The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This is the Offseason to be Creative

5nothincanucksohno

50 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Not gonna happen, so either you become a Leafs fan, or you put up and deal with the fact that this team isn't tearing it to the ground.

You are unfortunately right. I wish for different, but it is unlikely to happen. 

I personally will be enjoying the route the team is actually taking, as opposed to endless, futile protests that will not be heard or heeded.

I will enjoy seeing the new blood coming up, seeing our young guys mature, and the UFA's. But enjoying the route with the Sedins being our top line here will be the same old story year after year. Kind of a definition of insanity thing.

The approach - the process this team has set out on is pretty clearly defined - and it easily makes as much sense as people who think there is an imperative to intentionally tankdown.   If people insist on being at odds with their team - that's their prerogative, but it aint gonna change, so.....

I get the feeling that you think that because I want the Sedins to move on, we will be worse off for it. I believe just the opposite. I think when they are gone, we will be more competitive, especially in the playoffs. However, you are probably right... I doubt JB and TL will ask them to waive, and I doubt the Sedins will ask to be traded. With my luck, they will resign them, and drag this on into their 40's :lol:

6 minutes ago, Wrecken said:

You are unfortunately right. I wish for different, but it is unlikely to happen. 

I will enjoy seeing the new blood coming up, seeing our young guys mature, and the UFA's. But enjoying the route with the Sedins being our top line here will be the same old story year after year. Kind of a definition of insanity thing.

I get the feeling that you think that because I want the Sedins to move on, we will be worse off for it. I believe just the opposite. I think when they are gone, we will be more competitive, especially in the playoffs. However, you are probably right... I doubt JB and TL will ask them to waive, and I doubt the Sedins will ask to be traded. With my luck, they will resign them, and drag this on into their 40's :lol:

That kind of statement is absolutely without grounding - to make it without any idea what you'd be replacing them with is pretty indicative (wadr it seems borderline daft enough to suggest they represent negative value) - you won't be in any playoffs, let alone being competitive unless you pull off quite the return for those two.

I'd be surprised that people continue to fundamentally undervalue (and patronize) the Sedins, if it weren't so common.

You're talking about career .7 and .75 ppg players in the playoffs.  I think you need to have a realistic look around at actual playoff production and reconsider what is informing your impression.

The Sedins may not carry a team, but you're sure as hell not going to be better off without them unless, like I said, you pull off one hell of a return for them.  

They could very well be great, integral contributors to a deep team - which is what it takes to win in the playoffs regardless - so before you write them off with overstated nonsense like "kind of definition of insanity", you'll have to come up with far more substance to qualify a claim like that.  You surround them with a strong, deep lineup and it'd be insane to suggest you can't win with them.

12 hours ago, We Are All Cynics said:

Definitely don't disagree. It's why I don't understand all this Stamkos talk either. There's no chance the Canucks would ever be competitive enough for the duration he signed here so why would he other than for a big fat payday. It's definitely not for the Cup. If that was the case, he'd stay in Tampa and I personally believe they will resign him unless they win it this year.

And I agree with you as well. There are no free-agent quick fixes for this team at this stage, just albatross contracts which we should steer clear of.

When we talk defence nobody mentioned Pedan??????? 

Come on we have the softest back end in the NHL..We need to fit Pedan in at # 6&7 spot as Pedan adds much needed toughness.

fast skater and physical element we don't have.. Come on this giant is 6'5" 218 and fastest skater and hardest shot in skill 

competition this year... Need to break this young 23 yr old into line up, say 55 games this coming season..

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

When we talk defence nobody mentioned Pedan??????? 

Come on we have the softest back end in the NHL..We need to fit Pedan in at # 6&7 spot as Pedan adds much needed toughness.

fast skater and physical element we don't have.. Come on this giant is 6'5" 218 and fastest skater and hardest shot in skill 

competition this year... Need to break this young 23 yr old into line up, say 55 games this coming season..

Pedan will be on the roster, player fourth line winger.  He is a fast straight line skater, but he really struggles in the other three directions, with turns, and with quickness.  Why not have him play mostly wing, until he figures out what works best for him on D?  I agree, we need to be A LOT harder to play against, and Pedan offers that.

First post so go easy...

since the the thread is about being creative and I just watched Draft Day, I hope JB channels some Kevin Costner at this years draft.

We we had a horrible season, but have some good news coming out of this year.   The Sedins are still producing and want to win.  We have good Center depth and decent depth on our wings (minus a top 3 RW). We have not one, but two emerging D prospects playing well at the NHL level since Tanev came up in 2011.  The future of our goal tending is looking positive, our prospect depth, farm system and scouting have all improved drastically.  

So not all doom and gloom, and the icing on the cake is the Aqualini's will spend money to improve the team.  So let's buy our selves an improved draft position.

So my creative fix for the 2016-17 season is ....

Trade the 5th OA, Columbus 2nd from the Torts signing to...

