The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Nilsson | D

Stanky Legs

6 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

cue the hype train, like that Mackenzie signing had. Oh no more hitting us ferlund, the guy can't even crack the AHL. This is what I call a blunder signing, its freaking pointless and I said it before and I will say it again. Why can't Benning ever sign a player with skill for his projects? 

instead of the same old 6th pairings, or career 4th liners.

Desi, did you not watch this guy play?  I ask you to watch him, and focus on his head - it's always up.  He sees the game exactly like Tanev, which allows him to (seemingly) be one step ahead of the opponents.  This is extremely high skill.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Desi, did you not watch this guy play?  I ask you to watch him, and focus on his head - it's always up.  He sees the game exactly like Tanev, which allows him to (seemingly) be one step ahead of the opponents.  This is extremely high skill.  

Mr Alf we need skill, we need a guy who can put the puck in the net. We cannot become minnesota of 2004 where we sit back and trap all game. 

3 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Mr Alf we need skill, we need a guy who can put the puck in the net. We cannot become minnesota of 2004 where we sit back and trap all game. 

I don't see this player as a shut down guy though - lack of size.  His skill will allow him to move the puck quickly, and then fill a lane on the rush, or cycle.  He's an offensive guy, don't you think?

1 minute ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

mr alf he has 1 goal in 37 games, he is not going to be a offensive guy at all.

Do you think goals denote generating offence though?  That's the ultimate result, yes, but there creating space and opportunity for your teammate's too.  I think anyway, this guy has the elite skill - head always up - to be that type of player.  He reminds me A LOT of Dennis Kearns and Jeff Brown.

Looks like a quick, shifty defender with good agility that will allow him to dodge hits and avoid pressure. He looks like a very good skater and is good on the transition and quick turns. His head is always up and he seems to know where the open man is all the time. Another smaller, skilled, right handed defensman to go along with Larsen, Subban and Stetcher. That's not a bad thing as Tanev and Gudbranson should be ahead of these guys on the depth chart for a while. 

12 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

The Canucks are anything but the Wild of 2004 - they are an up-tempo, attacking, puck pressure, transition team desi.  Just you watch and seeeeeeee********

We didn't draft him but by signing him it's like we recouped our 4th pick in this years draft. An added plus is that he's a few years along in his development as well, so he might be even better now than years past. Either way, deals like this are like picking in the draft,in the fourth round, where anything goes. 

Thats why people need to chill out and let JB steer the ship. He's getting $&!# done. He's not avoiding and ignoring our problems. He's addressing our biggest issues and he's doing a fair job evaluating and valuing talent. People lose their $&!# that a 4th became a 5th, in the Van-Flo Trade but when Mr.Benning goes and signs a 22 yo defensively and (potentially) offensively gifted d man, no one praises the man. Like seriously. Wtf

5 hours ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

We didn't draft him but by signing him it's like we recouped our 4th pick in this years draft. An added plus is that he's a few years along in his development as well, so he might be even better now than years past. Either way, deals like this are like picking in the draft,in the fourth round, where anything goes. 

Thats why people need to chill out and let JB steer the ship. He's getting $&!# done. He's not avoiding and ignoring our problems. He's addressing our biggest issues and he's doing a fair job evaluating and valuing talent. People lose their $&!# that a 4th became a 5th, in the Van-Flo Trade but when Mr.Benning goes and signs a 22 yo defensively and (potentially) offensively gifted d man, no one praises the man. Like seriously. Wtf

When did Weisbrod get onto CDC lol.

Seriously tho.....since our season ended, Benning has quietly gone and added 4 right-handed D....

Larsen

Stecher

Gudbranson

Nilsson

Suddenly we don't have such a need at that position anymore when you add in Biega, Subban and Neill. 

Hopefully Nilsson turns into something.  

41 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

When did Weisbrod get onto CDC lol.

Seriously tho.....since our season ended, Benning has quietly gone and added 4 right-handed D....

Larsen

Stecher

Gudbranson

Nilsson

Suddenly we don't have such a need at that position anymore when you add in Biega, Subban and Neill. 

Hopefully Nilsson turns into something.  

He doesn't look like much more than a depth signing at this point, and I'm cool with that, but I worry he'll leapfrog other RHD prospects and take ice time away from them. I'm thinking of Stetcher and Neill here especially, but say we send down Biega after training camp... Then we've got five RHD in Utica, and I'm not sure if any of them play the left side. Anyway, it's not a serious issue, it's more than I question the developmental side of this signing.

That said, it could be great for us. As mentioned above, the kid seems to have talent, and if he develops into a valuable piece, all the better.

2 hours ago, NameFaker said:

He doesn't look like much more than a depth signing at this point, and I'm cool with that, but I worry he'll leapfrog other RHD prospects and take ice time away from them. I'm thinking of Stetcher and Neill here especially, but say we send down Biega after training camp... Then we've got five RHD in Utica, and I'm not sure if any of them play the left side. Anyway, it's not a serious issue, it's more than I question the developmental side of this signing.

That said, it could be great for us. As mentioned above, the kid seems to have talent, and if he develops into a valuable piece, all the better.

Well just like Cederholm, I can see guys like Neill starting out in Kalamazoo.

Who knows tho....maybe Subban can be packaged. Draft and free agency are still ahead. These signings since the end of the year are things Benning was able to do so far.

On May 27, 2016 at 10:58 PM, SaintPatrick33 said:

Hellz yea JB! At least one of these low profile moves will turn out big for this club. When is the last time we seen the nucks do this much work in signing these types of players? Great work. A swedish defenceman who hits, well played sir

I almost feel like all of these guys could be good, but since they're all competing for a job likely only one will emerge from Larsen, Nilsson, and Stecher.

I personally don't care who it is, they all seem pretty similar... though I would imagine Stecher will be given a slightly longer leash.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's great we got Nilsson, but I think this is a signing more for the AHL and both a project and a gamble to make the NHL. 

Realisically my expectations for Nilsson would be to become a top 4 AHL defendseman and go back go Sweden. But I would be happy to see him become anything more than that. 

11 hours ago, suitup said:

I think it's great we got Nilsson, but I think this is a signing more for the AHL and both a project and a gamble to make the NHL. 

Realisically my expectations for Nilsson would be to become a top 4 AHL defendseman and go back go Sweden. But I would be happy to see him become anything more than that. 

Yeah, most likely stays in the AHL during his tenure with the org.  I like this move a lot more than a revolving door of ECHLers though.

14 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

Yeah, most likely stays in the AHL during his tenure with the org.  I like this move a lot more than a revolving door of ECHLers though.

I agree, it's always fun watching the team or farm team develop prospects. Even if they don't end up as an NHLer, it's nice seeing them develop into top players of the farm team so they can help future prospects develop in the minors. Kind of like Nolan Baumgartner.

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, Echo Park said:

So... what is the deal with Mr. Nilsson? He's only played a handful of games this year for Utica (7). 

he seems to be playing most nights lately. beyond that, i'm not really sure about what's been going on with the guy. It seems he was injured earlier on but no one in the know has ever really commented that I'm aware of. Nilsson has kind of flown under the radar here and elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, UticaHockey said:

Nilsson is hurt again and listed as week to week. Third time this year that he has been injured. I don't think he has played more than 3 or 4 games without getting hurt again.

So based on that he will be our new Sami Salo, powerplay QB that get things done and gets hurt in the process?

Archived