The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jared McCann, 2nd-round pick, 4th-round pick to Panthers for Erik Gudbranson, 5th-round pick

51 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

I think if Tryamkin and Subban have a good season Hutton may be dangled for let's say a Landeskog.

Which looks better?

Juolevi Gudbranson

Hutton Tryamkin

Or

Juolevi Gudbranson

Tryamkin Subban

I kind of like option B more TBH. I'm really excited for this teams future. I'd take our roster over the Oilers even though they have McD.

You'd rather have Subban than Hutton? Can I have some of what you're smoking? Must be real good.

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

yeah. There's more too it though

Larsson, just like Gudbranson, is pretty good defensively, and has an offensive upside, and more of a two-way defender. Gudbranson isn't exactly going to produce you 20-30 points a season however that's not his job. His job is to defend, block shots, kill penalties, protecting our players and bringing in leadership, as well as toughness, things we don't have on our backend. When you think of a Larsson, I think of a Tanev, but Larsson brings you offense. And Larsson isn't some soft defender.

I'd say many view Larsson a better overall player than Guddy. Larsson is just the type of defender you need. An all-around guy. Larsson brings you a bit of everything in every single category there is, and is excellent in a few, whereas Gudbranson is more of that guy who is excellent in pretty much all defensive categories, but lacks some of the things in the offensive categories. 

Hopefully you get what I mean by that last sentence. I can elaborate if you want

I can agree with you Odd.  But don't forget, it seems the bigger men on D are a little slower at reaching their ceiling. I think there is a ton of room for that given EG's age.. This includes Tryamkin as well.

With the likes of a mature Larssen and Tanev, and blossoming Hutton, each potentially pairing off with the likes of Gudbranson, Sbisa, Tryamkin, and Pedan... Players should be complementing, and learning from each other.

One set has the other feeling 3 inches taller, the other set giving confidence in puck play.

our D has great potential this year.

Geeeezzzz. Forgot about Edler... Maybe back to the Panthers at TDL for Mcann ;) 

42 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Gudbranson is 24, 3rd OA pick, led the panthers D in playoff icetime = 4D.  

Larsson is 23, 4th OA pick,  but based on 'potential' = top pairing D. 

I think I saw a great discussion on this here: http://fans.oilers.nhl.com/community/forum/25-oilers-discussion/

Kenny I feel like it's unfortunate that you highlighted a cpl words from my post. It's dishonest and if you read my post it starts with me saying how Gudbranson trade is good for our team.

THis is the first sentence of my post. 

We needed a Gudbrandsson type player very badly............. He's big, strong, gritty and very young. I think it's a good trade.

Yes, We already know Gudbransson's game. Larsson's game is still developing. If you read my whole post I think you will realise I discussed the point you are bringing up. 

Perhaps you feel Gudbrandsson will develop into a puck moving 1st pair Dman. That is a different debate I am willing to have that conversation with you if you are knowledgeable on both players. 

Surely you don't believe Oilers would need to trade Hall for Gudbranson. 

Draft position doesn't mean anything.  

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty sure he's an Oilers fan.

All they do is think in potential rather than reality.

Huge Oiler, Jets, Sens and every Canadian based team fan. I've made that clear over the years. 

Canucks are my hometown team and my fav. team but I cheer for all Canadian teams. 

IF Oilers and Canucks meet in the playoffs I'll be cheering for the Canucks. Have no doubt. 

BTW. Last time Canucks made the SCF I spent thousands of dollars and went to games in every single round. Hope you spent money to support the Canucks too. 

Any of you remember Gerald Diduck? That is current day Gudbranson.

Of course GD was smaller but back then all players were smaller. He played a tough shut down, physical role for us in the early 90's.

When Diduck left after the 94 run I told my friends this is a massive loss. As history proves it was. 

Guddy is a great 4 Dman. It's not fair to expect him to be a 1 RH D. He's not the player you guys are hoping he is.  

17 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

You'd rather have Subban than Hutton? Can I have some of what you're smoking? Must be real good.

No I'm not saying that. If there is no Tryamkin than I take Hutton 120% of the time. But Tryamkin has the size, physicality, and defensive capabilities to allow Subban to do what he does best and be that very good high energetic offensive Dman. Juolevi is what will make Hutton expendable IMO. On the left side we have Juolevi, Tryamkin, and Hutton. Will Hutton like being paid as a good bottom pairing Dman while also getting those minutes? He could line up with Tryamkin on the 2nd pairing but I would rather have him playing the left side over the right.

Sheesh.  God forbid my opinion isn't the popular opinion on these boards.

You must be one of them people that don't believe in Subban. Can I have what your smoking? Must be good...

18 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Huge Oiler, Jets, Sens and every Canadian based team fan. I've made that clear over the years. 

Canucks are my hometown team and my fav. team but I cheer for all Canadian teams. 

IF Oilers and Canucks meet in the playoffs I'll be cheering for the Canucks. Have no doubt. 

BTW. Last time Canucks made the SCF I spent thousands of dollars and went to games in every single round. Hope you spent money to sport the Canucks too. Don't tell me you just support them over the internet. 

Lol are you serious? I never paid to watch a live NHL game in my life, it's all TV and Internet.  Saves me a lot of $ lol. They are a multi million dollar company so why should I spend my $ on them. I'd go to a playoff game or a season game if I had the chance but no way would I spend THOUSANDS when I can watch for free in the comfort of my own home.

If I took this comment the wrong way I appolagize in advance, but don't belittle us fans that haven't paid thousand to support our team.

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Any of you remember Gerald Diduck? That is current day Gudbranson.

Of course GD was smaller but back then all players were smaller. He played a tough shut down, physical role for us in the early 90's.

