The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This is the Offseason to be Creative

5nothincanucksohno

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Trade the Sedin's?  :picard:  C'mon.  They are not trading away the leadership group.  This isn't NHL16.  A real team has intangibles and they really want to keep the leadership and culture going.

The leadership and culture is exactly what we NEED changed. Its time for a breathe of fresh air, new blood, and younger guys to lead this team.

I'm ALL in.

Why would Detroit bother to spend good assets to move one year of Datsyuk's contract?

They're not contending - they have a number of aging veterans - I doubt they'll have any interest in spending a premier young asset like a 1st.

This is my opinion on the matter. Canucks should do what Toronto did last year and ditch some of their veterans except the Sedins, but since they wanna be competitive this is what they should do. First off, sign eriksson, then sign either Ladd or okposo, I prefer okposo because let's face it, he's better offensively. Ladd is a great leader tho and from BC. Of those three players sign two of them to the most reasonable contracts and term. (Lol not that benning knows what that is). Then sign a ufa defenceman, and no more crappy 5th 6th defenceman. We need someone good who can be a leader in the room. I say yandle or just keep hamhuis. After this the Canucks would have a great team but things to worry about would be if they would have enough money to sign their younger players when their contracts expire. I also say let burrows, Higgins, McCann, and virtanen play in the ahl. That is unless McCann and virtanen show something in training camp then u put Etem and gaunce in the AHL. I hope the Canucks can trade players they don't need like dorsett, sbisa, Miller so they can pick up draft picks. With the way the Canucks draft, they could finish anywhere in the standings and pick a great player.

sedins eriksson

Rodin sutter okposo/Ladd 

baertschi horvat Hansen 

Gaunce/McCann granlund Etem/Virtanen

dorsett

yandle tanev

edler Hutton 

tryamkin larsson/sbisa

markstrom 

miller

1 hour ago, Wrecken said:

The leadership and culture is exactly what we NEED changed. Its time for a breathe of fresh air, new blood, and younger guys to lead this team.

I'm ALL in.

You're all OUT.  Not recognizing what is good about your team is a recipe for failure.

Sign Lucic and Ericsson. Move Dorsett. Run 8 D men and 13 forwards.

Sedin-Sedin-Ericsson 

Lucic-Sutter-Rodin

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Etem-Granlund-Virtanen

Gaunce extra

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Sbisa

Tryamkin-Larsen

Pedan & Biega or Subban extra.

Miller

Markstrom

The team is making a playoff push and there's pieces there to help the transition from the Sedins when Boeser, McCann, and Tkachuk/Dubois are ready for the big time.

Don't need to be creative. Just need a couple guys who can put pucks in net. Having Bartkowski-Biega as a full time top 6 pairing murdered the team last season. Was there any game that they weren't on the ice for at least 1 goal against? 

Without those 2 in the top 6, the d core will be noticeably better.

15 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Sedin-Sedin-Ericsson 

Lucic-Sutter-Rodin

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Etem-Granlund-Virtanen

Gaunce extra

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Sbisa

Tryamkin-Larsen

Miller

Markstrom

The team is making a playoff push and there's pieces there to help the transition from the Sedins when Boeser, McCann, and Tkachuk/Dubois are ready for the big time.

Don't need to be creative. Just need a couple guys who can put pucks in net. Having Bartkowski-Biega as a full time top 6 pairing murdered the team last season. Was there any game that they weren't on the ice for at least 1 goal against? 

Agree to disagree. To me that line-up is on the playoff bubble but doesn't make the team cup contenders. I'd rather see the young guys get lots of playing time (with some veterans around to teach) and then really start adding FA pieces next year or the year after when management knows what they have in the current young guys. For example, Rodin, Larsen, Tryamkin, etc. might be great but management doesn't know that for sure yet.

I think the team is better off saving their cap flexibility for next year when Miller, Burrows and Higgins come off the cap. It doesn't mean they shouldn't push for the playoffs but any success should be because the 19 to 24 year old players (permanent NHL roster players and depth call up players from Utica) make it happen.

2 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Agree to disagree. To me that line-up is on the playoff bubble but doesn't make the team cup contenders. I'd rather see the young guys get lots of playing time (with some veterans around to teach) and then really start adding FA pieces next year or the year after when management knows what they have in the current young guys. For example, Rodin, Larsen, Tryamkin, etc. might be great but management doesn't know that for sure yet.

