The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jared McCann, 2nd-round pick, 4th-round pick to Panthers for Erik Gudbranson, 5th-round pick

5 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

The denial and delusion is unbelievable. 

3 quarters for a dollar! NO Two! NO we ROBBED FLA!!

Is that why every hockey writer not on the Canucks payroll is saying we were violated on this deal?

Where are all the people who were all over the Flames prior to their starting on what has become one of the best rebuilds I have ever seen?

Got news folks, WE ARE THE FLAMES OF A FEW YEARS BACK, that wouldn't move on from Iginla, Kipper, Regier and Phanuef and the whole crew that took them to the '04 final. Patching leaks on the Titanic while pretending they were only a few moves away from finishing what they started in '04.

Our owner does not want or is not able to withstand the financial pressures of a rebuild, he has DEMANDED that this team earn playoff revenue. Gudbranson Erikkson these acquisitions make ZERO sense. 

Ya dat sure werked for de Coilerz! You say? That is the exception, not the rule. This years cup champ Penguins were built the EXACT same way as the Oilers, last years champion Hawks were built EXACTLY the same way as the Oilers, I could go on but you get the point.

We are treading water to stay a float, but if we don't stop thrashing our arms we can't grab the life preserver. Gudbranson is just more dead weight dragging us to the bottom.

Send the Sedins the Vegas for their first rounder. Send Edler to the minors until he accepts whatever trade can be made. Send Hanson and Sutter to a playoff team at the deadline,  Tanev's worth will never be higher, trade him NOW and whatever else is necessary to acquire the possibility of an offensive center. Y'know, do what Burke would have done, 

If you’re going to throughout statements back it up,  Throwing out names like Kipper, Iggy, Regehr and Dion (who was traded at 25 years old) is ridiculous.  How many names from our 2011 cup run are still on this team.  You say Kipper I say we move Luongo 3 years ago.  You say Regehr I say Bieska, Garrison, Salo, and Hamhuis have all came and went through out D core.  This team had made a major transformation over the last 5 years. 

Oh and when flames had Iggy, they were finishing 9th and 10th overall, how many times have canucks finished there?  When flamed had Iggy, they traded down with their draft pick.  When flames had Iggy they traded 1st round picks for UFA rentals like Jokinen and Cammalleri. Tell me what similar moves have canucks made?

But in terms of an actually rebuild,  I’m really curious to how you think our rebuild is going so badly compared to the flames.  Tell me if flames rebuild is so successful. How we years behind them when essential every move they’ve made in the last 5 years, we’ve matched. 

Both teams have had 8 first round draft picks in the last 6 years. 

Both teams have had 3 top ten picks in the last 4 years.

Both teams have traded 1st round picks (flames 15th overall in 2015/ McCann) for young top 4 RHD (Hamilton/Gudbranson)

Both teams have traded former first round picks to each other (Baertschi/Shinkaruk)

Both teams picked a goalie 2 spots apart from each other in the 2nd round of 2014.

Both teams signed UFA goalies in 2014 (Miller/Hiller)

Both teams signed UFA forwards in 2014 (Vbrata/Hudler)

In the last 4 years of drafting.

Flames top 10 picks

Bennett 4 overall

Monahan 6th overall

Tkachuk 6th overall

Canucks top 10 picks

Juolevi 5th overall

Virtanen 6th overall

Horvat 9th overall

It really shows how little someone understands what’s going on when they compare the canucks to the flames of the past and then pretend like the flames have been better at rebuilding.  

5 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

The denial and delusion is unbelievable. 

3 quarters for a dollar! NO Two! NO we ROBBED FLA!!

Is that why every hockey writer not on the Canucks payroll is saying we were violated on this deal?

The Canucks have half of the hockey world on their payroll apparently.

Thanks for coming out, but your gig is weak.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I wanted a house cleaning in the summer of 2012 but that didn't happen. For me no player is ever sacred on a roster. Set a team direction and timeline and then build it out accordingly. Doing a rebuild by bits and pieces might be a safer business move and since the fans in Van generally do not understand how to rebuild then I can see why they are going the route they are. You suggest ownership is the reason they are doing it this way but I would also suggest that it is a safer move for management as well. Most management do not last a full rebuild as fans become impatient or they simply misjudge there players who do not reach their anticipated top ends. The NHL is a unforgiving entity where winning a CUP is the only end result worth discussing. Benning/Linden could do everything right and still not get a CUP winner.

I would argue that if the Canucks had blown the team up in 2012 that they would now be in a position where the team could show signs of progress. IMHO Benning has done a good job with the direction the Canucks have taken. At that I still do not think this club is anywhere close to deep enough in prospect talent. The org's ability and Benning's eye for talent has to work almost flawlessly.

Why so down on Gudbranson? I admit that I have not seen him play a lot. I thought he became available because of his pending UFA status and the Florida need to resign a number of players. That as well as a rookie dman (Mathieson?) who is coming on strong made Gudbranson moveable.

First off with Sedins under contract you can't rebuild. They are two superstars.  No matter how bad the team, superstars will win you games thus preventing tanking. They are impossible to trade at this point.

Secondly how many other teams are trying to "rebuild" right now? Oilers, Sabres, Jackets, Hurricanes, Flames, Leafs, Bruins, Avs, etc... Easier said than done. That's a lot of competition to tank. What if Canucks firesaled all their vets but can only muster a 7-10 pick overall? What is the point of that? Trying to suck with no benefit. Its easier to just bring in young players and compliment them with vets like Sedins, Eriksson, Burrows, Edler etc so they can develop properly. I don't understand what has happened to this generation of "fans" thinking that by trying to lose it will win us a cup one day. I would rather be like the Wings/Sharks/Preds over the past 7 years rather than the Leafs/Oilers/Sabres which is essentially what your asking for. 

