The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

2 points in his first game back; now has 12 points in 8 games in Utica.

Worth noting that while he was in Vancouver, he had the highest Corsi on the entire team and the Canucks had a 0% shooting percentage 5v5 while he was on the ice.

Basically, it means he was insanely unlucky and the points were likely to start coming eventually.

I support our coaching staff, but I still don't understand why he's not being given more of a chance. Give him top 6 minutes for 3 or 4 games in a row and I think we'd see production.

Advanced stats are great and all as a tool, when used in context. But eventually you actually need to put up 'traditional' stats if you hope to keep your spot.

Maybe people need to accept that our coaches and management might have an inkling of an idea of what they're doing...

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Advanced stats are great and all as a tool, when used in context. But eventually you actually need to put up 'traditional' stats if you hope to keep your spot.

Maybe people need to accept that our coaches and management might have an inkling of an idea of what they're doing...

But...but....the coaching!?!? :lol:

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

If they keep switching it up with Goldy and Baer...we can hang on to both of them until the TDL or even the playoffs  where that extra depth and offense just might come in handy....no roster limit;s for the playoffs...

No cap space and recall periods are cumulative for waivers.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Trotz says he uses advanced stats to adjust his coaching.   In fairness he's very critical of Corsi because it doesn't capture shot quality.  High danger scoring chances and expected goals are a better measure of quality.  Baertschi also had the highest high danger scoring chances for and expected goals for per Natural Stat Trick - they did a fair bit better in the scoring areas than their opponents with him on the ice but just couldn't convert.

It's a small sample size and very limited minutes playing mostly with Gaudette and based on a model. Fwiw Gaudette was getting outshot 3 to 2 (40%) but with Baertschi his line was outshooting opponents 2 to 1 (67%).  Again small sample size so who knows if it could hold over a longer stretch.

Hopefully he gets an opportunity with another team sooner than later. I'd think they are going to buy him out this summer if they can't trade him as they need the cap space and it's not worth holding on to him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Trotz says he uses advanced stats to adjust his coaching.   In fairness he's very critical of Corsi because it doesn't capture shot quality.  High danger scoring chances and expected goals are a better measure of quality.  Baertschi also had the highest high danger scoring chances for and expected goals for per Natural Stat Trick - they did a fair bit better in the scoring areas than their opponents with him on the ice but just couldn't convert.

It's a small sample size and very limited minutes playing mostly with Gaudette and based on a model. Fwiw Gaudette was getting outshot 3 to 2 (40%) but with Baertschi his line was outshooting opponents 2 to 1 (67%).  Again small sample size so who knows if it could hold over a longer stretch.

Hopefully he gets an opportunity with another team sooner than later. I'd think they are going to buy him out this summer if they can't trade him as they need the cap space and it's not worth holding on to him.

corsi is next to useless, but I agree on high danger chances. It shows Baer does get to the right spots, but it also shows he can't convert at a rate you'd like to see. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

corsi is next to useless, but I agree on high danger chances. It shows Baer does get to the right spots, but it also shows he can't convert at a rate you'd like to see. 

Well, he hasn't so far, in the 70 minutes he played this year. But that's an awfully small sample size. If he had just got a bounce and had one more point, his production would be his usual half-point per game, decent for his icetime.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Well, he hasn't so far, in the 70 minutes he played this year. But that's an awfully small sample size. If he had just got a bounce and had one more point, his production would be his usual half-point per game, decent for his icetime.

yeah its a shame, you'd like to see the willingness to go there get rewarded. 

• Upvote 2

So Shane O'Brien is coming out with a story on how Bob Hartley reduce Sven to tears during practice and SOB stood up for him.  Unfortunately I didn't get the name of the podcast but Hartley comes out looking like a douche, or a pigeon in SOB words.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not too surprising. Wasn't Hartley the coach who put out a goon line to start a game against the Canucks? When Juice pulled our young centre out of the face off circle saying, "I'll take this one kid" and Torts flew into a rage and tried to fight Hartley in the intermission?

Edit: I miss Juice, and that is about the only fond memory I have of Torts.

Kellen Lain.

