Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm sad at how things panned out for Sven....that concussion took a toll and I had so much hope for him as an exciting player who could generate offense.  

 

Still have my Baertschi shirt....will be a fan of his no matter what.  Wish him all the best if he does move on.  He'll probably go somewhere else and come back to haunt us.  That's Canuck luck.

I'm starting to not buy the injury concerns narrative... I mean he did miss 8 games this season with Utica but he's still scoring (and of course last season he was above a point-per-game), so it's not like there's a lesser chance of injury in the minors as it's still the same sport (genuinely curious if it's really that much faster and higher risk).  Of course the team seems to have a skilled top 6, gritty bottom 6 philosophy but given how the likes of Jake and Roussel performed this season, I can't help but think that his skills as a winger could've elevated the 3rd line (vs. the crash and bang style that Roussel/ Jake played which led to no scoring, not to mention their inconsistency/ downright laziness at times).  If Tampa could shelter Tyler Johnson as a 4th line center with two bigger wings in Joseph and Maroon, he could've made it work with the array of gritty guys we have.     

Edited by Phil_314
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm starting to not buy the injury concerns narrative... I mean he did miss 8 games this season with Utica but he's still scoring (and of course last season he was above a point-per-game), so it's not like there's a lesser chance of injury in the minors as it's still the same sport (genuinely curious if it's really that much faster and higher risk).  Of course the team seems to have a skilled top 6, gritty bottom 6 philosophy but given how the likes of Jake and Roussel performed this season, I can't help but think that his skills as a winger could've elevated the 3rd line (vs. the crash and bang style that Roussel/ Jake played which led to no scoring, not to mention their inconsistency/ downright laziness at times).  If Tampa could shelter Tyler Johnson as a 4th line center with two bigger wings in Joseph and Maroon, he could've made it work with the array of gritty guys we have.     

Oh I agree.    I feel like he was just sort of written out and that's sad because I feel there was definitely a need for his offensive flair at times.  Absolutely agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The sad thing is if Baer accepted a $1.2-1.5 million contract he probably would have been playing in the NHL. Because he was overpaid, he had to go to the AHL and get his contract buried. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm starting to not buy the injury concerns narrative... I mean he did miss 8 games this season with Utica but he's still scoring (and of course last season he was above a point-per-game), so it's not like there's a lesser chance of injury in the minors as it's still the same sport (genuinely curious if it's really that much faster and higher risk).  Of course the team seems to have a skilled top 6, gritty bottom 6 philosophy but given how the likes of Jake and Roussel performed this season, I can't help but think that his skills as a winger could've elevated the 3rd line (vs. the crash and bang style that Roussel/ Jake played which led to no scoring, not to mention their inconsistency/ downright laziness at times).  If Tampa could shelter Tyler Johnson as a 4th line center with two bigger wings in Joseph and Maroon, he could've made it work with the array of gritty guys we have.     

I'm not a Green fan, but his philosophy seems to be (as learned with Goldobin and Jake) if you won't defend you won't play... and Baertschi's defence is not strong. He scored in Utica when playing with Goldobin and Boucher - two marginal scoring NHLers who thrive in the AHL. I believe it is Baertschi's lack of a commitment to defence that keeps him out of the NHL. The fact that Green won't play him is supported by the fact that no-one else in the NHL wants him - the status of many of our overpaid, under-talented, superannuated, near retirees that Benning is trying to enrich and Green feels obligated to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh I agree.    I feel like he was just sort of written out and that's sad because I feel there was definitely a need for his offensive flair at times.  Absolutely agree.

Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with your comment, just that it was a good latching on point to add my thoughts.
 

17 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I'm not a Green fan, but his philosophy seems to be (as learned with Goldobin and Jake) if you won't defend you won't play... and Baertschi's defence is not strong. He scored in Utica when playing with Goldobin and Boucher - two marginal scoring NHLers who thrive in the AHL. I believe it is Baertschi's lack of a commitment to defence that keeps him out of the NHL. The fact that Green won't play him is supported by the fact that no-one else in the NHL wants him - the status of many of our overpaid, under-talented, superannuated, near retirees that Benning is trying to enrich and Green feels obligated to play.

