The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

Not that Baer would want to, with the way things were handled, but with the Canucks looking to have 3 scoring lines, it looks as though we need another winger with offensive upside. Maybe offer a PTO for 3LW? Baer - Miller - Podz? Before he got injured, he had a ppg rate of a high end 3rd liner...

Edited by Chickenspear
1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

Not that Baer would want to, with the way things were handled, but with the Canucks looking to have 3 scoring lines, it looks as though we need another winger with offensive upside. Maybe offer a PTO for 3LW? Baer - Miller - Podz? Before he got injured, he had a ppg rate of a high end 3rd liner...

IMO Baer isn’t a top 6 player on a Cup contending team. He isn’t heavy enough physically and doesn’t play a heavy enough game. OK for regular season but definitely not for Cup play. It is all about where you invest the TOI over the next 2 years in prep for serous Cup contention. This isn’t Baer.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMO Baer isn’t a top 6 player on a Cup contending team. He isn’t heavy enough physically and doesn’t play a heavy enough game. OK for regular season but definitely not for Cup play. It is all about where you invest the TOI over the next 2 years in prep for serous Cup contention. This isn’t Baer.

That's my take too.   Baer will help any team get into the playoffs, but will disappear during the run.  Plenty of players fit that description.  It's the ones who elevate their games during the playoff run that are valuable.  But for the right club, pressing to play post-season, he might be a fit.  I hope so.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Never said he was a 2nd line forward, and I agree, but could be a potential candidate for the 3rd line.

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

Never said he was a 2nd line forward, and I agree, but could be a potential candidate for the 3rd line.

I wasn’t clear enough on the 2nd line comment. It is my take that Baer has to play top 6 on most teams to be effective. 

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This thread needs to go away. He may be going to Europe.

Agreed.

He was a decent player until he was blindsided and concussed. He just wasn't the same player after that. By all accounts he is a really nice guy and I wish him all the best.

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This thread needs to go away. He may be going to Europe.

Seattle seems interested (per fanbase) ... they need scoring.  

• Hydration 1

I truly question how he was handled here. I felt he could have been given more of a chance to prove himself... especially given the lack of forward talent we've had over the last few years.

I know he wasn't without his defensive warts but he had pretty good chemistry with Bo at one point and it's hard to think he couldn't have done better than a few of the more useless plugs we've been forced to watch.

12 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I truly question how he was handled here. I felt he could have been given more of a chance to prove himself... especially given the lack of forward talent we've had over the last few years.

I know he wasn't without his defensive warts but he had pretty good chemistry with Bo at one point and it's hard to think he couldn't have done better than a few of the more useless plugs we've been forced to watch.

I think the same, honestly. As you say, he wasn't great defensively, but certainly not abhorrent and he looked to be a reliable 20-goal, 40-point middle six guy when it seems like the team inexplicably locked him in the AHL. I'm eager to see if he still has the drive to prove himself in Vegas. He's almost 29 years old now, so he might be reaching the end of what could've been his prime years.

• 1 month later...

Friends in Southern California who follow Vegas say that fans  chatter is all about Baertschi filling in for Tuch while the latter rehabs his shoulder. - maybe 3 months or so. If that happens, and Sven plays up to his potential, could mark a huge turning point in his career

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Friends in Southern California who follow Vegas say that fans  chatter is all about Baertschi filling in for Tuch while the latter rehabs his shoulder. - maybe 3 months or so. If that happens, and Sven plays up to his potential, could mark a huge turning point in his career

I wish him all the best of luck (so as it doesn't come at the expense of the Canucks :P).  He was given every chance to succeed here but things just didn't work out.  It happens.  Doesn't mean any one party did something wrong.

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I wish him all the best of luck (so as it doesn't come at the expense of the Canucks :P).  He was given every chance to succeed here but things just didn't work out.  It happens.  Doesn't mean any one party did something wrong.

Have you been on CDC long? 

• Haha 1

1yr 750 in NHL, 400k in AHL.  Similar to some of the depth guys we signed to play in Abbotsford. No risk for Vegas. Sets market value for Sven right now.

I don't know what happened to Baertschi here, why he got no more chances, but honestly his last couple chances he wasn't great.

His declining to be part of the bubble playoffs a season ago didn't help. Although Benning said he fully supported Sven's decision.  But the clincher came when Benning, in an interview, said that Sven had "looked tentative". In Utica, though, he didn't shy away from the hard areas and took (and gave) several hits to make plays.  Seems, like Crosby, to have weathered the concussion storm and put it behind him.