#wherearetheynow

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

So Shane O'Brien is coming out with a story on how Bob Hartley reduce Sven to tears during practice and SOB stood up for him.  Unfortunately I didn't get the name of the podcast but Hartley comes out looking like a douche, or a pigeon in SOB words.

So...Hartley comes out looking like what he is....maybe super-douche would be more accurate...

• Upvote 1

Strong start in Utica for Baertschi today nice goal and great assist in the middle of the second period.  Roussel getting in game shape in Utica, also. Boucher unsuccessful on two in cold breakaways so far. Boucher does it all in Utica, PP, PK, successfully - hard to figure this guy can’t find a role in the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Strong start in Utica for Baertschi today nice goal and great assist in the middle of the second period.  Roussel getting in game shape in Utica, also. Boucher unsuccessful on two in cold breakaways so far. Boucher does it all in Utica, PP, PK, successfully - hard to figure this guy can’t find a role in the NHL.

some players

just demonstrate

that their games are not quite suited to the nhl

and do very well in the ahl

boucher is a classic example of this

baer is a bit more complicated

he is/was nhl worthy

but concussion issues

seems to have taken the edge off his game

and he can no longer be successful in the very tough areas of the game

and that step down in his game

makes his game more ahl worthy

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

some players

just demonstrate

that their games are not quite suited to the nhl

and do very well in the ahl

boucher is a classic example of this

baer is a bit more complicated

he is/was nhl worthy

but concussion issues

seems to have taken the edge off his game

and he can no longer be successful in the very tough areas of the game

and that step down in his game

makes his game more ahl worthy

Yeah, I recognize that it’s true, I’m wondering what it is specifically in his case that makes it so. As for Baer, I wasn’t wondering, his concussion problem i# an issue, but I’d venture to say that his risk is pretty much the same in Utica as in Vancouver, especially considering there has generally been more mayhem in the minors than in the NHL. My thought process in regard to why he is in the minors, is that he was marginal as a top six guy in the NHL in any event and he isn’t suited to a bottom six role in a ‘traditional’ deployment - and Miller and Boeser take away two of those spots leaving Baertschi fighting for one of the others with Pearson, Leivo, and Virtanen - who each bring other attributes such as the ability to work up and down the lineup and more of a physical nature. 

4 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, I recognize that it’s true, I’m wondering what it is specifically in his case that makes it so. As for Baer, I wasn’t wondering, his concussion problem i# an issue, but I’d venture to say that his risk is pretty much the same in Utica as in Vancouver, especially considering there has generally been more mayhem in the minors than in the NHL. My thought process in regard to why he is in the minors, is that he was marginal as a top six guy in the NHL in any event and he isn’t suited to a bottom six role in a ‘traditional’ deployment - and Miller and Boeser take away two of those spots leaving Baertschi fighting for one of the others with Pearson, Leivo, and Virtanen - who each bring other attributes such as the ability to work up and down the lineup and more of a physical nature. 

baer is simply more skilled then most ahlers

and can stay out of trouble there as a result

he simply has not shown he can be productive at the nhl level

that is why he was sent back down

there is continual commentary that he just looks different this season

compared to his preinjury performance last season

14 hours ago, coastal.view said:

baer is simply more skilled then most ahlers

and can stay out of trouble there as a result

he simply has not shown he can be productive at the nhl level

that is why he was sent back down

there is continual commentary that he just looks different this season

compared to his preinjury performance last season

different? yes, maybe.

worse? I don't know.

5 on 5 the offensive production lacks but he is very reliable defensively. Meanwhile his power play game looks better. He runs it very well in Utica and didn't he set up 2 of Gaudette pp goals during his short stint in Vancouver, too?

On 11/29/2019 at 1:05 PM, WeneedLumme said:

Not too surprising. Wasn't Hartley the coach who put out a goon line to start a game against the Canucks? When Juice pulled our young centre out of the face off circle saying, "I'll take this one kid" and Torts flew into a rage and tried to fight Hartley in the intermission?

Edit: I miss Juice, and that is about the only fond memory I have of Torts.

Yeah then pretty sure Kevin didn’t do anything and the kid had to fight him anyways