The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Another First Round Pick

Just now, garthsbutcher said:

Tkatchuk or PLD at 5 is pretty much what it is going to be but what about dangling Hansen for a mid first round pick, does he get us that? If he does, do you pull the trigger?

No and yes.

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't see a proposal anywhere. Which team are you suggesting to trade Hansen to?

Whichever team it may be, it's not enough for a first round draft pick.

A team with a mid to late first round pick. If mediocre UFAS can garner firsts at the trade deadline, I'm not so sure a cap friendly non ufa cant get you the same.

1 minute ago, garthsbutcher said:

A team with a mid to late first round pick. If mediocre UFAS can garner firsts at the trade deadline, I'm not so sure a cap friendly non ufa cant get you the same.

I think the difference between trading at the trade deadline and during the off-season is that the teams looking to acquire a player at the trade deadline are more desperate since they want to make a push for a deep playoff run. With that, they are willing to risk a first or a second round draft pick for a soon-to-be UFA that can help in the short run. During a time when the playoffs are over, when there is no hockey to be played, teams wouldn't accept the same deal. Hansen is a hard-working player, no doubt, but would he really give us a first round draft pick, who have the potential to become first line players, in return? I don't think so.

What a deal for the Canucks. Draft the player in the 9th round, then 12 years later trade him for a 1st rounder when he's in his 30s. If Benning can pull that off, he should automatically win GM of the Year LOL

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think the difference between trading at the trade deadline and during the off-season is that the teams looking to acquire a player at the trade deadline are more desperate since they want to make a push for a deep playoff run. With that, they are willing to risk a first or a second round draft pick for a soon-to-be UFA that can help in the short run. During a time when the playoffs are over, when there is no hockey to be played, teams wouldn't accept the same deal. Hansen is a hard-working player, no doubt, but would he really give us a first round draft pick, who have the potential to become first line players, in return? I don't think so.

I can think of another difference in addition to the one you've described. 

Because the cap is calculated on a daily basis, a team with a little space under the cap can afford to buy a player with a cap hit that would have put the team over the cap if acquired earlier in the year.  In that way, the acquiring team can enter the playoffs with a presumably better (certainly more expensive) team than if they stayed with the same players throughout the year. 

For example if a team after the deadline would have a cap hit of $74 million when the salary cap is $71.4 million (which can be done by averaging about $71 in the part of the season before the deadline) that team will have a small advantage going into the playoffs.

That particular advantage is dangerous to use until the player being acquired is a rental, there are expiring contracts so the player can be kept or it is a player who isn't overpaid so his contract will have some value to another team after the season ends.  Hansen fits the last of these so a team could use that boost to acquire him fairly safely.

FWIW, I don't think a team would pay a mid to low first rounder pick for Hansen, but then I've been surprised by what individual general managers valued players at before.

If Hansen were a UFA this summer and was looking for a 2 year $5 million deal......there would be teams interested in signing him for that.....(his current remaining contract).  There is no team in the league that would also lose their first rounder to do so.

2 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Tkatchuk or PLD at 5 is pretty much what it is going to be but what about dangling Hansen for a mid first round pick, does he get us that? If he does, do you pull the trigger?

If we are going to make a trade for a 1st round pick. I would think it would be with Arizona targeting #20th pick.

John Chayka the new GM for Arizona used to work for the Canucks in the Stathletes department. Maybe he saw something with one of the players and thinks the Canucks are under valuing him and might try to pick him up as a throw in player with Hanson for Pick 20.

2 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Hansen isnt worth much guys. If I was a GM i would offer a 3rd rounder at best. 

I'm not a huge Hansen fan but I feel like he's worth a decent 2nd rounder from a cup contender. He does a lot of things at a high enough level that he can bring real value to a team in the hunt. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Another First Round Pick
2 hours ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

I'm not a huge Hansen fan but I feel like he's worth a decent 2nd rounder from a cup contender. He does a lot of things at a high enough level that he can bring real value to a team in the hunt. 

Maybe at the very very best, a LOW 2nd round pick. I wouldnt pay anything more. 

I dont get why people here see him worth a 1st. Hes barely even worth a 2nd. Once again, i think fair value is a 3rd round pick. 

16 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Maybe at the very very best, a LOW 2nd round pick. I wouldnt pay anything more. 

I dont get why people here see him worth a 1st. Hes barely even worth a 2nd. Once again, i think fair value is a 3rd round pick. 

he would have to be packaged but the problem is it will be hard to find a package that would work unless we are ok giving up picks like Hansen and a second for a 1st.

1 minute ago, ChampStatus said:

he would have to be packaged but the problem is it will be hard to find a package that would work unless we are ok giving up picks like Hansen and a second for a 1st.

Hmmmm. Hansen + our 2nd can prob get you at pick 15-20 at best.  More likely around 20's 

On May 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM, DontMessMe said:

Hansen isnt worth much guys. If I was a GM i would offer a 3rd rounder at best. 

Are you sniffin glue, he's worth way more than that, maybe a 1st round pick is questionable, but most 3rd round picks don't even make the NHL, let alone do as well and bring what Hansen brings to a team..what the Nucks should look at doing is package Edler with Hansen to a team with the cap room and needs those players, would that bring a mid first round pick or even top 10????

13 minutes ago, harrytoolips said:

Are you sniffin glue, he's worth way more than that, maybe a 1st round pick is questionable, but most 3rd round picks don't even make the NHL, let alone do as well and bring what Hansen brings to a team..what the Nucks should look at doing is package Edler with Hansen to a team with the cap room and needs those players, would that bring a mid first round pick or even top 10????

Vey was valued at a 2nd round pick. So what does that make Hansen?

Archived