When Diduck left after the 94 run I told my friends this is a massive loss. As history proves it was. 

Guddy is a great 4 Dman. It's not fair to expect him to be a 1 RH D. He's not the player you guys are hoping he is.  

Bang on

3 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Lol are you serious? I never paid to watch a live NHL game in my life, it's all TV and Internet.  Saves me a lot of $ lol. They are a multi million dollar company so why should I spend my $ on them. I'd go to a playoff game or a season game if I had the chance but no way would I spend THOUSANDS when I can watch for free in the comfort of my own home.

If I took this comment the wrong way I appolagize in advance, but don't belittle us fans that haven't paid thousand to support our team.

Good for you. But for me I've been following this team for 4 decades. 

Nothing like a  cold beer in a rink watching the Canucks play. 

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Which is why Gudbranson is more "just the type of defender we need" than Larsson.

We didn't' trade for Larsson so your point is mute HW. We traded for Gudbranson which was a very good trade for us. 

Oilers didn't trade for Guddy, and they didn't trade Hall for Guddy. They traded for Larsson who is exactly what that team needs. 

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Which is why Gudbranson is more "just the type of defender we need" than Larsson.

Yeah..  (down below)

On 6/30/2016 at 1:10 PM, Odd. said:

Larsson is a better d-man than Gudbranson but Gudbranson is someone we need more of rather than Larsson mainly of his size, upside, and he's a complimentary player to Hutton or Juolevi in the future. We already have Larsson type in Tanev.

I acknowledged the fact that Gudbranson is a player we desperately need.  Both are great players, and Larsson would be redundant because we have a similar player in Tanev.

I love Guddy, he's already one of my favourite players, and I think we'd be better with him in the long-run.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

That wasn't what he was saying, he spoke in generalities.

Sure, but you gotta agree these are two different players who fill two different needs for their respective teams. We needed Guddy desperately, we've needed this player for like 5 years.

Oilers traded for Larsson not thinking about next year but when they compete for Cup which is for the next 2 to 6 years in the future. They will be perennial contenders starting in a cpl of years. We are rebuilding and our young kids need a guy like Guddy for them to feel safe. 

Imagine Guddy protecting the creese in front of Markstrom and then Demko. He's only 24, at the same time imagine Larsson making the outlet pass to McDavid/Draisaitl and company for the next 2 to 6 years.  

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Yeah..  (down below)

I acknowledged the fact that Gudbranson is a player we desperately need.  Both are great players, and Larsson would be redundant because we have a similar player in Tanev.

I love Guddy, he's already one of my favourite players, and I think we'd be better with him in the long-run.

Definitely -- Larsson is still more of an unknown, but we certainly need what EG will bring us more than what Larsson would.

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

I think if Tryamkin and Subban have a good season Hutton may be dangled for let's say a Landeskog.

Which looks better?

Juolevi Gudbranson

Hutton Tryamkin

Or

Juolevi Gudbranson

Tryamkin Subban

I kind of like option B more TBH. I'm really excited for this teams future. I'd take our roster over the Oilers even though they have McD.

Subban is unlikely to ever make the NHL and you Want to trade Hutton? 

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

We needed a Gudbrandsson type player very badly. He's not a top 3 guy, he's a 4D. He's big, strong, gritty and very young. I think it's a good trade. We have Horvat as our future 2C. McCann is not a 1C and he's not a 3C. He would be best at 2C and Horvat is our guy there. 

Larson is a good player. He's got a tonne of potential and in hockey trades are based on potential just as much as current ability. 

I think based on team needs both EDM and VAN did well here. NJD did very well but it's not a lopsided loss for EDM. Hall is a great young player but EDM needed a top pairing RD. That is no easy get in today's NHL. 

VAN needs to draft and develop a 1C. We need him at next year's draft. EDM fills their need for top pair RD and now need to make adjustments to their roster with minor trades and maybe a big UFA signing in a year or two, like Chicago did with Hosa and let their young players develop with age and experience. 

Horvat is a future 1C if you can't see potential the kid has high iq, good speed, good shot, good passing, good defensively, great stick handling, great face-off, very mature hard working and his end to end rush that's not something alot of players in this league can do he's already a leader who thrives in big games ...Improves on those good and it becomes great he's gonna be 1C sooner rather than later, but if we somehow find someone who's even better than him at C we will be contenders year after year...this kid is the real deal he has a mix of Toews and Zetterberg in him and that's got 1C writen all over him...he's the best prospect we've had since the sedins 

Bo Horvat 1C by 2018-2019season 

My expectation for next season 50-60pts.

4 minutes ago, MadSkillz said:

Horvat is a future 1C if you can't see potential the kid has high iq, good speed, good shot, good passing, good defensively, great stick handling, great face-off, very mature hard working and his end to end rush that's not something alot of players in this league can do he's already a leader who thrives in big games ...Improves on those good and it becomes great he's gonna be 1C sooner rather than later, but if we somehow find someone who's even better than him at C we will be contenders year after year...this kid is the real deal he has a mix of Toews and Zetterberg in him and that's got 1C writen all over him...he's the best prospect we've had since the sedins 

I hope you are right. Nothing (Canucks related) would make me happier. 

20 minutes ago, MadSkillz said:

Not sure he'll have the top end scoring for a 1C.  He'll be everything to the team for sure, but I think his scoring will be "real good" but not great like the Sedins.  Would love to be wrong though.

He may.  It is too early to tell.  He'll be an elite 2nd liner if nothing else, but when you see his poise with the puck, he certainly looks to have #1 potential.  He'll never be a franchise player, but with the right linemates I can totally see him putting up close to a point a game in 3 years time.

Archived