The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Guy works his way back from injuries and then the incompetent duo of JB and TG bury him in Utica while they played useless plugs like Roussel 

Yet another reason Aqua needs to clean house 

Right. Cause he's not a defensive liability at all. He's only -9 through 13 games, one off of the team worst and tied for 938/975 league wide, plays on a line where the other 2 players are + players and on a team that is even overall. 

I know that +/- isn't a great stat for overall player judgement but he was sent down because aside from recovering from injury, he needed to work on the defensive side of his game and 2 years later he still hasn't figured that part of the game out. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Right. Cause he's not a defensive liability at all. He's only -9 through 13 games, one off of the team worst and tied for 938/975 league wide, plays on a line where the other 2 players are + players and on a team that is even overall. 

I know that +/- isn't a great stat for overall player judgement but he was sent down because aside from recovering from injury, he needed to work on the defensive side of his game and 2 years later he still hasn't figured that part of the game out. 

He's also being outperformed by a 23yr old and (3) 21 yr olds.  Unfortunately for Baer, no other team wanted him either.

23 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Sooooo you would rather play Roussel who can not score to save his life and is completely irresponsible on the discipline front

makes perfect sense 

by the way, have you checked Roussel’s plus/minus? 

47 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Sooooo you would rather play Roussel who can not score to save his life and is completely irresponsible on the discipline front

makes perfect sense 

First on the Canucks with +4

Thanks for coming out 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

makes perfect sense 

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

First on the Canucks with +4

Thanks for coming out 

Not to mention that he is our best penalty killer, and yes I'm including Motte in that statement.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Not to mention that he is our best penalty killer, and yes I'm including Motte in that statement.

Shall we deduct goals scored against while sitting in the penalty box 

If he is such a highly touted “defensive star” why didn’t a single team make JB an offer he could not refuse

roussel is just another bottom 6 plug and a terrible signing for JB 

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

If he is such a highly touted “defensive star” why didn’t a single team make JB an offer he could not refuse

What is this, a mob movie? 

No it's reality and the reality is that on this team Roussel is a defensively reliable forward who is very good at killing penalties well also being very targeted by the refs. I remember watching a game not long before the break where Roussel was given 2 tripping penalties and in both the replays clearly showed he never touched the opposing player.

He is also very overpaid which is why no other GM is willing to take him on his current contract. That was necessary because at the time with our team in the basement of the standings and no proven blue chip prospects (Pettersson hadn't played a game for us yet) it was the only way to attract a free agent.

Now we use him almost as a coach to teach the new, young talent on this team what it takes to kill penalties then, when the youth is properly developed and ready to take over, we cut him loose after his contract expires next year.

And, ummm, you're the only one calling him a "defensive star"

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

What is this, a mob movie? 

No it's reality and the reality is that on this team Roussel is a defensively reliable forward who is very good at killing penalties well also being very targeted by the refs. I remember watching a game not long before the break where Roussel was given 2 tripping penalties and in both the replays clearly showed he never touched the opposing player.

He is also very overpaid which is why no other GM is willing to take him on his current contract. That was necessary because at the time with our team in the basement of the standings and no proven blue chip prospects (Pettersson hadn't played a game for us yet) it was the only way to attract a free agent.

Now we use him almost as a coach to teach the new, young talent on this team what it takes to kill penalties then, when the youth is properly developed and ready to take over, we cut him loose after his contract expires next year.

And, ummm, you're the only one calling him a "defensive star"

He was also an elite pest, two way, 3rd liner with borderline 2nd line production when we signed him (and his first year here) before his knee injury. Pre-injury, I'm not even sure he was much/any overpaid.

Now, post injury, sure he's 'overpaid'.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Who said he's a "defensive star"? You have that in quotes but I can't see anyone who referred to him as such.

32 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I'm starting to think the issue may be more personal for why Baertschi is not getting called up. Why in the world is Marc Michaelis playing on this team over him?

Having opted out of the playoff bubble, could it be that he has told management "don't bring me up to that covid cesspool, leave me here where I am safe and productive"?

16 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I'm starting to think the issue may be more personal for why Baertschi is not getting called up. Why in the world is Marc Michaelis playing on this team over him?

From what I have read on Canucks Army (link through here for proper credit), it looks to be off-ice tension between Green and Baertschi. The number reports of our Utica Comets prospects and rookies gelling with, and looking for mentorship/advice from Baertschi may illustrate that the problem is not with Baertschi specifically. 

Ughhhh…

Let’s close with this one.