22 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If you’re going to throughout statements back it up,  Throwing out names like Kipper, Iggy, Regehr and Dion (who was traded at 25 years old) is ridiculous.  How many names from our 2011 cup run are still on this team.  You say Kipper I say we move Luongo 3 years ago.  You say Regehr I say Bieska, Garrison, Salo, and Hamhuis have all came and went through out D core.  This team had made a major transformation over the last 5 years. 

Oh and when flames had Iggy, they were finishing 9th and 10th overall, how many times have canucks finished there?  When flamed had Iggy, they traded down with their draft pick.  When flames had Iggy they traded 1st round picks for UFA rentals like Jokinen and Cammalleri. Tell me what similar moves have canucks made?

But in terms of an actually rebuild,  I’m really curious to how you think our rebuild is going so badly compared to the flames.  Tell me if flames rebuild is so successful. How we years behind them when essential every move they’ve made in the last 5 years, we’ve matched. 

Both teams have traded 1st round picks (flames 15th overall in 2015/ McCann) for young top 4 RHD (Hamilton/Gudbranson)

Both teams have traded former first round picks to each other (Baertschi/Shinkaruk)

Both teams picked a goalie 2 spots apart from each other in the 2nd round of 2014.

Flames top 10 picks

Bennett 4 overall

Monahan 6th overall

Tkachuk 6th overall

Canucks top 10 picks

Juolevi 5th overall

Virtanen 6th overall

Horvat 9th overall

It really shows how little someone understands what’s going on when they compare the canucks to the flames of the past and then pretend like the flames have been better at rebuilding.  

Exactly. I can't stand these "now generation" so called fans that think running an NHL team is like a video game. Stanley Cup or bust. They have never stepped foot in a dressing room in their life but they are experts somehow. I miss the days where everyone just cheered for their team to win. What an interesting concept eh

30 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Flames top 10 picks

Bennett 4 overall

Monahan 6th overall

Tkachuk 6th overall

Canucks top 10 picks

Juolevi 5th overall

Virtanen 6th overall

Horvat 9th overall

I feel like the only difference is that Calgary has done a better job drafting over the last 10 years than Vancouver has. Well at least a better hit rate than Vancouver has. 

That has definitely helped the rebuild for them.  

Benning has shown that he can find talent in the draft, so hopefully they can build from the drafts and find those late round picks that can make a difference. 

Anyone who thinks Gudbranson is "dead weight" or that this trade doesn't help us, has obviously never played hockey before. No stats will show the differences this man will make for this team, so it's no wonder all the geeks don't get it, whereas the hockey minds do. Guys like McCann are easy to come by, guys like Gudbranson aren't.

34 minutes ago, SpennyCanuck said:

I feel like the only difference is that Calgary has done a better job drafting over the last 10 years than Vancouver has. Well at least a better hit rate than Vancouver has. 

Benning has shown that he can find talent in the draft, so hopefully they can build from the drafts and find those late round picks that can make a difference. 

The biggest difference as of late is Calgary has had some luck with later round gems Brodie/Gaudreau even Gio was an undrafted player they got.  but they've struggled with late first round picks and early second round picks (Jankowski/Klimchuk/McDonald/Sieloff). 

Where as canucks with the little amount of those picks we've had are looking like we've found a few good players in Demko/Boeser.  The book is still out on late round Gems with players like Tryamkin, Olson, Subban, but al teast Hutton is looking solid. 

51 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The biggest difference as of late is Calgary has had some luck with later round gems Brodie/Gaudreau even Gio was an undrafted player they got.  but they've struggled with late first round picks and early second round picks (Jankowski/Klimchuk/McDonald/Sieloff). 

Where as canucks with the little amount of those picks we've had are looking like we've found a few good players in Demko/Boeser.  The book is still out on late round Gems with players like Tryamkin, Olson, Subban, but al teast Hutton is looking solid. 

If you're gonna mention Gio (age 32) as an un-drafted gem, it's probably fair to note Tanev (age 26) as an offset. I know Tanev isn't Gio, but he's still a top pairing defensive D-man.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

agreed, 

Before the 2012 draft, the Canuck's drafting has been prob the worst in the league.

MUCH has changed since then. 

6 hours ago, SpennyCanuck said:

The flames have not been competitive for the past ten years. The Canucks have two presidents trophies, a Stanley cup final appreance, Jennings, Jack Adam's, Selkie, Art Ross and Ted Lindsay awards. We have won our division and have made the playoff's all but two years. 

Hard to compare rebuilding between teams, and drafting, when the Flames should have absolutely killed us on the draft floor in the last ten years.  That we are relatively close in drafting to this point, including all the Gillis drafts, looks bad on them, way more than on the Canucks. 

8 hours ago, Progressive Hockey said:

Anyone who thinks Gudbranson is "dead weight" or that this trade doesn't help us, has obviously never played hockey before. No stats will show the differences this man will make for this team, so it's no wonder all the geeks don't get it, whereas the hockey minds do. Guys like McCann are easy to come by, guys like Gudbranson aren't.

Something else to consider -- the effect Erik will have on Tryamkin and Pedan, showing them the ropes on how to be effective big dmen in the NHL.  Also takes some pressure off Tryamkin as being the one big and physical regular back there and lets him develop out of the spotlight.

32 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Something else to consider -- the effect Erik will have on Tryamkin and Pedan, showing them the ropes on how to be effective big dmen in the NHL.  Also takes some pressure off Tryamkin as being the one big and physical regular back there and lets him develop out of the spotlight.

Yup, everything he is going to bring to this team can't be measured. Especially in the room where these stat nerds wouldn't understand because they have never been part of a competitive hockey team.

Archived