The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tom Nilsson

Here is a bit from EP about him:

Nilsson is a hard-nosed, defensive-minded defenseman. He doesn't have a huge body, but will still play a very physical game and loves to hit, especially in open ice. He also skates very well, but could improve his offensive game. - Erik K. Piri, EP (2014) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=33189#sthash.uGPbxNGL.dpuf

Pro?

Depth.

Con?

Depth?!?!?!?

He will likely spend most of the season in Utica but could be a good project guy akin to Pedan a few seasons ago. It's looking like Green will be staying put, maybe we can turn Nilsson into a formidable defender. He is only 22 after all.

I also believe these last two moves (Nilsson's signing, McCann trade) signals the end for Sbisa. I can see a team like Ottawa or Columbus being a good trading partner when it comes to moving Sbisa.

25 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Just wait. I'm sure the haters are on their way.

As for the signing. Appears to be a depth signing for Utica.

.....sorry....I'm late.............

OH WELL THANK GOD HE MADE UP FOR THAT LITTLE McCANN BLUNDER..............(WHEW) OK EVERYONE OUR OFFENSIVE FUTURE IS IN GOOD HAND'S . NO-NAME GUY FROM THE SEL IS HERE TO SAVE THE DAY.........

Hey, could we send a second rounder to the S.E.L? Just as a little thank you note....y'know?

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So:

Edler

Tanev

Gudbranson

Hutton

Tryamkin

Sbisa

Larsen

Pedan

Biega

Fedun

Nilsson

Stecher

Subban

Sautner

Finally some depth! And that's without re-signing Hamhuis or another free agent.

Its about time we had some depth.. That defense prospect pool doesn't look too bad. Wouldn't mind seeing Hamhuis back for another 2 years just in case of injuries or else the young guys have a difficult time.

I Still hope Sbisa can establish himself..hes a good skater and physical, just not very smart with the puck. Seems to panic.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So:

Edler

Tanev

Gudbranson

Hutton

Tryamkin

Sbisa

Larsen

Pedan

Biega

Fedun

Nilsson

Stecher

Subban

Sautner

Finally some depth! And that's without re-signing Hamhuis or another free agent.

wow...

40 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Pro?

Depth.

Con?

Depth?!?!?!?

He will likely spend most of the season in Utica but could be a good project guy akin to Pedan a few seasons ago. It's looking like Green will be staying put, maybe we can turn Nilsson into a formidable defender. He is only 22 after all.

I also believe these last two moves (Nilsson's signing, McCann trade) signals the end for Sbisa. I can see a team like Ottawa or Columbus being a good trading partner when it comes to moving Sbisa.

Sbisa for a prospect a 2016 2nd and 4th

Assesment of Nilson

Talent Analysis

Nilsson is a throwback, heavy body-checking, defensive defenseman who draws the ire of his opponents with his sometimes borderline legal, antagonistic play. Some scouts see elements of long-time NHL defenseman Ulf Samuelsson in his approach to the game, but he has not yet demonstrated the same offensive elements and instincts as Samuelsson. A right-handed shooting defenseman (somewhat rare among Europeans), Nilsson has a solid shot from the point.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/tom_nilsson/#WDlEmGJ00FTY2gPF.99

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So:

Edler

Tanev

Gudbranson

Hutton

Tryamkin

Sbisa

Larsen

Pedan

Biega

Fedun

Nilsson

Stecher

Subban

Sautner

Olson? Brisebois? Neill? Also, do we still have McEneny and Cederholm in the ranks?

Was trying to think where I knew the name from, and it's because he was involved in the Leafs trade to NYI for Grabner. The Isles let him walk from there I guess (EDIT: they waived him in October of last year with the purpose to release him from his deal - I guess he wanted to come back!).

We'll see what he can bring in Utica, but HF mentions an Ulf Samuelsson comparison (without the offence looking at his stats).

Archived