Columbus for the 3rd OA and Clarkson's anchor contract for buy out purposes.  (Literally overpay to move up;)

Why... Columbus drops down two spots, still gets a great player, their second rounder back and save millions of cap and real dollars.  Their management might balk, but the ownership in Columbus steps in (hopefully). Van gets its Top 3 winger (Asuming its Poolparty at 3) without needing a FA.  We have our heir to the Sedins to build around, and Poolparty is an RFA asset for years, cheaper than an FA signing for a declining player.  We buy out Clarkson (ouch) but feel better when Poolparty scores 30 goals as the newest and best triplet.  Win win.

creative fix #2

Trade Tanev, 2016 2nd rounder and the rights to Danny Hammer to....

Edmonton for the 4th OA

Why... This is exactly what Edmonton needs.  Tanev and Hamhuis stabilize their D corps and allow their young guns some breathing room to develop.  Edmonton needs to win now, any player at 4 is going to need time, can Edmonton afford to wait?  Tanev is the right fit and is on a great contract, plus Hamhuis may be the only FA that wants to go to Edmonton as it close to PG.  An added plus, they weaken a Division opponent in the near term.  

Van does this to draft JB's favorite D in this draft, setting the table to correct our biggest weakness, top end D prospects.  We sign Jason Demers as our Tanev replacement to take some of the sting out of the move.  

Fix number 3... going full Draft Day, the Canucks version,  since we need D and can trade down to get them.  

Trade the 4th OA to...

either AZ for the 7th and 20th OA or to...

Montreal for the 9th OA and  Juuselen (sp?)

Why AZ does this, the new GM gets to make a splash and draft a local kid in Mathew Tkachuk.. The second best Mathew from AZ in the draft this year.  We get our pick of the Big 3 D in 2016 assuming Brian Burke gets truculent and drafts a big forward at 6.  I like Chychrun as he projects to be a do it all 30 minute guy, but there can a case made for the other two.  JB picks his favourite and we criticize him until proven wrong.  At 20, we pick another stud D unless Jost or Macleod fall.

Similar scenario for Montreal, but they take PLD and we take who ever is left of the big 3 D, plus Juuselen, and our D depth is set for years.  

Creative fix for Van city... Flame away.

9 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

First post so go easy...

since the the thread is about being creative and I just watched Draft Day, I hope JB channels some Kevin Costner at this years draft.

We we had a horrible season, but have some good news coming out of this year.   The Sedins are still producing and want to win.  We have good Center depth and decent depth on our wings (minus a top 3 RW). We have not one, but two emerging D prospects playing well at the NHL level since Tanev came up in 2011.  The future of our goal tending is looking positive, our prospect depth, farm system and scouting have all improved drastically.  

So not all doom and gloom, and the icing on the cake is the Aqualini's will spend money to improve the team.  So let's buy our selves an improved draft position.

So my creative fix for the 2016-17 season is ....

Trade the 5th OA, Columbus 2nd from the Torts signing to...

Columbus for the 3rd OA and Clarkson's anchor contract for buy out purposes.  (Literally overpay to move up;)

Why... Columbus drops down two spots, still gets a great player, their second rounder back and save millions of cap and real dollars.  Their management might balk, but the ownership in Columbus steps in (hopefully). Van gets its Top 3 winger (Asuming its Poolparty at 3) without needing a FA.  We have our heir to the Sedins to build around, and Poolparty is an RFA asset for years, cheaper than an FA signing for a declining player.  We buy out Clarkson (ouch) but feel better when Poolparty scores 30 goals as the newest and best triplet.  Win win.

creative fix #2

Trade Tanev, 2016 2nd rounder and the rights to Danny Hammer to....

Edmonton for the 4th OA

Why... This is exactly what Edmonton needs.  Tanev and Hamhuis stabilize their D corps and allow their young guns some breathing room to develop.  Edmonton needs to win now, any player at 4 is going to need time, can Edmonton afford to wait?  Tanev is the right fit and is on a great contract, plus Hamhuis may be the only FA that wants to go to Edmonton as it close to PG.  An added plus, they weaken a Division opponent in the near term.  

Van does this to draft JB's favorite D in this draft, setting the table to correct our biggest weakness, top end D prospects.  We sign Jason Demers as our Tanev replacement to take some of the sting out of the move.  

Fix number 3... going full Draft Day, the Canucks version,  since we need D and can trade down to get them.  

Trade the 4th OA to...

either AZ for the 7th and 20th OA or to...

Montreal for the 9th OA and  Juuselen (sp?)

Why AZ does this, the new GM gets to make a splash and draft a local kid in Mathew Tkachuk.. The second best Mathew from AZ in the draft this year.  We get our pick of the Big 3 D in 2016 assuming Brian Burke gets truculent and drafts a big forward at 6.  I like Chychrun as he projects to be a do it all 30 minute guy, but there can a case made for the other two.  JB picks his favourite and we criticize him until proven wrong.  At 20, we pick another stud D unless Jost or Macleod fall.

