The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Feel bad for Baertschi, had a really tough season last year with the major injuries, and now this concussion. I've noticed this year when he was playing that he was avoiding physical contact for the most part. He seems to be a less gritty player, as far as I can tell, and now injury prone. I don't believe he will be a part of the Canucks future, with Dahlen coming up, and Goldobin getting an excellent opportunity with Pettersson. Jake also looks like he's taking another step. Leipsic can also play in the Top 6.  

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Feel bad for Baertschi, had a really tough season last year with the major injuries, and now this concussion. I've noticed this year when he was playing that he was avoiding physical contact for the most part. He seems to be a less gritty player, as far as I can tell, and now injury prone. I don't believe he will be a part of the Canucks future, with Dahlen coming up, and Goldobin getting an excellent opportunity with Pettersson. Jake also looks like he's taking another step. Leipsic can also play in the Top 6.  

LW is a weakness for the Canucks; especially with players that can put up points.  It looks like Dahlen is nowhere near NHL level, Goldobin is struggling right now and Lipstic seems to be in Green's doghouse most of the time.

Baer is the best LW they have and I think he sticks around untill a younger player can match his skillset (and that could be 1-2 yrs away).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Baertschi's agent Andre Rufener said the winger is recovering slowly from his concussion, Rick Dhaliwal of Sportsnet reports.

Rufener sounds distraught over what he calls a "cheap shot" that Vegas forward Tomas Hyka inflicted upon his client in an Oct. 24 contest. Baertschi remains on injured reserve with no timeline for his return.

• Cheers 1

From the Virtanen thread

On 11/5/2018 at 2:29 AM, nzan said:

What really?!

Top 15 percentage would seem to relate to more actual goals.

I’ll try to find that info for myself, but would you pass a link in where to find it if you have it top of mind?

Here's the link: http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20152016&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,120&sort=shootingPctg

He's even 3rd in shooting percentage at 5v5 over the past 3 seasons - data from Corsica min 120 games.  

Over the past 3 seasons Daniel led the team in 5v5 goals with 37.   He only has 3 more than Baer (34) who played 900 minutes less than Daniel at 5v5.  Horvat is 2nd with 35 (1 more than Baer) while playing about 640 minutes more than him at 5v5.  Over that time Baer averaged 780 minutes at 5v5 per season.

Baer is not the shooter on his lines other than on the PP.  He actually led the team in PP goals/60 last season playing on the 2nd unit.

He typically gets his goals from 15ft and under.  He doesn't have a shot like Boeser's that can beat goalies from afar.  It would give Pettersson two different type of shooters on his wings and Baer can also pass the puck.  Goldobin can then be the playmaker on the Horvat line.  

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, mll said:

From the Virtanen thread

Here's the link: http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20152016&seasonTo=20172018&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,120&sort=shootingPctg

He's even 3rd in shooting percentage at 5v5 over the past 3 seasons - data from Corsica min 120 games.  

Over the past 3 seasons Daniel led the team in 5v5 goals with 37.   He only has 3 more than Baer (34) who played 900 minutes less than Daniel at 5v5.  Horvat is 2nd with 35 (1 more than Baer) while playing about 640 minutes more than him at 5v5.

Baer is not the shooter on his lines other than on the PP.  He actually led the team in PP goals/60 last season playing on the 2nd unit.

He typically gets his goals from 15ft and under.  He doesn't have a shot like Boeser's that can beat goalies from afar.  It would give Pettersson two different type of shooters on his wings and Baer can also pass the puck.  Goldobin can then be the playmaker on the Horvat line.  

Amazing, I never would have guessed anything close to this. 

Thanks.

I guess now one would need to consider if that could actually translate onto that line. ie: is it realistic to think that he's going to become the "greasy goal" guy on a line that already has two shooters? I guess if not he can still be a bit of a veteran presence and a passer. Very interesting. And I like Goldobin's passing game lately, it could potentially translate nicely to Horvat and Virtanen.

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No fancy Twitter to quote or similar but solid information (I think it is solid) indicates Sven could be skating again as early as today or tomorrow.   Big step.  

Great news.  You know this team is in tough when Schaller is a top 6 LW.  Come back soon, Sven!

On 11/9/2018 at 4:57 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

No fancy Twitter to quote or similar but solid information (I think it is solid) indicates Sven could be skating again as early as today or tomorrow.   Big step.  

I like you. You contribute alot to this board but your sources suck ass.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

On 2018-11-09 at 9:57 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

23 hours ago, mll said:

3 weeks and he is not yet skating.

You had my hopes high. Before my hopes crashed lol

I really hope somebody pays Hyka back for that crap.

Roussel just smashing his stupid mug in would be fine.

Still choked there was nada from the dip$&!#s at DoPS over it, but not surprised. Gutless pukes.

Edit- get well soon, Baer.

Edited by luckylager