I think the team is better off saving their cap flexibility for next year when Miller, Burrows and Higgins come off the cap. It doesn't mean they shouldn't push for the playoffs but any success should be because the 19 to 24 year old players (permanent NHL roster players and depth call up players from Utica) make it happen.

I think the Canucks need to grab one or two big name guys now. This season really showed the Sedins (Henrik more so from playing the more physical role as a centre) are starting to wear down. That lineup still has 15 of 23 players being 27 or younger. Don't think the Canucks need to ice a full team of rookies, can call guys up to get a look at them whenever without being forced to run them a full 82 games cuz there's no one else. 

27 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Sedin-Sedin-Ericsson 

Lucic-Sutter-Rodin

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Etem-Granlund-Virtanen

Gaunce extra

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Sbisa

Tryamkin-Larsen

Miller

Markstrom

Does this lineup get us too good too quickly?  It's a good team, but I really don't want us finishing too much in the middle, because of mature players.  Maybe it's best to stay at or near the bottom for a couple more seasons?  

31 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

You're all OUT.  Not recognizing what is good about your team is a recipe for failure.

Not recognizing diminishing assets is as well. Get something for them while you still can. Its not like we are competing for a SC any time soon (not that they would help with that anyway). Calling the Sedins "good about your team" is your opinion, however I disagree. They are a road block on the way to actually rebuilding this team in every way. 

Speaking of failure, didn't we just finish 3rd last (6 points from dead last)? Cant fail much more then that. This recipe has already failed. Its time for them to move on and a new era to start. I agree with the OP, its time for some creativity, and I would add it's time for some hard choices.

All IN for the rebuild.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does this lineup get us too good too quickly?  It's a good team, but I really don't want us finishing too much in the middle, because of mature players.  Maybe it's best to stay at or near the bottom for a couple more seasons?  

I wouldn't mind that. Can't imagine management is gonna have 12-18 million of available cap though and not use it. Plus we've grabbed guys like McCann and Boeser in the mid 20s. 

3 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

I wouldn't mind that. Can't imagine management is gonna have 12-18 million of available cap though and not use it. Plus we've grabbed guys like McCann and Boeser in the mid 20s. 

Keep ticket prices lower, and stay near the cap floor, and be open and honest with the fans - like the Leafs are doing. While we are getting Boeser and McCann (I like them both) other teams are getting McDavid, Eichel, Draisatl, Bennet, Marner and Ekblad.  There is really quite a difference between guys at the top, and guys later on.  Even this season, we are missing out (again) on the big four at the top.  I do like your team though.  It's a good lineup.  I just don't want us to rely too much on the older guys.  We miss out on drafting young guys to replace them, because we finish too high.

6 minutes ago, Wrecken said:

Not recognizing diminishing assets is as well. Get something for them while you still can. Its not like we are competing for a SC any time soon (not that they would help with that anyway). Calling the Sedins "good about your team" is your opinion, however I disagree. They are a road block on the way to actually rebuilding this team in every way. 

Speaking of failure, didn't we just finish 3rd last (6 points from dead last)? Cant fail much more then that. This recipe has already failed. Its time for them to move on and a new era to start. I agree with the OP, its time for some creativity, and I would add it's time for some hard choices.

All IN for the rebuild.

You're blaming last season's result on the Sedin's?  They were the best and most consistent players on the team.

There's 3 parts to this:

1. The Sedin's are getting older and will decline at some point.  They're off their peak clearly but still capable of putting up 70 points, 60 in a bad year and that production is very hard to replace.
  2. The Sedins have 2 more years at $7M each.  Where could you trade them cap-wise even if you wanted to.  Also, wouldn't you have to take a discount asset wise in return for putting a willing partner into a bind with the cap.  Split them?  They have NTC's.
  3. The Sedins are the heart and soul of the team.  Nobody here is aware of how important they are to this team culture and leadership wise.  I'd be willing to bet that it is more than everybody thinks and that is considerable.

You go ahead and roll your dice.

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

You're blaming last season's result on the Sedin's?  They were the best and most consistent players on the team.

There's 3 parts to this:

1. The Sedin's are getting older and will decline at some point.  They're off their peak clearly but still capable of putting up 70 points, 60 in a bad year and that production is very hard to replace.
  2. The Sedins have 2 more years at $7M each.  Where could you trade them cap-wise even if you wanted to.  Also, wouldn't you have to take a discount asset wise in return for putting a willing partner into a bind with the cap.  Split them?  They have NTC's.
  3. The Sedins are the heart and soul of the team.  Nobody here is aware of how important they are to this team culture and leadership wise.  I'd be willing to bet that it is more than everybody thinks and that is considerable.