That does seem to be the case, guess he's like Brandon Pirri in that he can score but doesn't have a well-rounded enough game or is a bit of a one-trick pony.  
It's the second bold that I have some reluctance about, since I think the correlation doesn't mean that no one wants him as a player -- I feel pretty confident someone will scoop him up this off-season, even if it's for a $700k contract (but admittedly he's not worth more than $3 million).  The skill is there but when it's attached to that price tag and rumors of injury proneness then it's no wonder no one scooped him up back then.  I almost hope he rebounds well and has a successful second half of his career to give the finger to our management if it was indeed a disagreement between him and Green or someone that resulted in him getting demoted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In all fairness, the club thought highly enough of him to invite him to the bubble reserve list, but he declined. I hope this wasn't held against him.   Then JB did give Baertschi's agent permission to solicit interest from other clubs.  As was pointed out earlier, he isn't a bottom 6 player, and there wasn't room in the top 6

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2021 at 11:27 PM, Googlie said:

In all fairness, the club thought highly enough of him to invite him to the bubble reserve list, but he declined. I hope this wasn't held against him.   Then JB did give Baertschi's agent permission to solicit interest from other clubs.  As was pointed out earlier, he isn't a bottom 6 player, and there wasn't room in the top 6

Lots of rumours about a rift between Green and Baertschi, so I think that + his contract + his lack of D skills is what kept him out of the NHL. Definitely don't think he'll come back to the Canucks. A middle six role on a bottom team like Buffalo or Detroit makes sense. Seattle? Maybe as a tweener 3rd line winger, I doubt it though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2021 at 11:26 AM, Phil_314 said:

Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with your comment, just that it was a good latching on point to add my thoughts.
 

That does seem to be the case, guess he's like Brandon Pirri in that he can score but doesn't have a well-rounded enough game or is a bit of a one-trick pony.  
It's the second bold that I have some reluctance about, since I think the correlation doesn't mean that no one wants him as a player -- I feel pretty confident someone will scoop him up this off-season, even if it's for a $700k contract (but admittedly he's not worth more than $3 million).  The skill is there but when it's attached to that price tag and rumors of injury proneness then it's no wonder no one scooped him up back then.  I almost hope he rebounds well and has a successful second half of his career to give the finger to our management if it was indeed a disagreement between him and Green or someone that resulted in him getting demoted.

After watching Baertschi’s lack of defensive effort in Utica all year long, his marginal top six performance when he was here but lack of usefulness in the bottom six, it is hard to justify why any team would have him. In fact, taking him off waivers would only have cost half his normal salary, which means no-one wants him at about 1.6 mil. Considering the asset cost of acquiring him is near zero, that is a good sign that his presence is not much desired on nhl teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

 

I wish he all the best. It must have been so hard on him. I hope he finds a home and stays healthy.

 

 

I mean he can blame the organization all he wants but I think he’s gonna find out this offseason that there won’t be much interest.

 

There were players better than Baerstchi all season going on waivers and there will be lots available before the expansion draft and during free agency. Hell look what Mikael Granlund signed for last offseason!

 

If he can get a deal for anything over a mil that isn’t a two way deal I would be shocked.

 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean he can blame the organization all he wants but I think he’s gonna find out this offseason that there won’t be much interest.

 

There were players better than Baerstchi all season going on waivers and there will be lots available before the expansion draft and during free agency. Hell look what Mikael Granlund signed for last offseason!

 

If he can get a deal for anything over a mil that isn’t a two way deal I would be shocked.

 

I agree. He lost a step after that last concussion for sure. I was referring more to the emotions involved. Concussions are such a nasty thing.

 

I remember the winter Olympics 2010. In snowboarding Shaun White was going to take gold and his sponsors built him his private park to ride. However, there was this kid that was in a position to beat him. Tragedy struck when he faceplanted a jump and he was finished. Motor skills slowed to a crawl. I have forgotten his name.