Similar scenario for Montreal, but they take PLD and we take who ever is left of the big 3 D, plus Juuselen, and our D depth is set for years.  

Creative fix for Van city... Flame away.

Thanks for the post and actually going along with the topic haha. It would be interesting to see if any of those moves could be pulled off.

On number one, I would try hard to get Hartnell (played with the Sedins during an All star game and they looked great - compliments their playing style, one less year at a slightly lower cap hit than Clarkson) if possible

On number two, given Edm is a divisional rival, I would hope Canucks try to get at least a prospect as well. This is the one trade I would be least likely to do...Tanev is such a steadying force.

I am not sold on Dubois so scenario 3 is very interesting if Tkachuk is off the board (but as you say maybe AZ isn't interested then). With any luck they could get Juolevi and another prospect.

Ideally I would like to see them somehow pick up an established Off D-man like Tyson Barrie (or similar) but am not sure how many more assets than the 5th overall pick it would take.

Cheers

Good to be creative, but also have to be realistic.

The Sedins aren't going anywhere. They have a full NMC, they love it here, they raised their family here, they're invested. Seeing as they're still super healthy athletes, still putting up points and still have the drive, I can see them playing another 3-5 years with the Canucks.  They're just waiting for better players to come along to knock them down to the 2nd line. Hasn't happened yet, and probably won't next season either.

Miller is only here one more year. After that, Markstrom and Demko will become a very good future tandem.

Tanev and Hutton won Gold at the Worlds. Add a healthy Edler, Hamhuis and Sbisa, along with the giant Tryamkin, and the D doesn't look all that bad. We've also got Pedan, Larsen and Stecher up and coming. Last year they relied on Biega, Weber and Bartkowski too often due to injuries.

Vrbata, Prust, Higgins, Weber and Bartkowski are gone.

Benning needs to sign a top line RW to get the most out of the Sedins while they're here. I predict Eriksson. Would love to sign Stamkos or Okposo, but that just won't happen. What I can see is Benning not being able to lure a big signing here (other than maybe Eriksson), and the Canucks keeping Burrows and re-signing Hamhuis for one more year. Maybe next trade deadline he'll have better luck trading Burr and Hammer.

3 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Thanks for the post and actually going along with the topic haha. It would be interesting to see if any of those moves could be pulled off.

On number one, I would try hard to get Hartnell (played with the Sedins during an All star game and they looked great - compliments their playing style, one less year at a slightly lower cap hit than Clarkson) if possible

On number two, given Edm is a divisional rival, I would hope Canucks try to get at least a prospect as well. This is the one trade I would be least likely to do...Tanev is such a steadying force.

I am not sold on Dubois so scenario 3 is very interesting if Tkachuk is off the board (but as you say maybe AZ isn't interested then). With any luck they could get Juolevi and another prospect.

Ideally I would like to see them somehow pick up an established Off D-man like Tyson Barrie (or similar) but am not sure how many more assets than the 5th overall pick it would take.

Cheers

I would love Hartnel on our roster, but he had a decent year and can still contribute to the Jackets line up.  Clarkson has negative value and I hope enough juice to convince the jackets ownership to trade down to the 5th, just to be rid of the albatross.  I don't think Hartnel has negative value, but would not say no to him on our team.  He could be a more reasonable addition than a FA forward, but what would it take to get him?  At some point we would have to send salary back and our ideal trade pieces all have veto power. Somehow I don't see Hansen, Burrows or Higgins waiving to play for Torts again.  

As for the second, I added the second and Hammer's rights to sweeten the deal.  If anything, I would drop the second and Hammer from the deal and do Tanev straight up for the fourth.  Edmonton may still be sour after losing out on Schnieder a few years back, but it depends on how the deal is sold... ie: who is doing who the favour.  There are some decent RHD available July 1st to soften the blow of losing Tanev.  Demers is a local boy who may want to come home.  

As for Tkachuk vs Dubois.  I think it's a wash, both have potential, although I think Dubios has a higher floor than Tkachuk. If we can ad the 4th OA and or trade up to the 3rd OA, then we should look to trade down with which ever pick is lower.  We get the forward we want and the D that we want.  

Which D is the one for us this draft year?  I like Chychrun, he is getting knocked around by everyone, but he is a heck of a lot smarter than people give him credit for.  Plus that size, skating and endurance.  He will be a minute muncher when he gets established in the NHL.  Juolevi is also a great option, but I wonder if the hype is due to seeing him a lot more as he made the WJC and London is again at the Memorial Cup.  I have no doubt that Chychrun would have made the Finish team if he had been born there and we might have a different oppinion if he played on London, rather than Sarnia.  Same could be said for Dubios vs Tkachuk.  

That's not a knock on Juolevi, Both he and Serge could be picked higher and possibly do better than Chychrun, but like Dubios vs Tkachuk, Chychrun has a higher floor, and I like sure things for the Canucks these days. 

JB would have his stamp on the team, which would improve next year if he does nothing, provided we can stay somewhat healthy.  

Adam.  

Archived