The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dumping Baer’s Contract will take us adding sweetener.  He’s a negative value contract player.  

I think you are wrong about that Alf. He will only have one year left on his contract this summer. I think with some retention of his salary and maybe even no retention at all; he can be moved.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think you are wrong about that Alf. He will only have one year left on his contract this summer. I think with some retention of his salary and maybe even no retention at all; he can be moved.

I sure hope you’re right, but I’m hesitant to believe that’s going to happen.  Baer isn’t exactly the type of player teams want to insulate young guys, so he’d have to go to a developed team.  Developed teams don’t play guys like Baer.  

14 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if at 1.8 mil (50% salary retained by the Canucks) if he can be moved at the draft? he sure seems like he should have something left for some team out there. 

I like this. Seems the fast and easy way of helping Baer get back to a NHL team. One that has trouble scoring. Good value for 1.8 even either health concerns. He'd be worth it. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

On 2/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, kenhodgejr said:

36 points in 36 games so far in Utica.... 

I always thought he had decent skill in the NHL. Why not try him with Bo and Pearson for a bit. It could add some new energy to the team. 

I like Baer but PPG in the AHL doesn’t mean much when your 27. I hope he finds a home back in the NHL but he is done as a Canuck. Honestly think injuries set him back, I think he could have had a higher ceiling if it weren’t for that. Maybe he has a chance to make it on a rebuilding team next year 

34 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I like Baer but PPG in the AHL doesn’t mean much when your 27. I hope he finds a home back in the NHL but he is done as a Canuck. Honestly think injuries set him back, I think he could have had a higher ceiling if it weren’t for that. Maybe he has a chance to make it on a rebuilding team next year 

Lets not forget for a while he was on our top line with Bo and Boeser. In my opinion he still has what it takes to be shifty and score goals. Might be worth a look. His best year in the NHL he scored 18 goals in 68 games 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, kenhodgejr said:

Lets not forget for a while he was on our top line with Bo and Boeser. In my opinion he still has what it takes to be shifty and score goals. Might be worth a look. His best year in the NHL he scored 18 goals in 68 games 

I don’t completely disagree but when he was up the way Green deployed him you could tell. He’s not a Green player. I just don’t see a fit.

At the end of the day it’s not team goal scoring but defence that needs to be better going forward 

11 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t completely disagree but when he was up the way Green deployed him you could tell. He’s not a Green player. I just don’t see a fit.

At the end of the day it’s not team goal scoring but defence that needs to be better going forward 

It's definitely Green's desired team structure that pushed Baertschi out. 

In training camp, there were two groups. The top 6 of each group consisted of NHLers and the bottom 6 consisted of minor league players who were long shots to make the team. Baertschi was on a line with Focht as his center. I had assumed that it was because Baertschi had missed time with injury and they wanted to start him off slow, but after he got cut it was clear that Green had his mind made up before camp that Baertschi wouldn't be on the team.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Devron44 said:

But Sven has always followed Green's instructions.

Focused on being a 200ft player when being coached in Utica.  He was constantly being deployed to "jumpstart" a line when he was in previous years.  

He probably do deserve a call-up plus a longer leash.... but it's like he's the "runner-up" in all facets. 

Is he a good offensive player?  Yes... but who is he pushing out?  He should be ahead of Leivo, Sutter, Eriksson, Gaudette, etc.  Leivo (if he wasn't injured) a bit bigger and "truculent".  Sutter is a centre, so he stays.  Eriksson won't be buried in the AHL.  Gaudette is a prospect needing NHL experience.  Thus Sven is out.

Is he a good defensive player?  Yes... but who is he pushing out? Better than Virtanen, Motte, Roussel, etc.  Virtanen stays because he's GMJB and Green's pet project, plus he has speed/size.  Motte is just a 4th liner and cheap.  Roussel is another energy guy who can play after the whistle.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Focused on being a 200ft player when being coached in Utica.  He was constantly being deployed to "jumpstart" a line when he was in previous years.  

He probably do deserve a call-up plus a longer leash.... but it's like he's the "runner-up" in all facets. 

