The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's actually a compliment to Bo.  The coach trusts him A LOT.  

The article certainly is a bit of an eye opener.  I think there's a quick fix available right now to help start turning things around.  Play Sutter's line as a shutdown line.  Let Bo and Baer have more offensive zone starts.  Bo-Baer-whoever aren't your natural shut down group.  Maybe this is player development, I don't know, but I'd be trying to pick up some wins by using people in the roles they are most effective playing.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's actually a compliment to Bo.  The coach trusts him A LOT.  

I don't know about that, NOt giving him a single Offensive zone face off in entire game when you are down entire game and end up being shut out? 

This is a player who's in a tie to lead your team in goals. You desperately need a goal and you don't use him in a more balanced way.... Oh yeay, your team is the lowest scoring team in the NHL, and you don't put a guy who can score in a position to score? Remember this is the same Horva who led the team in scoring for the last 3rd of the season last year.

Says a lot about WD and his coaching ability to me, but you can read it how you like. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RogersTowell said:

The article certainly is a bit of an eye opener.  I think there's a quick fix available right now to help start turning things around.  Play Sutter's line as a shutdown line.  Let Bo and Baer have more offensive zone starts.  Bo-Baer-whoever aren't your natural shut down group.  Maybe this is player development, I don't know, but I'd be trying to pick up some wins by using people in the roles they are most effective playing.

Pretty much this. If this is player development its a horrible way. You wanna develop the offensive game as well as defensive game of a player. Especially the way the game is going right now towards a more speed skill and higher scoring. 

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't know about that, NOt giving him a single Offensive zone face off in entire game when you are down entire game and end up being shut out? 

This is a player who's in a tie to lead your team in goals. You desperately need a goal and you don't use him in a more balanced way.... Oh yeay, your team is the lowest scoring team in the NHL, and you don't put a guy who can score in a position to score? Remember this is the same Horva who led the team in scoring for the last 3rd of the season last year.

Says a lot about WD and his coaching ability to me, but you can read it how you like. 

Seems like a farcry from the WD we used to remember from the first season.

The guy is good with kids, but that's about it. I'm pretty sure he's losing the room.

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Seems like a farcry from the WD we used to remember from the first season.

The guy is good with kids, but that's about it. I'm pretty sure he's losing the room.

I agree and go further because i think he was losing the room last year when Henrik came out in media on more than one occasion to complain about the style of play they were playing. He wanted more structured system and win 2-1 or 3-2, I guess that's why Doug Jarvis was brought in. 

Even the kids are complaining this year. Baer and Virt don't like how they are being used. Tryamkin can't be happy even though it's his fault he came in out of shape.....

He is definitely losing the room. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I agree and go further because i think he was losing the room last year when Henrik came out in media on more than one occasion to complain about the style of play they were playing. He wanted more structured system and win 2-1 or 3-2, I guess that's why Doug Jarvis was brought in. 

Even the kids are complaining this year. Baer and Virt don't like how they are being used. Tryamkin can't be happy even though it's his fault he came in out of shape.....

He is definitely losing the room. 

Got a quote from Baertschi?

• Upvote 1

Like I said before the season started as good as Baertschi looked on the puck last year he wasn't very effective production wise. Was mostly used in the top 6 and he produced at a 33 point rate over an 82 game season as a 23 year old. Don't be sold on Baertschi as a sure fire top 6 player in our future.

15 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Like I said before the season started as good as Baertschi looked on the puck last year he wasn't very effective production wise. Was mostly used in the top 6 and he produced at a 33 point rate over an 82 game season as a 23 year old. Don't be sold on Baertschi as a sure fire top 6 player in our future.

How was he used in the top-6?  

He only averaged 13:30 over the season - that was 12th among Fs.  Him and Horvat were used as the shutdown line with heavy d-zone starts.  Continues this season.  That's not exactly suited for his style of play.

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, mll said:

How was he used in the top-6?  He played less minutes than he did on average in Calgary.  

He only averaged 13:30 over the season - that was 12th among Fs.  Him and Horvat were used as the shutdown line with heavy d-zone starts.  Continues this season.  That's not exactly suited for his style of play.

The averages are weighed down because to start the year Sutter was there and Vrbata was in the top six. It took maybe a third of the season for Vrbata to just get moved out of the top 6 entirely and Baertschi was used on the top 2 lines with decent PP time.

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The averages are weighed down because to start the year Sutter was there and Vrbata was in the top six. It took maybe a third of the season for Vrbata to just get moved out of the top 6 entirely and Baertschi was used on the top 2 lines with decent PP time.

The line was Baer-Horvat-Vrbata.  

When he was scoring with Horvat (mid-Dec to end of Feb) - he only average 14min a night with even more D-zone starts.  He skipped numerous shifts in favour of Vey, Dorsett etc.   That's not the deployment or usage of a 2nd line.  They were the checking line although labelled 2nd line - there was no one else other than the Sedin line to play against the other teams scoring lines.  Their deployment has not changed with the return of Sutter.  Tonight they went up against Ovi. Sutter played against the Eller line.

Edited by mll

21 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I suggested flipping Baertschi and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Drouin when he was at his lowest point and got flamed hard. Flamed hard in thinking this was a terrible deal for the Canucks.

You got attacked not for the suggestion of the trade, but for believing Tampa would accept that deal.  Yzerman wanted Horvat, and nothing less.  That ended any talks.  

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well there were two sides. But there were some fans that said they'd rather have Baertschi.

Those fans were crazy thinking that Baer has such value.  I seriously doubt Baer could regain the second he cost us.

I think he needs to use a stick with less flex. If you watch slow-mos of his shot attempts, his aim is fine, but the sitck is flexing so much, the puck is often rolling off the toe and off-target, which is why so many of his shots are missing the net. That much flex also makes it difficult to consistently aim a shot on one-timers since the speed and angle of the pass is variable.

He might lose some power on his shot, but at least it'll start hitting the net and closer to where he's aiming at.

Baer and Bo are the only two jerseys I would consider buying from this team right now. Baer's made and received some good plays that haven't been finished, doesn't mean he sucks. There's 73 games left in the season; as long as he can stick with it he's still got a good shot at hitting 40 points. Really curious to see how he would do if Travis Green were coach instead of Willie.. 

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/iain+macintyre+sven+baertschi+survival/11375454/story.html

Also this quote probably says a lot about the impact the team's play style has on his performance:

I think overall your whole game kinda gets a little boost and you do certain things out there that – in a system where it’s more about grinding – you don’t usually do. At times, it seemed like we were on the puck 70 % of the game with Utica and I love that.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/04/08/baertschi-relishing-chance-of-facing-flames

• 3 weeks later...