The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

I really doubt that we will have Travis Green past the end of this season, I think there's a good chance he will be offered head coach in NHL based on his success in Utica over the last 2 years.

Hoping our prospects can soak up as much as possible from him while he's still running the bench down there.

Going over the many pages of posts on the Calgary section of HF Boards, the concerns raised about his defense seemed to be about not always getting back or taking a direct line to his assignment when he's caught up ice, turning up-ice prematurely, cherry-picking, etc. Assuming that there is at least some validity to these concerns, I think being reunited with Green is a great first step in addressing them, given the previous relation they've had and how he's treating everyone else in Utica. Realistically, Baertschi has to be aiming for a 3rd line role on the Canucks, one that will have defensive responsibilities but offensive opportunities too. Since Baertschi played an offensive role for Green when they were in Portland, they can resume that part of their relationship, build his confidence back up, but also add on whatever system- and defensive-remedial coaching he needs.

Baertschi will never be a 3rd line player, he's a top 6 LW and only a top 6 LW. Calgary tried to play him everwhere but in that role, lets not make the same mistake of not giving the kid a shot at his natural role.

Not every player needs to be amazing defensively. Pretty sure Kane doesn't play D, just look at what happened for LA when they picked up Gaborik last year.

I'm so very tired of people trying to turn elite offensive players into something they aren't because they don't know how to use them.

• Upvote 4

I really doubt that we will have Travis Green past the end of this season, I think there's a good chance he will be offered head coach in NHL based on his success in Utica over the last 2 years.

Hoping our prospects can soak up as much as possible from him while he's still running the bench down there.

Even if that does end up being the case, I'm sure whoever takes Green's place will be a good coach and perhaps even bring another positive take on player development.

Even if that does end up being the case, I'm sure whoever takes Green's place will be a good coach and perhaps even bring another positive take on player development.

I'm sure we will find someone else really good who mirrors the style of WD. I think Benning and Linden have a really good view of exactly the personality that they want this team to have.

Or Benning can pull a Holland and not give permission to the other teams.

As a head coach, Green's only got 47 games in Junior and a year and a half in the AHL.

3 years ago he wasn't even coaching and at that time, he had exactly one year as an assistant coach in the WHL under his belt. He's only in his 4th year as a coach, period.

Hiring him as an NHL head coach right now would be a humongous big risk and highly unlikely.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter
  • Upvote 1

As a head coach, Green's only got something like half a year in Junior and a year and a half in the AHL

Hiring him as an NHL head coach right now would be a humongous big risk and highly unlikely.

Yeah, at most he gets an opportunity as an associate coach unless a team's willing to go way out on that limb IMO.

Yeah, at most he gets an opportunity as an associate coach unless a team's willing to go way out on that limb IMO.

Even still, as this relates to Sven, we only need Green coaching him for the rest of this AHL season/playoffs. After that it's NHL or bust pretty much as he's waiver eligible next season.

Edited by J.R.

Wonder if he will be in the Utica line up tonight. going to watch the game. Hope to see a Baertschi Conacher Jensen line.

Heads up the next game is tomorrow, don't go to the rink tonight ::D

I would say both guys are in the lineup.

I mean we can easily acquire one at the draft...

Higgins

Richardson

Hansen

Matthias

Vey

All worth second round picks. Not saying I'd trade them all though. Just an example of our depth..

Matthais and Richardson are UFAs. Not sure if pending UFAs go for 2nd rounders at the draft.
  • Upvote 1

Baertschi will never be a 3rd line player, he's a top 6 LW and only a top 6 LW. Calgary tried to play him everwhere but in that role, lets not make the same mistake of not giving the kid a shot at his natural role.

Not every player needs to be amazing defensively. Pretty sure Kane doesn't play D, just look at what happened for LA when they picked up Gaborik last year.

I'm so very tired of people trying to turn elite offensive players into something they aren't because they don't know how to use them.

Long-term, of course he doesn't make sense as a 3rd line player. But to phase into our team next year, it may be the best, perhaps the only realistic scenario. Does he look ready to make the jump from the AHL to second-line duty now? I expect him to be deployed somewhat like Vey this year, minus the 4th line minutes. While I agree about the stupidity of trying to turn every player into a 2-way dynamo, even offense-first guys have to start somewhere. If he can step straight onto the 2nd line and thrive, I'd be thrilled, but I doubt management is betting the farm on that scenario.

if were doin the nick name thing I like Lil Baer.

I am also highly in favor of this trade we have 2nds coming to us in the off season pre draft likely 2 of Higg, Hans, Lack will be moved? There are also others that could be shipped for later round pix as well. we will do fine.

We now have Sven, Vey, Jensen, Kennins, Gaunce, Virtanen, Shink, Conacher, Archi, Markstrom who will all be looking to fill their shoes.

This trade hopefully will silence the critics that thought we should have gone for the smaller skilled guy over Virtanen. Cake and eat it

Edited by Hunter.S-Kerouac

Over the past 4 years, Baertschi has been the Flames 3rd most efficient point producer (TOI>200 min).

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201115&sit=5v5&type=individual&teamid=6&pos=forwards&minutes=200&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

For Baertschi, we gave up a pick that historically results in a >100GP NHLer 1 out of 3 times.

http://www2.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?ID=267960

...can't thank the Flames enough. They mishandled Sven completely and expected him to produce star numbers based soley on where they drafted him. Should've gave him a full year in the A even when he scored 3 in 5. Was dumb on them and they set the bar way too high. Because of that, this gem lands in our laps for close to nothing :)

Over the past 4 years, Baertschi has been the Flames 3rd most efficient point producer (TOI>200 min).

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201115&sit=5v5&type=individual&teamid=6&pos=forwards&minutes=200&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

For Baertschi, we gave up a pick that historically results in a >100GP NHLer 1 out of 3 times.

http://www2.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?ID=267960

...can't thank the Flames enough. They mishandled Sven completely and expected him to produce star numbers based soley on where they drafted him. Should've gave him a full year in the A even when he scored 3 in 5. Was dumb on them and they set the bar way too high. Because of that, this gem lands in our laps for close to nothing :)

Very similar to how Jensen is being handled by the Canucks. He scored a bit in the NHL, but coaching and management decided he wasn't ready so he's doing his time full-time in the AHL. Calgary just got too impatient with Baertschi and kept rushing him back.

This kid needs to grow defensively and even physically in the AHL for at least a season before we bring him up to the NHL for a stint.

Also smart trade by Benning, who saw Jensen and Shinkaruk weren't doing too well in the AHL. This trade gives them a real kick in the ass, because now I'd slot Baertschi as our first call up over Jensen.

This is a smart move, although we give up a second in a deep draft its not like we cant acquire one at the draft.

Secondly, this buys us some extra time with our prospects such as virtanen and shinkaruk. Really happy with this