I’ve heard a lot of different stories on the Sven Baertschi-Travis Green situation. The common theme is exactly that, a problem between Green and Baertschi.

Multiple sources have confirmed that it’s not a problem with Baertschi and management or his teammates. It appears to be a problem between Green and Baertschi.

This problem began at training camp in Victoria when an apparent incident occurred between Baertschi and Green on the night that Baertschi was assigned to Utica.

We all remember that there were concussion concerns around Baertschi going into that season but he was confident that he was ready to play and Green did not believe he would bring enough intensity in the defensive zone.

From what I’ve heard, there was an altercation between Baertschi and Green and since then it seems as Green would not give Baertschi a real shot to play for him.

Baertschi has been a great soldier in Utica over the past two seasons and it shows as every Comets prospect I talk to brings up his leadership and says how much they respect Baertschi.

Though I believe that Green is the right coach for this team moving forward, I don’t like the fact that an off-ice incident is keeping an NHL-quality player out of the Canucks’ lineup. That’s not a good trend to establish as a coach moving forward.

He should be considered for a callup. There no doubt in my mind that Baertschi would make a bigger impact today than players like Marc Michaelis, Jayce Hawryluk and Travis Boyd.

He has been a consummate professional for the Comets and I hope he can continue his NHL career. It would have been ideal for us, specifically, but if it is elsewhere, I understand too. 

1 hour ago, AK_19 said:

I think it's simply that be doesn't really have a role on the current team (not good enough offense for the top 6, not good enough defense for the bottom, borderline at best PP2 option, doesn't PK) and hasn't played with with the same 'grit' since his concussions.

I mean he's a minus player in the AHL... I feel for the guy but post concussion, he's at best a fringe NHL player on a poor team.

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think it's simply that be doesn't really have a role on the current team (not good enough offense for the top 6, not good enough defense for the bottom, borderline at best PP2 option, doesn't PK) and hasn't played with with the same 'grit' since his concussions.

I mean he's a minus player in the AHL... I feel for the guy but post concussion, he's at best a fringe NHL player on a poor team.

Well we kinda need a fringe player that can score rn but you know it ain’t happened we solely rely on our top guys to score 0 bottom 6 production required.

17 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Well we kinda need a fringe player that can score rn but you know it ain’t happened we solely rely on our top guys to score 0 bottom 6 production required.

Biggest problem with our bottom 6 this year was both Gaudette and Virtanen's complimentary production falling off a cliff.

We just moved the most one dimensional guy of the two out because his defensive play didn't take the hoped for next step, not sure why we'd replace him with a guy who has basically the same deficiencies.

I'd rather give guys like a Lind a look.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Biggest problem with our bottom 6 this year was both Gaudette and Virtanen's complimentary production falling off a cliff.

We just moved the most one dimensional guy of the two out because his defensive play didn't take the hoped for next step, not sure why we'd replace him with a guy who has basically the same deficiencies.

I'd rather give guys like a Lind a look.

But we haven’t even given Lind a look yet 

:( honestly sometimes I feel like we waste call up when people get injured. All because green likes to be safe

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

But we haven’t even given Lind a look yet 

:( honestly sometimes I feel like we waste call up when people get injured. All because green likes to be safe

You're right, I'd also like to see Green take more risks and play the young guys more frequently. I have also been a vocal member of team Fire Green, even though I really do feel bad advocating for a person to lose their job, I mean, he is a real human being after all, I just am not convinced he is the right coach for our team (although it could simply be the assistants that need to go but that's a convo for a different thread).

But to his credit he has been more than happy to play the young, high end talent in prominent roles. I just don't think Baertschi is a good fit on our team at this time. Yea, he is a better scorer than guys like Roussel, Beagle or Sutter and maybe even guys like Michaelis or Vesey but they bring an intensity in our own end of the ice that is sorely needed as, even if we had Baertschi, we aren't a team that can out score our problems.

If this new story out of CA is an accurate portrayal of what happened I don't want him on our team anyway. There is a right way and a wrong way to react to being sent down. I'm very glad he has done so well in Utica and has been a consumate professional and mentor while down there but I can't wait for his contract to be up after this year so we can cut him loose and be done with all of this. 

I had high hopes when we brought him in and I wish him nothing but the best with where ever he signs his new contract but I'm not going to be concerned about him as an asset at this point as he clearly has very little actual value in the eyes of most GMs around the league. And if he proves me wrong and goes on the highly successful NHL career after this than good for him but it seems unlikely