The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

Does anyone think that he would mutually terminate his contract with the Canucks?  That way he can sign with another team.

No.  There is no guarantee that he can get a contract.  The way he spoke earlier this break was pretty clear that he is not looking to terminate his contract.  It's up to the Canucks to find a trade partner, buy him out or send him to Utica for another year - there's no escrow in the AHL.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Buyout seems reasonable: 1.75 AAV next season, & only 800k the one after. Think we could stomach that.

Buyouts are limited, so I think JB utilizes the buyout on another player.

Sven only has 1 season left, so will go to Utica with a cap hit of just below 3M.  Hearing that he is not joining the team for the playoffs indicates that he is done with them.  He may even pack it in and go back to Europe, if he can secure  similar $.

Regarding Eriksson:  with his signing bonus paid (3M) for 20-21, I can see JB sending a package to a team that needs his salary cap to reach the league minimum.  The new team would only be paying Loui 5M for 2 years service, which is really not bad for what he brings.  As long as the other part of the package isn't too damaging for the Canucks, it could be a win=win for both teams.

Not sure who they would buy out.  Even with Loui's cap removed, they still don't have enough for both Marky and Toff.  Definitely they will have go forego re-signing some and/or making a trade.

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Buyouts are limited, so I think JB utilizes the buyout on another player.

Sven only has 1 season left, so will go to Utica with a cap hit of just below 3M.  Hearing that he is not joining the team for the playoffs indicates that he is done with them.  He may even pack it in and go back to Europe, if he can secure  similar $.

Regarding Eriksson:  with his signing bonus paid (3M) for 20-21, I can see JB sending a package to a team that needs his salary cap to reach the league minimum.  The new team would only be paying Loui 5M for 2 years service, which is really not bad for what he brings.  As long as the other part of the package isn't too damaging for the Canucks, it could be a win=win for both teams.

Not sure who they would buy out.  Even with Loui's cap removed, they still don't have enough for both Marky and Toff.  Definitely they will have go forego re-signing some and/or making a trade.

His agent excluded that Baertschi would go to Europe.  Baertschi calls Portland home.

Regular buyouts are unlimited. There will be no compliance buyouts.  Salary retention in a trade is limited to 3 contracts.  

If he is serious about getting back to the NHL I think it may be in his best interest to terminate and sign with another team. Cheap players are going to be in demand so he could find a team where there are less barriers in his way. It will cost him $$$ in the short term but if he has a decent season it could pay off on the other side when compared to what his situation would be like after playing another year in the AHL.  He could find himself a more marketable asset if he is coming out of a (reasonably) successful NHL season as opposed to being a guy who is 2 seasons removed from being an NHL regular. He's a relatively young guy trying to reignite his career not a older veteran trying to milk maximum value out of what is left of his career.

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Buyout seems reasonable: 1.75 AAV next season, & only 800k the one after. Think we could stomach that.

His cap hit while in the minors next year is about 2.3M anyways, only about 600k more. It makes more sense to just let him play in the AHL and not deal with the 800k the year after.

Edited by AK_19
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, AK_19 said:

His cap hit while in the minors next year is about 2.3M anyways, only about 600k more. It makes more sense to just let him play in the AHL and not deal with the 800k the year after.

Yep, Sutter is the only player that it would really make sense buying out, and even not that much.

Savee a little over $2 million next season and adds a little over $1 million the year after.  Assuming you have to replace him in the roster though it adds about a million back onto the cap for his replacement so it nets out to no overall savings over the two years, just some relief for next season.

I think we are looking at  trying to move guys with 50% cap retained instead so we don’t just push cap into years that we still won’t have space.

Sutter at $2.2 million is actually a decent value.  Baertschi at $1.6 is also a decent deal.  We would have saved $3.8 million in cap space next season and not pushed any into other years.  It shouldn’t cost much if anything to exit them at 50%, maybe at worst swapping later round picks by dropping a round... we might even get to move them and retain less than the full 50%.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep, Sutter is the only player that it would really make sense buying out, and even not that much.

