The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

junglesniper

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Going to have to be some players moved shortly in order to make room for Baer and Sutt's as they are due back any time now.

Schaller seems to be the obvious choice to be waived. And maybe Gaudette gets sent down. That would be the easiest move. Let Gaudette play big minutes in the A.

• Upvote 1

Baertschi into 83rd in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal and assist

82.  Cam Neely RW 201 51 53 104
83.  Sven Baertschi LW 206 53 50 103
84.  Donald Brashear LW 388 50 53 103
85.  Hilliard Graves LW 196 42 61 103
86.  Bret Hedican D 310 17 85 102
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Baertschi's 2 goal performance sandwiches him between 2 interesting names.

81.  Mikael Samuelsson RW 155 49 57 106
82.  Sven Baertschi LW 209 55 50 105
83.  Cam Neely RW 201 51 53 104

Didn't realize how efficient Samulsson was, wasn't he also a defensive stalwart? Or am I thinking someone else? 

21 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Didn't realize how efficient Samulsson was, wasn't he also a defensive stalwart? Or am I thinking someone else? 

He was a fixture in the top 6 but was also brought in to be a defensively responsible part of the top 6.  Believed he killed a lot of penalties, was out in the last minute etc.  He made a lot of hay getting power play points with the Sedins.  Baertschi is a different player (Samuelsson had a better shot, Baertschi has better hands), but I think Samuelsson is a player that Baertschi can look to and see if he can match that efficiency.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

He was a fixture in the top 6 but was also brought in to be a defensively responsible part of the top 6.  Believed he killed a lot of penalties, was out in the last minute etc.  He made a lot of hay getting power play points with the Sedins.  Baertschi is a different player (Samuelsson had a better shot, Baertschi has better hands), but I think Samuelsson is a player that Baertschi can look to and see if he can match that efficiency.

I figured he was one of the defensive guys. That's why I was so surprised to see his numbers. Definitely see shades of that in Baer. He's good defensively and good offensively. He won't be the defensive force Samuelsson was but he definitely synergizes well with Petey on the PP, as does most everyone but still. Interesting comparable there.

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't look as though Sven will ever play a full season.  Yes he gets a few points but adding up his total games played and total points over the last few seasons along with his 3.4 mill, the value or return could be better met with a stronger bodied player that can withstand the rigors of the NHL.      Was looking at Beauvillier on the islanders since they have quite a few LW's becoming UFA's this season, they might be willing to take on Baertschi in a trade plus parts as he is signed.  We would have to fatten it up though.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:17 AM, N7Nucks said:

Samuelsson was fantastic in his stint with the Canucks.  Wasn't the greatest skater but he always seemed to know where to be on the ice and contributed nicely on offence without being a liability.

9 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Green said his absence was not due to concussion I believe.

Not far into this road trip so he must have a longer term issue.

If it was a concussion issue, would Baer been put on a plane?  Likely he would have been hospitalized, no?  

3 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Samuelsson was fantastic in his stint with the Canucks.  Wasn't the greatest skater but he always seemed to know where to be on the ice and contributed nicely on offence without being a liability.

He has knew how to dress!