The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

23 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Considering how Travis Green has always been fair in allowing a player to have a fresh start and being open to change his opinion about a player i.e Eriksson, Baertschi might have a shot here.  Particularly since we aren't likely to have space to resign Toffoli or acquire another top six forward, he could be the internal upgrade from within option.

Pulling for Sven here, hope he seizes the opportunity is is training hard for camp.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Definitely interesting.  Was always a Sven fan, but thought his time in Van was all over.  He will have had a good amount of time away to recover (Not that time heals all) and maybe he could actually come back similar to before.  Maybe he fills a need on the third line:

Baertschi Gaudette Virtanen

• Cheers 1

I actually really like Baer getting another chance on Horvat's line, esp. if the RWer is Virt or Toffoli type who is less about offensive generation and more about finishing plays, meat-and-potatoes offense, some physical/below the goal line play, and in Toffoli's case good positioning. Baer provides a solid LW pass on the break-in and despite never having a major break out season yet at 28, has high-offensive instincts. Maybe the Utica stint even helped him regain more confidence. He absolutely destroyed the WHL under Johnston and Green, played pretty well for Utica with Green, especially leading the team in goals during their playoff run, and then paced for a decent 45 points in Green's NHL rookie coaching year. I could see him getting another - albeit overpaid at this point - shot.

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I actually really like Baer getting another chance on Horvat's line, esp. if the RWer is Virt or Toffoli type who is less about offensive generation and more about finishing plays, meat-and-potatoes offense, some physical/below the goal line play, and in Toffoli's case good positioning. Baer provides a solid LW pass on the break-in and despite never having a major break out season yet at 28, has high-offensive instincts. Maybe the Utica stint even helped him regain more confidence. He absolutely destroyed the WHL under Johnston and Green, played pretty well for Utica with Green, especially leading the team in goals during their playoff run, and then paced for a decent 45 points in Green's NHL rookie coaching year. I could see him getting another - albeit overpaid at this point - shot.

I'm good with Baertschi getting another chance assuming his relationship with management and coaching isn't irreparable.  Of course, it would be nice for the Canucks to sign a forward with a more proven NHL track record at this point, but I have always liked Baertschi and it would be great to see him succeed.

Outside of trading Baertschi to a team that wants him in their NHL line-up, this is the best option to avoid having unproductive $ from his salary.  It might also work well if Ferland is again injured for most if not all of next season, though last year they didn't really call up Baertschi even though there was that opportunity.

If this is in fact the Canucks' plan, then I think I'll start bracing myself for the upcoming year.  I'm not sure if progression by Petterssonn, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat and Demko will make up for the subtractions we have seen so far.  The D is obviously the most concerning part of the equation at this point since Myers is the only legitimate NHL RHD currently under contract.  It'll be interesting to see if the Canucks are able to swing a trade or end up signing one of the remaining veteran RHD.

Playing it conservatively this year might end up being OK long term though since:

1. it will give Hoglander and Podkolzin more development time and, in the latter case, time to come over;
  2. the UFA crop next offseason has some good players available too; and
  3. the Canucks are going to be in pretty good shape with the cap next year.

It might also give the Canucks a chance to recoup some assets for guys like Sutter and Baertschi who are on the last year of their contracts.

• Cheers 1

• 2 months later...

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-can-sven-baertschi-get-it-right-winging-it-to-fill-canucks-big-roster-hole

Ben Kuzma: Can Sven Baertschi get it right winging it to fill Canucks’ big roster hole?

‘I’ll be fighting like hell,’ says the veteran who spent much of last season at AHL Utica. ‘I’m still really confident in my abilities and I know I can be relied on in a day-to-day basis’

Author of the article:
Ben Kuzma
Publishing date:
Dec 17, 2020  •  Last Updated 17 hours ago  •  6 minute read

In an odd year, Sven Baertschi could find himself in an odd roster spot.

The Vancouver Canucks’ left-winger, who cleared waivers and was assigned to the American Hockey League affiliate Utica Comets in October of 2019, and then opted out of the 2020 NHL post-season in June, was upbeat this week when reached at his off-season home near Portland.

Part of the optimism is no concussions last season. Part of it is an unwavering conviction that he’s a National Hockey League player. But the biggest part is opportunity should training camp commence Jan. 3 at Rogers Arena.

“I’ll be fighting like hell,” said the 28-year-old Baertschi. “I’m still really confident in my abilities and I know I can be relied on in a day-to-day basis. I feel so good about my game in many ways and I have to come to camp and make a statement.