Is he a good offensive player?  Yes... but who is he pushing out?  He should be ahead of Leivo, Sutter, Eriksson, Gaudette, etc.  Leivo (if he wasn't injured) a bit bigger and "truculent".  Sutter is a centre, so he stays.  Eriksson won't be buried in the AHL.  Gaudette is a prospect needing NHL experience.  Thus Sven is out.

Is he a good defensive player?  Yes... but who is he pushing out? Better than Virtanen, Motte, Roussel, etc.  Virtanen stays because he's GMJB and Green's pet project, plus he has speed/size.  Motte is just a 4th liner and cheap.  Roussel is another energy guy who can play after the whistle.  

What do you mean by “pet project”

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Green said publicly that Baer is “soft” skill.  What Green should have done is said that to Baer in his office.  Then demanded Baer play hard on and off pucks.  Green is the issue, and not Baer. 

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

What do you mean by “pet project”

One of JB's prized pick, Green specifically focuses on him, and how he gets a relatively longer leash to get out of his inconsistencies compared to some other players in the lineup.  

If JV was a Gillis pick or not a high first rounder, his position in the organization would be vastly different.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Green said publicly that Baer is “soft” skill.  What Green should have done is said that to Baer in his office.  Then demanded Baer play hard on and off pucks.  Green is the issue, and not Baer. 

you are so anti green that it is ridiculous

when ever is it the player's fault in your view?

i doubt ever, if there is even a chance green can be first blamed

baer was called up

could not cut it this season

then he pouted

got his agent involved

demanded to be moved

thereby pulling the rug from under jb's ability to move him

was given the ability to arrange a move through his agent

and we have heard a big nada since

they sabotaged efforts to move him, so that now, not even his agent can help

so baer has reduced his own asset value

harming the team

and likely prevented him ever being again recalled

he is a nothing burger to this team now

they'll still try to move him if they can

but that is all on green?

what part is on baer?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

you are so anti green that it is ridiculous

when ever is it the player's fault in your view?

i doubt ever, if there is even a chance green can be first blamed

baer was called up

could not cut it this season

then he pouted

got his agent involved

demanded to be moved

thereby pulling the rug from under jb's ability to move him

was given the ability to arrange a move through his agent

and we have heard a big nada since

they sabotaged efforts to move him, so that now, not even his agent can help

so baer has reduced his own asset value

harming the team

and likely prevented him ever being again recalled

he is a nothing burger to this team now

they'll still try to move him if they can

but that is all on green?

what part is on baer?

I’m pro Canuck’s winning a cup.  Green needs to go for that to happen.  He is too nice.  

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I dunno. I don't think it's either Green or Bartschi. I think it has a lot to do with Baer's injuries. Was starting to pile up over the years, and he was still considered "young"

Green I think is a good coach. He has a rookie dman in his lineup, a second year player in Pettersson, and young players are not necessarily stable players (in their offense, or in their play in general). Green's done a real good work with Virtanen. He's on pace for 45-50 points this season. Could only give him more confidence entering the off-season to keep working on his game. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Alf, brutal man. Green has been nothing but great since he got here, so many players are better because of Green. Team has overachieved a bit imo. Greens third in voting for coach of the year.

I don’t understand the pure hatred towards Green. At all it’s made no sense a year ago and make no sense now

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

One of JB's prized pick, Green specifically focuses on him, and how he gets a relatively longer leash to get out of his inconsistencies compared to some other players in the lineup.  

If JV was a Gillis pick or not a high first rounder, his position in the organization would be vastly different.  

There a couple factors there if by longer leash you mean getting sent down, he’d be claimed of waivers instantly. And JV has had although Raw twice the potential Baer did always 

I don’t think what you are saying has anything to do with who picked him. Maybe it’s because they actually see value in developing him and see him as as a key piece going forward 

Our captain is a Gillis pick

Edited by Devron44

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m pro Canuck’s winning a cup.  Green needs to go for that to happen.  He is too nice.  

Hasn’t looked “too nice” to me lately.

12 Canucks with fighting majors this year. Did you see that timeout in Montreal. He picks his spots like a good coach does. 

Remember when we had Torts. Edlers worst year as a Canucks. Can’t be all poke poke, prod prod to the players all the time and they are all different.