The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

But Sven has always followed Green's instructions.

Focused on being a 200ft player when being coached in Utica.  He was constantly being deployed to "jumpstart" a line when he was in previous years.  

He probably do deserve a call-up plus a longer leash.... but it's like he's the "runner-up" in all facets. 

Is he a good offensive player?  Yes... but who is he pushing out?  He should be ahead of Leivo, Sutter, Eriksson, Gaudette, etc.  Leivo (if he wasn't injured) a bit bigger and "truculent".  Sutter is a centre, so he stays.  Eriksson won't be buried in the AHL.  Gaudette is a prospect needing NHL experience.  Thus Sven is out.

Is he a good defensive player?  Yes... but who is he pushing out? Better than Virtanen, Motte, Roussel, etc.  Virtanen stays because he's GMJB and Green's pet project, plus he has speed/size.  Motte is just a 4th liner and cheap.  Roussel is another energy guy who can play after the whistle.  

He can follow instructions doesn’t mean he’s built for it. I’ve already said I like Baer, seems like a great guy. Like you said there’s no room for him. Great stop gap for the rebuild and he had potential but injuries ruined that.

He served a purpose. Now that purpose has been filled. It’s just too bad if he didn’t have that concussion I’d bet money we’d have gotten something back for him. I’m still rooting for the guy to find a job next year for us and for him 

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

There a couple factors there if by longer leash you mean getting sent down, he’d be claimed of waivers instantly. And JV has had although Raw twice the potential Baer did always 

I don’t think what you are saying has anything to do with who picked him. Maybe it’s because they actually see value in developing him and see him as as a key piece going forward 

Our captain is a Gillis pick

Horvat stepped in immediately, thus there's no issue.

JV took a very long time to get where he is now (even then he's still an incomplete player).  GM's have ego, so it would be very bad for them if their #6 overall pick turns out to be a bust or sent out of town.  Much like how a new GM brought in can just get rid of the incumbent coach because he's not "his guy", the same concept applies to prospects and players too.  JV is turning out to be decent... but he happened to be a pick by Gillis, there would have been a high likelihood he would have been sent away or left unsigned.  

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

Horvat stepped in immediately, thus there's no issue.

JV took a very long time to get where he is now (even then he's still an incomplete player).  GM's have ego, so it would be very bad for them if their #6 overall pick turns out to be a bust or sent out of town.  Much like how a new GM brought in can just get rid of the incumbent coach because he's not "his guy", the same concept applies to prospects and players too.  JV is turning out to be decent... but he happened to be a pick by Gillis, there would have been a high likelihood he would have been sent away or left unsigned.  

I agree GM’s sweat to make sure their picks turn out.

Maybe he got traded. But some (a lot) of players do take longer to develop. I have a hard time seeing it. If Jake wasn’t such a great skater then maybe.

Every new GM is going to look at what they got and plan accordingly. I don’t think they move players or don’t try to develop because they didn’t pick them.

But you’re right it hasn’t been an easy road for them or Jake being a high pick. You have to give credit to JB, Green and JV for the patience and work put in. It’s finally paying off. Next is OJ

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Hasn’t looked “too nice” to me lately.

12 Canucks with fighting majors this year. Did you see that timeout in Montreal. He picks his spots like a good coach does. 

Remember when we had Torts. Edlers worst year as a Canucks. Can’t be all poke poke, prod prod to the players all the time and they are all different.

Green is too nice to his players.  

On 2/28/2020 at 5:04 PM, Devron44 said:

Do you just don’t like him Alf, be honest cause everything points to him being a good coach so far

Green has a losing record with us.  He’s 9 games under .500 and that’s getting worse.  I think his systems are Junior level, and his philosophy is passive.  In no way does he exude leadership.  IMO he’s way too soft with veteran support/role players.  

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Green has a losing record with us.  He’s 9 games under .500 and that’s getting worse.  I think his systems are Junior level, and his philosophy is passive.  In no way does he exude leadership.  IMO he’s way too soft with veteran support/role players.  

I know I know but if he was as bad as you say he is he would have been gone before he even started. Any coach would have been below .500 the first 2 season. Team was awful, defence was one of the worst in the league. That’s pretty tough for anyone 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I know I know but if he was as bad as you say he is he would have been gone before he even started. Any coach would have been below .500 the first 2 season. Team was awful, defence was one of the worst in the league. That’s pretty tough for anyone 

Then if the team is weaker play a trapping system, and limit shots.  Slow the game down to a crawl.  Green is coaching a system where he’s experienced ting to trade chances.  It’s a junior system.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Then if the team is weaker play a trapping system, and limit shots.  Slow the game down to a crawl.  Green is coaching a system where he’s experienced ting to trade chances.  It’s a junior system.  

Shouldn’t be in the NHL If it’s a junior system then. Crazy all the experts and management haven’t figured this out yet. Big trouble if he’s a junior coach in the NHL

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Shouldn’t be in the NHL If it’s a junior system then. Crazy all the experts and management haven’t figured this out yet. Big trouble if he’s a junior coach in the NHL

He was cheap, as was Willie D.  Both guys were pretending to be confident NHL coaches.  As soon as things got ramped up, they melted away.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He was cheap, as was Willie D.  Both guys were pretending to be confident NHL coaches.  As soon as things got ramped up, they melted away.  

They’ve never cheaped out on coaches before, why the last few years?

Just now, Alflives said:

Ran out of money paying Torts?  

A coach who was getting chatter about COTY and almost made the AS game and first in the Pacific until major injuries hit us again, and suddenly he's a junior coach? 

I miss the old positive Alf who doesn't have his head up...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

A coach who was getting chatter about COTY and almost made the AS game and first in the Pacific until major injuries hit us again, and suddenly he's a junior coach? 

I miss the old positive Alf who doesn't have his head up...

I miss him too @Jester13:(

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

The main reason we didn't keep Baertschi up was because there was no room for him on PP2.

We've been playing Roussel on PP2 for almost the whole season now it seems for some reason.. maybe it's time to bring Baertschi back.

I’m with you on that one! I wonder if Green even wants him in the lineup though. Maybe Baers agent ticked JB off too, who knows. Just doesn’t seem like Baer will ever get a shot on this team again