Savee a little over $2 million next season and adds a little over $1 million the year after.  Assuming you have to replace him in the roster though it adds about a million back onto the cap for his replacement so it nets out to no overall savings over the two years, just some relief for next season.

I think we are looking at  trying to move guys with 50% cap retained instead so we don’t just push cap into years that we still won’t have space.

Sutter at $2.2 million is actually a decent value.  Baertschi at $1.6 is also a decent deal.  We would have saved $3.8 million in cap space next season and not pushed any into other years.  It shouldn’t cost much if anything to exit them at 50%, maybe at worst swapping later round picks by dropping a round... we might even get to move them and retain less than the full 50%.

I agree Sutter at 2.2 should be enticing for other NHL teams considering his ability, pending UFA status and cap restrictions.

I doubt many trades are going to occur though after these playoffs. No one is certain when the next season will occur and in my opinion its just as likely that we have the Seattle expansion draft before the next season has a chance to begin.

4 hours ago, dpn1 said:

What about The kid that left NYR and went home to Sweden. He could be a good trade for Baer and Sutter.  I am no good with the whole trade guessing thing so sorry in advance.  ::D

As much as that would be great for us, I don't think there's a fit on the Rangers?  They have good(?) young guys like Chytil and others in their depth for cheap, and Sven's not dethroning either Kreider or Panarin on LW for top-6 minutes.  Plus I wonder if they'd want to see if Lias can turn things around and not go the Seguin route of shooting themselves in the foot, esp. by trading a young but immature asset too early.

I'd rather we ship out some depth prospects on the wings and LD and rid of guys like Beagle and Roussel (only 5 team no trade lists) and hopefully Baertschi.  Sutter with a full season still looks tradeable to a contender.

• Cheers 1

Could Ottawa be a possible landing spot?

We all know Melnyk loves to maintain a minimal cap hit.

Mikkal Boedker comes off the books at seasons end.

Seeing as he only played 20 games last year, Sven could provide greater value at a cheaper cap hit.

Seems to be the type of bargain Eugene likes.

18 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Could Ottawa be a possible landing spot?

We all know Melnyk loves to maintain a minimal cap hit.

Mikkal Boedker comes off the books at seasons end.

Seeing as he only played 20 games last year, Sven could provide greater value at a cheaper cap hit.

Seems to be the type of bargain Eugene likes.

Yes please.  Alternatively I wonder if he or Roussel would be appealing to the Coyotes if they don't manage to re-sign Hall and if they can't bring in help seeing how they don't seem to be too high on many players' lists of destinations.  Roussel also only has 5 teams on his no-go list.      

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Yes please.  Alternatively I wonder if he or Roussel would be appealing to the Coyotes if they don't manage to re-sign Hall and if they can't bring in help seeing how they don't seem to be too high on many players' lists of destinations.  Roussel also only has 5 teams on his no-go list.      

The bolded part makes me laugh.  
Im a JB fan.  BUT

In what friggen world does Roussel get a ntc?   He is a 4th liner (3rd when we signed him).  
Straight up silliness.  

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

Roussel provides a list of 5 teams he won't go to. There are 31 teams and will be 32 with his clause still in effect.

Hahaha.  What’s your point?   

Im saying it’s silly that a player of his...... caliber, got a NTC.   

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

The bolded part makes me laugh.  
Im a JB fan.  BUT

In what friggen world does Roussel get a ntc?   He is a 4th liner (3rd when we signed him).  
Straight up silliness.  

The kind that are highly sought after with multiple suitors at UFA.

He's still a 3rd liner. 

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

Hahaha.  What’s your point?   

Im saying it’s silly that a player of his...... caliber, got a NTC.   

I'm guessing that a 5 out of 31, soon to be 32, team league NTC isn't particularly a hurdle. It still leaves 26, soon to be 27 teams to deal with.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1