The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on the trade? Should we have shopped around for other Dman, and giving McCann? (read desc)

MattCanuck

What are your thoughts, Is the trade right for us? i believe Guds is a good Dman, but Benning Giving so much. Should he had shopped more and thought of the possibility of maybe signing someone like Kris Russell at the free agency or even trade someone who isn't a big future assist as McCann was for us. Would a team maybe take Hansen or Sutter? i suppose this covers us for drafting a Dman but to my thoughts, it seems like Floridia got off easy in this trade and makes Benning look like an easy target.

Leave me your openion and lets just see what others feel about this, if there is another player who should have been moved or if we could have been just as fine with a Kris Russell or someone else.

1 minute ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

In before the lock.

Cool Thanks, i will check that out. I just wanted to get a more see through response system on this tread just because Vintage's is Full of people talking, but seems this one i made has just trolls.

Just now, MattCanuck said:

Cool Thanks, i will check that out. I just wanted to get a more see through response system on this tread just because Vintage's is Full of people talking, but seems this one i made has just trolls.

Don't make redundant threads and you won't get trolled. Pretty simple. More searching, less posting.

1 minute ago, MattCanuck said:

Complains main thread is full of people talking.

Creates own thread asking for peoples opinions. :bigblush:

Just now, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Don't make redundant threads and you won't get trolled. Pretty simple. More searching, less posting.

Yeah, but if you understand what i just told you, Vintage's thread has got to have 500 people posting on his thing, i want to actually get a real debate going with fewer people and see their responses. You can keep calling redundant but its not the same because his is all filler.

Don't we have CBJ's 2nd round pick anyways, since they hired Torts?(Legit question)

Did we really give up THAT much for a solid top pairing minute eating d-man?

McCann - Great prospect, huge upside, but is in a huge log jam of centres. Sedin(35)Sutter(27)Horvat(21)Granlund(23)Vey(24)Gaunce(22) He is also not guaranteed to become a twenty minute player.

Gudbranson(24) is already a proven top 4 Dman. He is filling a HUGE spot in our D core. He is adding depth behind Edler and Tanev that can play big minutes when needed.

Edler Tanev-------------------Edler Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson  vs      Hutton Tryamkin
Sbisa Tryamkin---------------Sbisa Beiga
Beiga---------------------------????

That 2nd set up is 1 injury away from extreme mediocrity.

Look at it this way, if Gudbranson was up for draft this year, and we could draft him, many would want him. A 2nd round pick very rarely turns out to be a player his calibre, and his often many years out of playing in the NHL anyways, swapping a 4th for a 5th is moot really.

We have traded a couple possibilities for a sure thing, we fleeced Florida in this trade.

Just now, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Complains main thread is full of people talking.

Creates own thread asking for peoples opinions. :bigblush:

well have fun being rude towards others, Im just looking for opinions, your just looking for making me look bad.

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Don't we have CBJ's 2nd round pick anyways, since they hired Torts?(Legit question)

Did we really give up THAT much for a solid top pairing minute eating d-man?

McCann - Great prospect, huge upside, but is in a huge log jam of centres. Sedin(35)Sutter(27)Horvat(21)Granlund(23)Vey(24)Gaunce(22) He is also not guaranteed to become a twenty minute player.

Gudbranson(24) is already a proven top 4 Dman. He is filling a HUGE spot in our D core. He is adding depth behind Edler and Tanev that can play big minutes when needed.

Edler Tanev-------------------Edler Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson  vs      Hutton Tryamkin
Sbisa Tryamkin---------------Sbisa Beiga
Beiga---------------------------????

That 2nd set up is 1 injury away from extreme mediocrity.

Look at it this way, if Gudbranson was up for draft this year, and we could draft him, many would want him. A 2nd round pick very rarely turns out to be a player his calibre, and his often many years out of playing in the NHL anyways, swapping a 4th for a 5th is moot really.

We have traded a couple possibilities for a sure thing, we fleeced Florida in this trade.

First off bud, Great response! and second you make a valid point, we dont know McCanns potential if he maybe just a 3rd liner possibly, My guess on Defense is Willie will throw Pedan back there because i know Pedan was tried as a winger but that wasn't so amazing so He will be good on the back end.

I'll take Gudbranson over Russell any day of the week, especially in the Western Conference.  Canucks already have Hutton, and one thing the Canucks sorely needed was some size and push back.  Gudbranson gives the Canucks much more of that, not to mention he is a good, under stated defender.  

Also, this alleviates a lot of the pressure on Sbsia and Tryamkin.  The D group as a whole can really exert their will on other teams now

Archived