The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

If he's put on waivers we just wasted a 2nd round pick in a very good and deep draft

only if he's claimed, and if he is that team has to have a roster spot for him on the big club. My understanding is if a team claims him and puts him on waivers the canucks would get him back and would be able to send him down without someone poaching him.

Guest Dasein

McCann can play defense....

Right, because Baertschi only plays in one zone out of the three? Are you Brian Burke?

OBVIOUSLY you dont read any posts before posting. He will be on the team, doesnt mean he has to play, the pressbox needs someone to sit in it

Sure but there are 23 roster spots if you're filling it with guys that can't add to the team and should be in Utica you're not seen to be doing the utmost to win every night, slippery slope. I wouldn't want a Utica player being paid NHL money. Maybe it's another prospect that looses his place because Baertschi is taking his spot. Hey lets hope he come through and plays like a 1st round pick

Remember he will still have to compete with Jensen, Virtanen, Gaunce, Cassels, Shinkuark, and Vey to EARN ice time. If he Slacks off thats his problem because no one will want him

He'll float around the whole game/season and still put up more points than any prospect we have in Utica. Does that count?

Edited by Rey
  • Upvote 1

it's still competition tho

That's a good thing. Brings out the best in every player trying to make the club. When shink gets narrowly edged out by Sven he'll giver even harder down on the farm.

I think he'll be used far better here anyways. Even if he starts out on our 4th line. A willie fourth line is going to get a lot better opportunity than Hartley's go beat someone up, mcgrattan 4th line.

That's a good thing. Brings out the best in every player trying to make the club. When shink gets narrowly edged out by Sven he'll giver even harder down on the farm.

I think he'll be used far better here anyways. Even if he starts out on our 4th line. A willie fourth line is going to get a lot better opportunity than Hartley's go beat someone up, mcgrattan 4th line.

it is true, however, waiver eligibility will be the final factor. If Shink and SB are equal, it will be shink going down, not SB

• Upvote 1

If he were to be put on waivers in the fall I think he'd be gone before we even knew if. A player of this talent and age available for free on the waiver wire? Somebody would make room for him.

That being said, I don't see JB letting that happen.

If he plays poorly enough that we're willing to waive him there's a decent possibility he'd pass, particularly at the beginning of the season as other teams are still trying to figure out what they have (like we did with Markstrom/Sanguinetti).

Question for those in the know...are Jensen, Corrado and Baertschi subject to waivers next season? Man, I miss capgeek.

Good question. The answer is yes. All those guys would have to clear waivers. This means than Corrado, Baertschi (and Clendenning) all pretty much have to be in the line-up next October as they would not clear waivers. The same of course applies to Vey. And I think Kenins would also have to clear waivers.

I think Jensen would clear waivers but might be traded before the draft if JB can get something reasonable for him as the Canucks will have a logjam next year, especially if they re-sign Matthias and Dorsett. Can't see how they have room to re-sign Richardson.

In any case, the Canucks will have some tough decisions and will probably be active in the pre-draft trade market for his reason as well as because of Benning's stated objective of trying to acquire some draft picks.

Forget about McCann?

I was going to make the same point. He is very likely to be on the team in 3 years.

Guest Dasein

So has he scored a goal yet?

LOL JK :lol:

Would love to hear from some of the Uticans about his performance tonight (not what shows on the stat sheet, but how hard he worked, his work along the boards, chemistry with linemates, PP time, speed, defensive awareness, etc - basically, is he playing the game the right way for Green)

So has he scored a goal yet?

LOL JK :lol:

Would love to hear from some of the Uticans about his performance tonight (not what shows on the stat sheet, but how hard he worked, his work along the boards, chemistry with linemates, PP time, speed, defensive awareness, etc - basically, is he playing the game the right way for Green)

as do I, but we have to remember it's his first game with a new organization

some ppl would put him above Horvat.

He's the most talented player in the org not named Sedin

Depends on how you rate them.

Offensive.

Baertshi

Virtanen

Horvat-IMO hes proven he can be offensively productive in the NHL

Jensen

Mccann

Shinkaruk

Physical.

Virtanen (by far)

Horvat

Kennins

Mcann

Overall prospect ranking IMO are:(Forwards)

1. Horvat

2. Virtanen

3. Mccann

4. Jensen

5. Baertshi

6. Vey

7. Gaunce

8. Cassels

9. Shinkaruk

Defensive.

Horvat

Mccann

Gaunce

Potential future top 6:

Baertshi Mccann Virtanen- Benning line

Shinkaruk Horvat Jensen- Gillis line

I never realized until i wrote lines down that they were benning vs gillis lines:-p

Edited by crabbysiren7

Guest Dasein

Depends on how you rate them.

Offensive.

Baertshi

Virtanen

Horvat-IMO hes proven he can be offensively productive in the NHL

Jensen

Mccann

Shinkaruk

Physical.

Virtanen (by far)

Horvat

Kennins

Mcann

Overall prospect ranking IMO are:(Forwards)

1. Horvat

2. Virtanen

3. Mccann

4. Jensen

5. Baertshi

6. Vey

7. Gaunce

8. Cassels

9. Shinkaruk

Horvat is heavy but he is not that physical as in hitting, which is what I think you meant by your rankings since you have Virtanen at #1. In that case, Bo is most definitely falls down on the rankings - he is physical in the sense that he will rub guys off the puck, but he doesn't hit as much as some of the other guys

Physicality:

1. Virtanen
  2. Cassels
  3. Kenins
  4. McCann
  5. Horvat

Also, how come you include Vey at #6 in your overall ranking, but he somehow does not show up on your "offensive" ranking? If you consider him a prospect then he would definitely make the list

Offense:

1. Baertschi
  2. McCann
  3. Virtanen
  4. Vey
  5. Horvat

Defense:

1. Horvat
  2. McCann
  3. Gaunce
  4. Cassels
  5. Jensen or Baertschi

Overall:

1. Horvat
  2. McCann
  3. Virtanen
  4. Baertschi
  5. Shinkaruk
  6. Gaunce
  7. Cassels
  8. Vey
  9. Jensen
  10. Kenins

(forwards only)

Edited by Dasein

A 4th line consisting of:

Baertschi-Gaunce-Hansen/Dorsett/Burrows might be doable next season.

Gaunce being a year older than Horvat, a strong defensive player with size and with a full year of development in Utica might be able to do not dissimilar to what Bo is doing now.

Hansen, Burrows or Dorsett being the defensively reliable veteran on the line. Protect the rookies should things get a little out of hand.

Then having Sven Baertschi playing the role of Kenins now. Play a simple style of game in the meantime, get used to NHL speed and pace. The Sedins with Bonino, Vrbata and maybe Kassian be relied upon to provide offense, so minimal pressure will be placed upon him.