The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think the Nazzy bar is high, but Sven can be a regular 20-25 goal scorer I think. When you look at how he and Bo clicked last year - and that's with most of Bo's draws in our end - I'm pretty excited to see what these two can do together with Sutter taking over some of Bo's shut down role. So that pretty much means WD will split them up, eh :rolleyes:

WD already heavily implied as such - saying that Horvat is better when he doesn't force his offence and that it was taking him away from his game playing him with Baertschi/Vrabta.  He sees him in a checking role with defensive wingers (that was back in March).  

Back in January, he said he had Baertschi with Horvat at the start because he was not doing anything offensively, but was not hurting the team defensively.  Now that his offence is coming back I am not sure that's the role they want for him.  

He seems better served in an offensive role.  He is more about making plays in the O-zone - his strength being his playmaking (something Benning highlighted).  With Horvat they were mostly scoring off the rush and he's kind of just going to the net and waiting for the puck to get there.  It's mostly his offensive creativity that got him drafted in the 1st round and it's not really making much use of it in that role.  

7 hours ago, nzan said:

Not misleading at all, you missed the point.

In the same way he's not yet 27 years old, he's not yet blossomed into a Naslund type player.

The point was that in a dream scenario he could eventually turn into a Nazzy, just like the 2nd we gave up for him could eventually turn into a Shea Weber (Alf's philosophy on why we would never give up 2nd rounders).

I agree with you that the realistic high end is a decent 2nd line winger...which is way better than the realistic high end of the 2nd, which is a maybe-NHLer.

When you say that "Sven at 27 has blossomed into a Naslund type player", you are using the present tense.  In other words, you are telling us that he is 27, which he is not.  If you don't chose the right word, your meaning is lost.  Welcome to CDC.

I did not miss your point, I agreed with it.  :)

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

When you say that "Sven at 27 has blossomed into a Naslund type player", you are using the present tense.  In other words, you are telling us that he is 27, which he is not.  If you don't chose the right word, your meaning is lost.  Welcome to CDC.

I did not miss your point, I agreed with it.  :)

The tense I was using is called Future Perfect if we're engaging in pedantry, and thanks for the welcome.

Glad we can continue to agree on Baertschi.

1 hour ago, nzan said:

The tense I was using is called Future Perfect if we're engaging in pedantry, and thanks for the welcome.

Glad we can continue to agree on Baertschi.

I was being kind if you care to read my initial comment.  Clearly you think you know something about the English language.  Maybe you should use it correctly.

Edited by Crabcakes

10 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I was being kind if you care to read my initial comment.  Clearly you think you know something about the English language.  Maybe you should use it correctly.

You were being pedantic and condescending. I'm not sure why, I've got zero issue with you; quite the opposite, I typically find your pov thoughtful and engaging.

In any case, I'm ready to get back to Sven Baertschi talk.

17 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

Great signing by Benning.

Baertschi looked great last year. He's the type of player this team needs more of. 

He looked great, or okay last year?  IMHAO the reason for his 2 year bridge deal is because he still needs to prove he's a legitimate NHL offensive player.  

If he's not contributing offensively, is he in the league?

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He looked great, or okay last year?  IMHAO the reason for his 2 year bridge deal is because he still needs to prove he's a legitimate NHL offensive player.  

If he's not contributing offensively, is he in the league?

You countered a non existent point in his post... that's impressive.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

What expectations do you all have for Baertschi gong into next season? 

I would like to see him pot ~20 goals, and ~25 assists. 

He scored 13 of his 15 in the last half of the season...The penny didn't drop until the halfway point....IF he stays healthy,20 goals should be his minimum...

Goals are great and 20+ does seem right but let's not overlook his playmaking, which could bring out the best in Sutter and Ericksson as well as Bo.  I get that JB would like to shelter him on the 3rd line but beyond the Sedins he's the best passer we've got and the only one who can skate with guys like Sutter and Bo. 

I wonder why Benning wants to protect Bear so much that he is wanting another top 6 guy....the second half of the season Bear was killin it, and in fact added some power offensive moves to his game. I really hope they give him 2nd line minutes, it is not like he is a rookie at this point, I think he is more than able to handle himself on D and hopefully pot 20 goals. 

Let's let this sink in...we literally stole Sven (a nearly NHL-ready, former 13th OA pick) from Calgary for a 2nd round pick.

Our coaches invested in him, and he improved both his play and confidence dramatically within one full season.

He's now on the cusp of being a top 6, 20g scorer (minimum), and regarded as our next most skilled offensive forward after the twins.  He has chemistry with our future Captain, a two-way  powerforward, who needs reliable offence on his wing to reach his potential of  1C.  

JB re-signed him to a very reasonable 'show me deal,' and is looking for another LW to keep pressure off of Sven for another year.

Burke - thanks for mishandling this asset - you've given the Canucks one last gift. Thank you Treliving for trading within your division.

Hat tip to Canucks management and coaching staff for handling this player nearly perfectly so far.

Looking forward to many years of Baer + Ox...

...and knowing every success will be painful for Flames Fans

image.jpeg

Edited by Kenny Powers
Spelling
  • Upvote 2