The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tom Nilsson

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The Oilers didn't give up on Larsen he gave up on them.

As for Nilsson, it seems like he didn't have a place in the Leafs system so he went back to Sweden. Kind of like Peter Andersson did with us. He's merely a depth guy anyways. He'll be an upgrade over our previous depth players.

Actually, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, Nilsson was one of the five guys traded for Grabner - known as the cap space for contract spots trade. The Islanders then waived him and he went home because no one wanted him. 

All 30 teams essentially gave up on him because he was a free prospect last summer. 

13 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Benning burying Subban, how is he suppose to become better than PK if we keep putting other players above him? #FreeSubban

Well he shouldn't be so damn skilled. Benning seems to dislike skill...

Second lowest scoring team in the NHL and so far Benning has lowered the skill level and added players who's top flaw is, very limited offensive output. 

16 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Benning burying Subban, how is he suppose to become better than PK if we keep putting other players above him? #FreeSubban

10 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I was just being overdramatic for the sake of trying to complain about every move Benning makes.

I gathered the second post ;) But really, Subban's not penciled in to even have a shot at the NHL until the 17/18 season IMO. They're going to develop him SLOWLY.

6 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

Actually, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, Nilsson was one of the five guys traded for Grabner - known as the cap space for contract spots trade. The Islanders then waived him and he went home because no one wanted him. 

All 30 teams essentially gave up on him because he was a free prospect last summer. 

Yeah, I'd seen that earlier and posted it. It can be a small world in hockey circles sometimes.

But the waivers were unconditional waivers in order to terminate his contract. He must have had a reason for doing so and another team wouldn't typically pick a player up in that situation. What we don't know is why he'd come back to the NHL a year later.

Good to see JB focussing on defence a bit more now. Stetcher, Nilsson and Gudbranson. These are the kinds of trades, signings and deals we needed to be making last season but I'm glad JB is finally making it count. We needed to spend a bit of money and prospects/picks for these high calibre D-men.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Good to see JB focussing on defence a bit more now. Stetcher, Nilsson and Gudbranson. These are the kinds of trades, signings and deals we needed to be making last season but I'm glad JB is finally making it count. We needed to spend a bit of money and prospects/picks for these high calibre D-men.

Erm.. In the Gudbrandson trade thread you were bashing the trade and saying how Benning should be focusing on Analytics and not meat and potatoes players. Now you come into this thread and say something else :lol:

5 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Erm.. In the Gudbrandson trade thread you were bashing the trade and saying how Benning should be focusing on Analytics and not meat and potatoes players. Now you come into this thread and say something else :lol:

I'm forever amazed at how inconsistent certain posters here are with their views.  There really seems to be a class of "fan" that solely use this forum and this team as their medium for complaining because something else in their life is always pissing them off.

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

DUC does that all the time. He is never consistent and seems to just sway with the opinion at the time.

He is no moaner though.

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

You can't really say Nilsson or Stetcher are high calibre  - yet.

They have still to prove themselves.

On 27 May 2016 at 3:37 PM, chickenman92 said:

Well he shouldn't be so damn skilled. Benning seems to dislike skill...

Second lowest scoring team in the NHL and so far Benning has lowered the skill level and added players who's top flaw is, very limited offensive output. 

Can you explain that one. I don't see his moves that way at all.

On 5/26/2016 at 2:46 PM, DeNiro said:

So:

Edler

Tanev

Gudbranson

Hutton

Tryamkin

Sbisa

Larsen

Pedan

Biega

Fedun

Nilsson

Stecher

Subban

Sautner

Finally some depth! And that's without re-signing Hamhuis or another free agent.

Putting the whole list up makes for better perspective on the depth end of things. People need to remember last season and how heavily Vancouver had to rely on call ups. Adding players gives the team some breathing room on developing a players.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Can you explain that one. I don't see his moves that way at all.

Agreed. Benning  has had to do a heart transplant. No easy task considering the amount of flat liners he inherited.

Archived