The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

The reason I love the trade is because of this simple fact. If in this years draft, Jim Benning selected with the 45-55 overall pick, a kid named Sven Baertschi, we would be ecstatic. If he was 18, and we had snagged him with that pick, this top six potential, two way, versatile, offensive machine, we would be calling Jim Benning the best drafter of all time. We would be claiming steal from the rooftops and he would be a fan favorite. All Benning did was get a sure first round talent player, who has already gone through the developing stages. He plans on using Travis Green to put the final touches on him, because we all know Travis Green can coach. Baertschi will be able to play third line minutes down the stretch when injuries reoccur. And in the meantime, he beefs up a Utica team, which also has a formal AHL MVP in Cory Conacher, as they go for a run of their own.

I LOVE THIS MOVE. You crafty SoB. I see you JB, I see you..

One thing people are failing to bring up is the position he plays

LW is a glaring hole at both the nhl and AHL level

Fills a much needed void

And people keep bringing up the " he's going to occupy a roster spot next year " argument as to not liking the trade

Well...... Worst case scenario if he isn't playing well he can still be a 13th forward and spend half the season in the press box

I'm not saying it's going to happen because he's already better then linden vey and his defence can't be much worse

If we go off the rails and miss the playoffs or get swept in the 1st round Benning will have the green light to clean house

This was his first season and the team exceeded expectations so his hands were tied

It's easier to off load no trade clauses in the off season, it doesn't screw up the mood in the dressing room

The one area the canucks are lacking is elite level skill which he brings

I don't see any of them as a waiver risk. (Vey is already playing well, Clendening will be better next season and Bert has shown he can handle the NHL all be it i a limited stay)

If as seems to be the popular opinion on here that we trade Higgins, Richie, Hansen for picks (I son't see us letting Matthias go) Then that is a possible 3 roster spots we hope to fill which would allow us to place Jake/Gaunce/McCann in the spare spot (4 if we part with Webber)

JB says the 2016 draft will be even better. So even if these guys struggle a bit we are going to get a payback at the draft.

I do have to wonder if we are on the same wavelength as JB.

He may be for keeping Hansen and Higgins next season and holding the prospects back to mature for another season in Utica (similar to Detroit)

Edited by alfstonker

So if he goes pointless in tonight he's a bust, but if he scores 2G's and an Assist he's the next Naslund.

That's how we do it right?

Wrong if he doesnt score in his first shift then he's a BUST. Anything less than a Hat Trick and he is also a BUST :bigblush:

The point raised on team 1040 is a good one. Baertschi has been gifted a roster spot ....regardless if he's ready or not. His ELC and the ability to send him down to Utica is at an end ( hence why Calgary traded him )so like it or not, he's either going to play in Vcr, or, be waived ( and he will be picked up ) At that point it's wasted 2nd round pick. If he has to be carried will he be afforded the same rules as Kassian is subjected to and which other propsect or FA does not make the team ?

The point raised on team 1040 is a good one. Baertschi has been gifted a roster spot ....regardless if he's ready or not. His ELC and the ability to send him down to Utica is at an end ( hence why Calgary traded him )so like it or not, he's either going to play in Vcr, or, be waived ( and he will be picked up ) At that point it's wasted 2nd round pick. If he has to be carried will he be afforded the same rules as Kassian is subjected to and which other propsect or FA does not make the team ?

nobody is gifted anything. He still has to make the team next year. If he's not ready, then he'll be put on waivers and another team will have to have a spot on their NHL roster for him. I'm guessing he'd clear waivers at the beginning of the season

I think he gets the same treatment Vey got this season, that being a 13th forward that gets a tonne of games in due to injuries and roster shuffling. Even if we take the small sample size of 28 pts in 66 games, we can expect a guy with nearly .5 ppg at the NHL level at 22. Over a season, that's a 40 pt. guy. I find it difficult to believe that he would slack in the offseason, as this is an opportunity he's waited his entire life for.

Right now, Baertschi should spend the rest of the season in Utica to get his confidence back, and learn the Canucks system. In the fall, he'll have to compete with everyone else for a roster spot. The difference is, he's already proven more at the pro level than any of our top rated prospects. Beyond the waiver status, there is nothing not to like about this guy.

nobody is gifted anything. He still has to make the team next year. If he's not ready, then he'll be put on waivers and another team will have to have a spot on their NHL roster for him. I'm guessing he'd clear waivers at the beginning of the season

If he's put on waivers we just wasted a 2nd round pick in a very good and deep draft

Edited by Fred65

Remember he will still have to compete with Jensen, Virtanen, Gaunce, Cassels, Shinkuark, and Vey to EARN ice time. If he Slacks off thats his problem because no one will want him

Virtanen will spend another year in JR, gaunce and Shink in Utica and some vets will be jettisoned at the draft or during the off season.

If he's put on waivers we just wasted a 2nd round pick in a very good and deep draft

OBVIOUSLY you dont read any posts before posting. He will be on the team, doesnt mean he has to play, the pressbox needs someone to sit in it