“I’ve always had the belief and I’m going to stick with it. I train like an NHL player and think like an NHL player. But I’d be lying if I didn’t think where can I fit in and what could my role be? Anybody would do that — it’s part of the prep.

“I have to keep proving myself over and over and coming to this camp, I have to do it again. Guys will be fighting like dogs for spots and I’ll never settle for less.”

Combine left-winger Micheal Ferland facing an uncertain playing future after multiple concussions with the departure of right-winger Tyler Toffoli in free agency, and there will be positional drama.

There’s an expanded roster from 23 to 25 and a four-man taxi squad. Keeping recall targets here to train and practise while eliminating the mandated 14-day quarantine when crossing the closed Canada-U.S. border in the COVID-19 protocol will also help Baertschi’s quest to stick in the NHL.

However, he doesn’t want to be an extra. He wants to be a lineup staple, and swapping sides may help.

Baertschi took right-side shifts under former Canucks coach Willie Desjardins and it’s not a stretch to suggest that the Swiss winger could be in the mix to find Bo Horvat a winger and possibly reunite with his former linemate. It would be quite the transition for Baertschi.

He requested a trade last year to help restart his NHL career, but there were no suitors. And the Canucks did calculations to see what they’d save if Baertschi was in Utica again on the final year of his deal that carries a US $3.66-million cap hit. However, with six extra players at the coming camp, he should be here.

After all, the Canucks don’t have salary cap space to chase an unrestricted free-agent winger, even on a one-year deal. And whether it’s Mike Hoffman or Mikael Granlund, they’re not taking salary cuts. So drop the camp scrimmage puck and let’s see what happens.

Elias Pettersson between J.T. Miller and Brock Boeser is a lock and Jake Virtanen, who’s coming off a career year with 36 regular-season points (18-18) in 69 games, is going to get a look with Horvat. Can he maintain consistency when playing in the top-six mix to make his two-year, $5.1-million contract extension seem prudent?

What about Baertschi, who appeared in just six NHL games last season on an injury recall, and didn’t score? Can he flip wings?

“At times, back when Willie was there, I played right wing, but it’s been long time,” admitted Baertschi, who had 46 points (13-33) in 43 AHL games last season before COVID-19 cancelled the season in March. “It’s obviously different. You get so used to that side, but if that is being asked of me I would have time at camp to work on it.

“The game does play a little bit different on the right side. The part I do like about it offensively is that it opens up more options

Regardless of where he’s deployed, Baertschi knows what the message will be from behind the bench. He talked to the hockey operations department two weeks ago and Travis Green sang a familiar refrain.

“His expectations never really change, even going back to junior with him in Portland,” said Baertschi. “It’s always about the same things — a fast-paced game and being hard to play against — and being reliable defensively and creating some offence.

“The biggest thing he says to me is that you have to play with confidence in your abilities and make the plays when they’re there.”

Baertschi has had his moments in Vancouver.

He put up 15, 18 and 14-goal seasons before a concussion-plagued 2018-19 campaign limited him to nine goals in 26 games. And while it took time for the sting of clearing waivers to ease, especially just before start of last season, he just didn’t look sharp.

If anything, the emotion of it all forced Baertschi to be a player and mentor in Utica. And if he needed any levity, he got it after clearing waivers again in late November of 2019 and bumping into Nikolay Goldobin in an airport.

Goldobin, who was also waived just before last season, had been recalled and the left-winger was on his way to Pittsburgh.

“It was funny,” recalled Baertschi. “I had an early flight and hadn’t had my coffee yet. And as I looked up we were literally walking past each other. And you know how Goldy dresses. Pretty flashy. I finally woke up. That’s Goldy. Must be going to Pittsburgh.

“We always had a great bond and we weren’t going let a thing like that (demotion, promotion) get in between our friendship. I still love the guy. Awesome dude, and we spent a lot of time together in Utica.”

‘What’s the right thing for me, personally, and for the family to keep them safe?’ he says now of the difficult decision to opt out of life in the 2020 playoff bubble amid the COVID pandemic.

That’s where Baertschi took the high road when other players were recalled by the Canucks. There were still games to win in Utica and a chance to show the organization another side.

“I’m not the most outspoken person or the loudest guy in the room, but there were moments where I was talking more and helping guys out — if the game wasn’t going their way,” said Baertschi. “I stepped up more than the past. If guys had questions, I gave them all the answers.”

The question last June was why did Baertschi opt out of the 2020 NHL post-season?

