretty ignorant, so fair enough and perhaps I do have insane expectations. Yet I can log into Google and find my lost 5oz cell phone, a plane however...

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I'm not much of a stakeholder in the airline industry aside from being the occasional participant, and as such I'm aware I must be coming across as pretty ignorant, so fair enough and perhaps I do have insane expectations. Yet I can log into Google and find my lost 5oz cell phone, a plane however...

Would you be able to find it if your phone exploded with a bomb and was no longer in working condition? Because in all likelihood that's what happened here. 

And radar only picks up something while it's in the air. Not in the sea crashed and broken into a thousand pieces. 

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

You can find your cell if it can get a signal. You could probably find it in the lower mainland, but not a random spot in BC.

Another lost one? Aircraft should be required to uplink their exact GPS location to their home airlines via satellite in as close to real-time as possible... Being reliant on primary radar or having ground stations pick up transponders leave significant gaps in coverage.

US, Russia, Israel and some other countries would be tracking this aircraft along with all air traffic on their military radars as they are all operating in this area. This plane was tracked on many different radars, not just civilian aviation radar. 

They know exactly where it was when it went missing. They'll find it in the Mediterranean Sea soon. 

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Would you be able to find it if your phone exploded with a bomb and was no longer in working condition? Because in all likelihood that's what happened here. 

And radar only picks up something while it's in the air. Not in the sea crashed and broken into a thousand pieces. 

No, of course not. The first thing in my mind wasn't explosion though, just misplaced a la 370.

6 minutes ago, butters said:

You can find your cell if it can get a signal. You could probably find it in the lower mainland, but not a random spot in BC.

True, and like I mentioned above I didn't immediately think lost signal due to, well, fragmentation of the aircraft, just lost. I suppose this is why it's best not to speculate before many facts are known or released.  

24 minutes ago, Green Building said:

True, and like I mentioned above I didn't immediately think lost signal due to, well, fragmentation of the aircraft, just lost. I suppose this is why it's best not to speculate before many facts are known or released.  

I rarely if ever see a person who starts off with a strongly stated opinion, and then later calmy takes criticism of his points and reconsiders. *tips hat*

Confirmed crash:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/19/egyptair-flight-from-paris-to-cairo-disappears-from-radar/

Though France doesn't rule out terror attack.

List of passengers:

30 Egyptian

15 French

2 Iraqi

1 British

1 Belgian

1 Sudanese

1 Chadian

1 Algerian

1 Portugese

And then to refute all of this, apparently the distress signal was from a beacon or nearby plane, not from the vessel itself. Story still breaking.

30 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Confirmed crash:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/19/egyptair-flight-from-paris-to-cairo-disappears-from-radar/

Though France doesn't rule out terror attack.

List of passengers:

30 Egyptian

15 French

2 Iraqi

1 British

1 Belgian

1 Sudanese

1 Chadian

1 Algerian

1 Portugese

And then to refute all of this, apparently the distress signal was from a beacon or nearby plane, not from the vessel itself. Story still breaking.

you forgot the 1 Canadian also listed as on board as well.

:(  tragic...prayers for all the family and friends of those on board.

I'm not a pilot, just an aviation follower. But the logic of climbing makes no sense. If one of your engines was on fire you'd climb to starve the fire of oxygen to put it out. But if your fuselage was compromised by a bomb, wouldn't you go into a shallow dive to get below 12,000 feet so that you can breathe without assistance? Provided of course you could still fly, and you were still in control of the aircraft. 

Given the profit motive of most airlines, it's possible that it was lack of maintenance, or faulty replacement (i.e. knockoffs) parts. 

Flight MS804 left Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport at 23:09 local time on Wednesday (21:09 GMT) and was scheduled to arrive in the Egyptian capital soon after 03:15 local time on Thursday.

EgyptAir said the plane had been flying at 37,000ft (11,300m) when it disappeared from radar shortly after entering Egyptian airspace.

Greek aviation officials said its air traffic controllers had spoken to the pilot a few minutes earlier and everything had appeared normal.

One official told the AFP news agency that the plane crashed "around 130 nautical miles" off the southern Greek island of Karpathos, although this has not been confirmed.

From the BBC.

Morning news saying it crashed into the Mediterranean Sea.

The plane swerved 90 degrees to the left then 360 degrees to the right before plunging into the sea.

Wow. So with those swerves, I can picture a fight for the plane in the cockpit. Or, just simply mechanical failure. We'll know soon I guess.

CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/18/middleeast/egyptair-flight-disappears/index.html

The Greek defence minister, Panos Kammenos, said the plane made “sudden swerves” in mid-air and plunged before dropping off radars in the southern Mediterranean.

“The plane carried out a 90-degree turn to the left and a 360-degree turn to the right, falling from 37,000ft to 15,000ft, and the signal was lost at around 10,000ft,” Kammenos said.

Like WHL says, they'll likely be able to find the wreckage without much trouble. They have good data on the flight path and it looks like the crash occurred about halfway between the Greek island of Crete and the Egyptian coast at Alexandria.

Hate to say it, but it has all the earmarks of a terrorist attack...

Archived