 

I just feel sad for these guys to have your dream taken away like that.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I get why he didn't get played this year. I didn't get the impression his play in the AHL warranted it. It was last year where it didn't make sense to me. He did play well in camp, he played well during his call-ups, he had great chemistry with Horvat, and despite what others are saying about him now, his D was average at worst back then. He was seen as a 2-way forward prior to the concussion. I'm not sure why people are saying he wasn't "gritty" enough for the bottom 6. Gaudette was less gritty than him and Virtanen as well unless he was on. I can't even say if it was a coaching conflict since they obviously worked together before in junior and in Utica with success. Honestly, one of the strangest line up decisions I've seen watching this team and I assume there was something else going on in the background. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I get why he didn't get played this year. I didn't get the impression his play in the AHL warranted it. It was last year where it didn't make sense to me. He did play well in camp, he played well during his call-ups, he had great chemistry with Horvat, and despite what others are saying about him now, his D was average at worst back then. He was seen as a 2-way forward prior to the concussion. I'm not sure why people are saying he wasn't "gritty" enough for the bottom 6. Gaudette was less gritty than him and Virtanen as well unless he was on. I can't even say if it was a coaching conflict since they obviously worked together before in junior and in Utica with success. Honestly, one of the strangest line up decisions I've seen watching this team and I assume there was something else going on in the background. 

How many of those guys are coaches supposed to shelter and 'hide' in a lineup though?

 

Unfortunately, he lost a bit of his willingness to go to tough areas after his concussion issues and we had younger guys (Gaudette/Virtanen) who were a higher priority to give that sheltering 'leash' too, to try and push their development.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see Seattle giving him a 1 year league minimum "show me" contract.  IMO they could do a lot worse.  Would be a useful depth player for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Likely to get a PTO somewhere or a 1 year deal for a million or so. 

 

I just think he is a classic tweener type that plays too such a limited style off offense that it makes it tough for coaches to find a place for him to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We kicked a top 6 F to the curb after he got a concussion, it is sad and I wonder if there are issues between the team expecting a player return at a certain time and a player maybe needing more time....that sure sounds like sven's case. He had a great interview with Don Taylor and Rick Dhaliwal, I can't help but feel for him. Sven had good chemistry with Bo, I have to think he could have had a better impact for us this year Vs. us claiming Vesey and gifting him top 6 minutes...but the writing was on the wall and Sven was never going to get a shot to ever play for us again.

 

What I would like to see if him sign a 1 year deal or even a PTO with Seattle, Seattle has the expansion draft and after they select their roster they can then start making moves of certain players they chose if they want to gain picks or prospects to a new organization with 0 depth.

 

Lastly wish Sven and his family all the best, sorry it ended how it did here and if I could find a Baertschi black Skate jersey for a decent price, I would snap that up and rep it to games for the rest of my life. So, if anyone finds a Sven skate jersey on the cheap now that he is officially not a Canuck entity send it my way!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

We kicked a top 6 F to the curb after he got a concussion, it is sad and I wonder if there are issues between the team expecting a player return at a certain time and a player maybe needing more time....that sure sounds like sven's case. He had a great interview with Don Taylor and Rick Dhaliwal, I can't help but feel for him. Sven had good chemistry with Bo, I have to think he could have had a better impact for us this year Vs. us claiming Vesey and gifting him top 6 minutes...but the writing was on the wall and Sven was never going to get a shot to ever play for us again.

 

What I would like to see if him sign a 1 year deal or even a PTO with Seattle, Seattle has the expansion draft and after they select their roster they can then start making moves of certain players they chose if they want to gain picks or prospects to a new organization with 0 depth.

 

Lastly wish Sven and his family all the best, sorry it ended how it did here and if I could find a Baertschi black Skate jersey for a decent price, I would snap that up and rep it to games for the rest of my life. So, if anyone finds a Sven skate jersey on the cheap now that he is officially not a Canuck entity send it my way!

 

 

Yeah. I feel bad for Bärtschi. I hope that he lands somewhere in the NHL if it’s possible. If not, he’s probably going back to Europe. I can see Seattle possibly giving him a chance, but I’m not sure if he sticks, because of his concussion issues. Sven definitely better than Vesey in a top six role. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Sven definitely better than Vesey in a top six role. 

Pretty sure that Vesey was just a plug to fill a hole in the lineup to help the Canucks finish out the season. Same holds true for a number of other players that they brought in at the time. The big difference was in their respective cap hits. If Sven's cap hit was only 900K like Vesey's, he probably would have played during the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...