He said it was more about the COVID-19 unknown than being addd to the roster, practising, probably not playing and being isolated. He took part in Phase 2 training and skating at Rogers Arena in advance of the July camp, but being quarantined for two weeks in Phase 2 gave him a glimpse of what bubble life would be like in Edmonton.

His son, Callan, was 13 months old and with his wife, Laura, they made a difficult decision.

“I pretty much stared at the wall and thought about it every single day,” recalled Baertschi. “What’s the right thing for me, personally, and for the family to keep them safe? At the time, there were so many unknown (COVID-19) things and we know so much more now.

“I was amazed how well the NHL handled the whole thing because there were no cases and that was huge. And the team played great and was fun to watch.”

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

On 12/17/2020 at 12:21 PM, Fred65 said:

I'd have to think there are cheaper options for JB. He may prove to be a NHL player but the likes of Hoglander, Lind or MacEwen are all $2 million below his salary

Unlikely he's going to be trade.  

Even if they send him down, they only save like $1 million in salary cap space.  

You still need to fill that roster spot and it will at least already be around $1 million, if not more.   

So the Canucks have a guy who has bought into Green's system, offensively gifted, with chemistry with players on the team, committed to playing he 200ft game, willing to play an entire season in the AHL.... not saying he's going to carry the team, but it's better than just bringing in players with no previous chemistry or play musical chair and hoping someone clicks.  

On 9/29/2020 at 9:23 PM, Lancaster said:

It definitely very strange.  

Baertschi was one of Coach Green's go-to guy in Utica.  Plus he was also used in all situations when Travis Green first coached the Canucks.  When the Sedins needed a boost, put Sven to take a shift or two.  Need more scoring, have him with Bo.  Need to send a message to the team.... demote or scratch Baertschi.  

Makes you wonder if there's something behind the scene.  Did Sven run over Benning's dog?  Did he steal Green's lunch?  Something much have happened to make him like a pariah... and concussion isn't it.  

I believe his concussion history is entirely it. Rather than see him maimed for life, they sent him to Utica to see if he could play and not get his brain scrambled - they basically gave his job to a bigger, tougher guy who also had a concussion history - if anything is to be questioned, surely it is that. Ferland, by the way, did not survive play in the AHL. He survived and was offered to join the Canucks for the playoffs but Baertschi declined. Now they have offered him a chance to try again for the roster.

On 9/30/2020 at 2:23 PM, Lancaster said:

Makes you wonder if there's something behind the scene.  Did Sven run over Benning's dog?  Did he steal Green's lunch?  Something much have happened to make him like a pariah... and concussion isn't it. 

I personally always liked Baer. I also agree he improved his defensive game.

It just seemed Boeser and then last year Miller were certainly better scorers.  Pearson similar, but a bigger body & more grit.  That only leaves one top 6 winger. Leave that thought for a minute?

>> According to reports Leivo outplayed Baertschi at camp in 2019. He never outscored him prior, but did put up points at 1 pt every two games. Baer #'s.

>> Jake may not have beat anyone at camp? But does skate circles around anybody not named Hughes. Is big and has a wicked shot.

>>  Erickson is also faster, kills penalties. I'll stop there.

>> Ferland and Roussel were both here.

I fully believe Baer had to beat both acquisition Ferland. Plus Josh Leivo for any last top 6 role at camp 2019.  Every one else on this list above is? Even an improved Baer considered for comparison. Is just better suited to either a heavy game, or checking role & grinding roles. Green, I believe, gave Sven every chance to win his top 6 role. Albeit one penciled for Ferland. But gave him a chance. Ferland & Leivo won out. Then he was cut because he just did not suit Greens vision of 3rd or 4th line wingers. 

Green runs a highly role oriented 3 lines. Guys like Jake & Roussel just look better checking with Sutter. Battling in corners. Killing penalties & blocking shots with Beagle & Motte? High spirited gamers, battle & puck winners. 

There is, especially if Ferland is still injured. No Leivo, NoToffoli.  Way less competition this year...  :mellow:

Good chance we do see Sven Baertschi back.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I believe his concussion history is entirely it. Rather than see him maimed for life, they sent him to Utica to see if he could play and not get his brain scrambled - they basically gave his job to a bigger, tougher guy who also had a concussion history - if anything is to be questioned, surely it is that. Ferland, by the way, did not survive play in the AHL. He survived and was offered to join the Canucks for the playoffs but Baertschi declined. Now they have offered him a chance to try again for the roster.

