The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

44 minutes ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

I agree with you on almost all your posts.

But you are just being stubborn on this one lol.

I will say, in 82 games, obviously he hits at least 30 goals.  

but he hasn’t 

B)

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 1:37 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Arguing about whether a 31 goals per 82 GP player is or isn’t a “30 goal scorer” if they never score 30 in one season?

Drop the ******* puck and get some games on TV!

We need some better things to talk about.

Otherwise, the next feud’s probably gonna be over whether or not plus-minus is a meaningful stat. Or if “power forwards” take longer to develop than other players.

Gah, just gimme some actual hockey, please. :lol:

Plus/Minus is a meaning full stat if you're a plus, means nothing if you're a minus lol

• 1 month later...

I wonder if it might be better for the Canucks to just give him another chance with the big team?

He has proven in the AHL the past season that he is able to stay healthy and can still produce.  His cap hit isn't that big of an albatross and the amount that can be buried in the minors isn't that much.  Buying him out doesn't save that much money either.  

He already knows the Canucks system, he already has chemistry with players on the team.  He can play on the 3rd line if need be.  There isn't any indication he can't be productive in the NHL still.  

I say the Canucks should keep him around.  If he's productive enough, his value will be higher and thus he's potentially an asset on a expiring contract.  Worst case scenario, they can bury him back in Utica or LTIR if he's injured.  

7 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I wonder if it might be better for the Canucks to just give him another chance with the big team?

He has proven in the AHL the past season that he is able to stay healthy and can still produce.  His cap hit isn't that big of an albatross and the amount that can be buried in the minors isn't that much.  Buying him out doesn't save that much money either.  

He already knows the Canucks system, he already has chemistry with players on the team.  He can play on the 3rd line if need be.  There isn't any indication he can't be productive in the NHL still.  

I say the Canucks should keep him around.  If he's productive enough, his value will be higher and thus he's potentially an asset on a expiring contract.  Worst case scenario, they can bury him back in Utica or LTIR if he's injured.  

Opting out probably didn't help his chances.  I don't blame him for making that decision, but at the same time he had a chance to show he was willing to put in the work to get back to the NHL and he didn't take it.  Wish him the best of luck but I think it's best for everyone involved to move on.  I don't see a fit with the way Green wants this team to play and his style.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Opting out probably didn't help his chances.  I don't blame him for making that decision, but at the same time he had a chance to show he was willing to put in the work to get back to the NHL and he didn't take it.  Wish him the best of luck but I think it's best for everyone involved to move on.  I don't see a fit with the way Green wants this team to play and his style.

It depends on why he opted out, if he was told by Green he wouldn’t get any game time, or something along those lines I don’t blame him. Why go somewhere you are not wanted. If he just decided of his own back without discussing it first with the team that’s a bit different. I don’t think it’s a clear cut issue. 

however depending on cap and off season moves I do see a situation where JB to tells green to bite the bullet and use him, even if it’s used as a pump and dump to get some return or value in a trade 

13 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

It depends on why he opted out, if he was told by Green he wouldn’t get any game time, or something along those lines I don’t blame him. Why go somewhere you are not wanted. If he just decided of his own back without discussing it first with the team that’s a bit different. I don’t think it’s a clear cut issue. 

however depending on cap and off season moves I do see a situation where JB to tells green to bite the bullet and use him, even if it’s used as a pump and dump to get some return or value in a trade 

If Greener told him he wasn't going to play, I don't see how his mind would be changed.  Benning telling the coach who to play doesn't sit right with me at all.

Edited by King Heffy

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Baertschi can't play in our top 6 and isn't a bottom 6 forward.  He just doesn't have a fit on this team.  Maybe Ottawa will take him on as they only have 3 forwards signed for next year.  Could get a pick for him or maybe package him with another player like Gaudette to get a Chris Tierney.

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Baertschi can't play in our top 6 and isn't a bottom 6 forward.  He just doesn't have a fit on this team.  Maybe Ottawa will take him on as they only have 3 forwards signed for next year.  Could get a pick for him or maybe package him with another player like Gaudette to get a Chris Tierney.