The Sedins are no longer good enough to carry the team, but they are still too good to keep us from completely tanking.  They will keep us in the middle.  If they are traded, the only dice rolling will be the draft lottery to see if we pick 1,2,3, or 4.

50 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

McCann & Boeser were good picks. McCann had NHL speed, Boeser NHL size & both well above average NHL skills.  I ramble in a lot of threads about not drafting D.  But I don't complain over solid picks.  I also liked Gaunce.  He competes hard, has above average NHL size and had some of the best fitness and strength scores, indicating training & commitment at the combines.

I disliked Jensen (not enough production), Schroeder (size and lack of stick your nose in it), Shinkaruk (shoulders my grandma would not be proud of).

I do think we will be spending as much of that cap as we can.  Hopefully only on worthwhile players on worthwhile mid term contracts, but...

22 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

There's 3 parts to this:

I never said that I was solely blaming the Sedins for last year. It was the whole team that caused our year. However, as you put it, they are the leaders on this team, and the recipe isnt working. They are the biggest piece that needs to be moved to rebuild this team. I understand the complexities of such a move, as I said earlier, but that doesnt change the fact that it is going to happen one way or another. Try to do it now and get better returns, or have our asset diminish over the next 2 years, getting less and less in return, and eventually get nothing.

Its time for a change. We are building a new culture, and have some leaders up and coming. Not to mention the cap space to bring in some leadership that falls into that new culture. I am ready for a non-Sedin team play style.

I wonder what part of the Sedins' NO MOVEMENT CLAUSES is so difficult to understand? IMO the only way that they would consider moving might be at the trade deadline in the last year of their contracts, as a favour to the team. And probably not even then.

And for the clown who said that if the Sedins value loyalty to the team/city where they have played and lived their entire NHL careers more than they value winning a cup, you don't want them, you must love Kesler. So go root for Anaheim.

1 hour ago, Wrecken said:

I never said that I was solely blaming the Sedins for last year. It was the whole team that caused our year. However, as you put it, they are the leaders on this team, and the recipe isnt working. They are the biggest piece that needs to be moved to rebuild this team. I understand the complexities of such a move, as I said earlier, but that doesnt change the fact that it is going to happen one way or another. Try to do it now and get better returns, or have our asset diminish over the next 2 years, getting less and less in return, and eventually get nothing.

Its time for a change. We are building a new culture, and have some leaders up and coming. Not to mention the cap space to bring in some leadership that falls into that new culture. I am ready for a non-Sedin team play style.

I would prefer to be patient with the change of the team play style. Besides which, it's already changing, dramatically if you consider the amount of personnel coming in and going out. The amount of respect the Sedin's don't get, even on these boards, is pretty astonishing. 

As for our poor season... You don't think the injuries cost us that? We were in the hunt right up until that game in February against Colorado. Which is admirable really, considering. 

This team, healthy, makes the playoffs next season. You can quote me on that if you like. 

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

There's 3 parts to this:

I agree with this, and I bet they would have had better seasons, if they weren't relied on so much due to the Nucks injury woes..in fact, I believe the team would have been fighting for a playoff spot without so many injuries to key players..the Coilers have proven that just having elite talent without veteran leadership is a recipe for failure in the NHL, keep the twins, try to sign a good UFA or two on shorter term, more $ per season contracts, leaving more $ to sign our RFA's in the next season or two, and trade Edler and Hansen for hopefully a first round pick this draft..keep Miller as well unless we can trade him for picks and sign another UFA goalie, Markstrom needs one more season of mentorship, and resign Hamhuis, he leads well and played really well when returning from injury, with him we know what we get..

3 hours ago, Wrecken said:

All IN for the rebuild.

Not gonna happen, so either you become a Leafs fan, or you put up and deal with the fact that this team isn't tearing it to the ground.

I personally will be enjoying the route the team is actually taking, as opposed to endless, futile protests that will not be heard or heeded.

The approach - the process this team has set out on is pretty clearly defined - and it easily makes as much sense as people who think there is an imperative to intentionally tankdown.   If people insist on being at odds with their team - that's their prerogative, but it aint gonna change, so.....

Archived