I don't think so. The AHL has many more guys trying to "prove themselves" and they play a little more "wild". He could just as easily get concussions there. I believe management felt he was a step behind in retrieving pucks and perhaps that is due to the fear of concussions losing that half second. Ferland played fearless despite the concussions, which was to his disadvantage it seemed, but it's also what is keeping him around. Leivo, despite his point production, was one of the best on the team at coming out of board battles with the puck.

Management just wanted someone that provided a bit more than just offense (if they're not elite offensive players). See Goldobin as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't entirely agree - I think how he handled concussions, or fear of them, was a huge factor in him not staying with the big team.  Remember Jim's comment just before he got assigned to Utica ......  "His play seems a bit tentative now"  I think management wanted to see how he handled the tough, hard hitting, of a full season.  He passed with flying colours, hence his invitation to be part of the bubble.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

I don't entirely agree - I think how he handled concussions, or fear of them, was a huge factor in him not staying with the big team.  Remember Jim's comment just before he got assigned to Utica ......  "His play seems a bit tentative now"  I think management wanted to see how he handled the tough, hard hitting, of a full season.  He passed with flying colours, hence his invitation to be part of the bubble.

The issue is certainly stemmed from the concussions, there's no questioning that. But I don't think the reason is that they worried that he would get another and have his life ruined (I mean I'm sure they're concerned for his health, but just not the reason why he wasn't in the NHL). At the end of the day, what matters is what they bring on the ice and the tentative issue is as I mentioned how he was a step behind retrieving the puck on the boards. The players that replaced him did just that. I don't think the team has written him off completely, but until he shows that he's willing to do what the team feels is required of him, then he doesn't win a spot. If Baertschi was confident that he could win back a spot easily after passing his test with flying colours, then he wouldn't have declined the invite and saw it as an opportunity to climb back or at least impress enough that another team would be interested (although I don't know the full reason why he declined).

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

The issue is certainly stemmed from the concussions, there's no questioning that. But I don't think the reason is that they worried that he would get another and have his life ruined (I mean I'm sure they're concerned for his health, but just not the reason why he wasn't in the NHL). At the end of the day, what matters is what they bring on the ice and the tentative issue is as I mentioned how he was a step behind retrieving the puck on the boards. The players that replaced him did just that. I don't think the team has written him off completely, but until he shows that he's willing to do what the team feels is required of him, then he doesn't win a spot. If Baertschi was confident that he could win back a spot easily after passing his test with flying colours, then he wouldn't have declined the invite and saw it as an opportunity to climb back or at least impress enough that another team would be interested (although I don't know the full reason why he declined).

Baer is a great guy by all indications. Bottom line is he is 28 years old. His ppg over 291 NHL games is 0.47. His best season was 4 years ago at 18 g + 17 assists = 35 points. He has never played a full season. IMHO he has to play top 6 in the NHL and I don't think he will ever get there. The Canuck depth has past him bye and the fact that no other NHL club picked him up should surprise anyone. 

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Baer is a great guy by all indications. Bottom line is he is 28 years old. His ppg over 291 NHL games is 0.47. His best season was 4 years ago at 18 g + 17 assists = 35 points. He has never played a full season. IMHO he has to play top 6 in the NHL and I don't think he will ever get there. The Canuck depth has past him bye and the fact that no other NHL club picked him up should surprise anyone. 

Yeah that's kinda my point. He wasn't elite enough offensively to have deficiencies elsewhere. I thought he was progressing and becoming more engaged physically and defensively, but unfortunately the concussions happened. I think if management didn't sense that he was a bit tentative, then he could've been suitable for a 3rd line spot at worst.

12 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think so. The AHL has many more guys trying to "prove themselves" and they play a little more "wild". He could just as easily get concussions there. I believe management felt he was a step behind in retrieving pucks and perhaps that is due to the fear of concussions losing that half second. Ferland played fearless despite the concussions, which was to his disadvantage it seemed, but it's also what is keeping him around. Leivo, despite his point production, was one of the best on the team at coming out of board battles with the puck.

Management just wanted someone that provided a bit more than just offense (if they're not elite offensive players). See Goldobin as well.

“. Leivo, despite his point production, was one of the best on the team at coming out of board battles with the puck.” I doubt that the Canucks valued it that much, because if they did, they could have bought out Baertschi and kept Leivo - if your theory was correct... but the didn’t - so I don’t buy your theory. After the experience with Baertschi over multiple concussions, and granted Ferland’s style, surely signing him to an equally big contract was simply a huge mistake that continues to this day. I wouldn’t call Ferland’s play in his current circumstances fearless, perhaps stupid or rash is more apt.

• Cheers 1