If Baertschi could get a pick in return, he would not have cleared waivers.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He has played on the 3rd line often when Green was juggling line combo.  Sven isn't the 1-dimensional player when he first arrived in the NHL.... has been a responsible 2-way player ever since Green molded him to be.  

You don't need to be some physical brute to be a bottom-6.  Gaudette, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson are hardly what you consider as "truculent".  Considering that one of the major failings against LGK was the lack of offensive production from the bottom-6.  Baertschi does seem to fit the profile.  The Canucks are already paying him... might as well put him into good use.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

He has played on the 3rd line often when Green was juggling line combo.  Sven isn't the 1-dimensional player when he first arrived in the NHL.... has been a responsible 2-way player ever since Green molded him to be.  

You don't need to be some physical brute to be a bottom-6.  Gaudette, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson are hardly what you consider as "truculent".  Considering that one of the major failings against LGK was the lack of offensive production from the bottom-6.  Baertschi does seem to fit the profile.  The Canucks are already paying him... might as well put him into good use.  

Gaudette was totally invisible against Vegas.  Sutter can play a 3C role which gives him a role on this team.  Beagle is a solid 4C.  Eriksson is a waste of air so comparing Baertschi to him isn't saying much.  I do agree we needed more offence from our bottom 6 to beat Vegas, but if we had a healthy Toffoli and a little more truculence in the lineup, especially on the back end, we could have pulled it off and went to the semi-finals.

Motte and Roussel are ahead of Baertschi as bottom six left wingers.  I would also like to see Hoglander called up at some point.  There is no room for Baertschi on this team.  He either plays his contract out in Utica or he can be added in a package deal with another player to get his cap hit off the books.

Ottawa might be interested now - they are $24 million below the cap floor.  Heck, they may even be interested in Eriksson (high cap hit, low salary)

But they'd want a prospect too, like Lind or Rathbone.  That might be hard for JB to swallow

Edited by Googlie

13 hours ago, Lancaster said:

You play Baer and you take TOI away from another player who might be part of a CUP contender in 2 years. Baer might do OK during the regular season but you just have to watch TBay and Dallas to measure where the Canucks have to be a couple of years. Baer won't be part of that. Canucks have to get bigger and meaner to be a contender. TBay is down right intimidating. 

12 hours ago, Googlie said:

Ottawa might be interested now - they are $24 million below the cap floor.  Heck, they may even be interested in Eriksson (high cap hit, low salary)

But they'd want a prospect too, like Lind or Rathbone.  That might be hard for JB to swallow

I'd do something around Baer + Gaudette's rights for Tierney's rights ::D

12 hours ago, Googlie said:

They have 9 players signed to contracts for next season. They'll reach the floor just by signing their RFA's and completing a team

Edited by Where's Wellwood
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I still have no clue why this management feels Baertschi is not an NHL player. Unless I'm missing something I'm sure he could be a solid 3rd liner for us.

Yes I know he declined to be a black ace.

Concussion issues. Scary concussion issues. 

I personally believe he's an excellent fit for our 3rd line, but I would be very scared for him the first few months, and every time he gets hit.

We now have a plethora of NHL wingers, such as Pearson, Toffoli, Miller, Boeser, Motte, Virtanen, Roussel, Ferland (if his career isn't over), and we have a great amount of young players waiting in the wings (Lind, Gadj, Podkolzin, Bailey...)

We can afford to let Sven go.

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Concussion issues. Scary concussion issues. 

I personally believe he's an excellent fit for our 3rd line, but I would be very scared for him the first few months, and every time he gets hit.

We now have a plethora of NHL wingers, such as Pearson, Toffoli, Miller, Boeser, Motte, Virtanen, Roussel, Ferland (if his career isn't over), and we have a great amount of young players waiting in the wings (Lind, Gadj, Podkolzin, Bailey...)

We can afford to let Sven go.

He just spent a year in the AHL without any issues. He's fine. 

I do agree with you on fitting our 3rd line. He showed great chemistry with Gaudette last training camp. Expected those 2 on a line together opening night, but he got edged out.