The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

I'm confused why you guys have not expected elite potiental for a 1st rounder take at pick 13. Whereas, Perry was taken 28th in the first round. So why not expect elite potential from Sven? eg Marty St louis

because if he was he would still be in calgary

To be clear, that's what I perceive his potential to be.

Whether he reaches that or not is another matter altogether.

He has to play for the Canucks right from the start of the next season or clear waivers.

3rd & 4th line minutes & press box time did not help his progression in Calgary, maybe it will in Vancouver.

Unless you think he can play 2nd line LW.....

Higgins has been our 2nd line LW for the entire season and he can't play as a 2nd line LW. As long as he shows Desjardins that he isn't a liability, along with a consistent effort (something he supposedly needs work on), it isn't a stretch to think he could be in the top-6 relatively quickly.

On paper...

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Kassian

Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata

... looks pretty good considering what we've worked with this season. We'll see how he fairs during camp.

Edited by Canucks1219

I'm confused why you guys have not expected elite potiental for a 1st rounder take at pick 13. Whereas, Perry was taken 28th in the first round. So why not expect elite potential from Sven? eg Marty St louis

What are you talking about re-read the thread your posting in, im confused why you expect him to be elite, telling us when he was drafted doesnt help neither does stating other established players ppgs

Perry was taken in one of the deepest drafts in NHL history.

Edit: Not arguing against Sven. Just pointing it out.

Edited by Webster6

Then he would have been traded for more than a 2nd.

I feel like desiboy is one "running with scissors" incident away from no longer being with us.

• Upvote 4

What are you talking about re-read the thread your posting in, im confused why you expect him to be elite, telling us when he was drafted doesnt help neither does stating other established players ppgs

If you actually expect him to be a perrenial scorer then you need to explain why

To be clear, that's what I perceive his potential to be.

Whether he reaches that or not is another matter altogether.

He has to play for the Canucks right from the start of the next season or clear waivers.

3rd & 4th line minutes & press box time did not help his progression in Calgary, maybe it will in Vancouver.

Unless you think he can play 2nd line LW.....

Travis Green's style will set him up beautifully for what we need in the big club. He'll do just fine.

Higgins has been our 2nd line LW for the entire season and he can't play as a 2nd line LW. As long as he shows Desjardins that he isn't a liability, along with a consistent effort (something he supposedly needs work on), it isn't a stretch to think he could be in the top-6 relatively quickly.

On paper...

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Kassian

Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata

... looks pretty good considering what we've worked with this season. We'll see how he fairs during camp.

Baertschi has a higher offensive upside than Higgins but cannot match his defense and consistency yet.

Baertschi has a higher offensive upside than Higgins but cannot match his defense and consistency yet.

Yep, I mentioned as much in my post.

My point was more that our LW depth is pathetic right now and (if he can work on his defensive game + shift-to-shift effort) there's no reason he can't surpass Chris Higgins on the depth chart.

Well... I say that but Higgins still(!) gets more top-6/PP time than 16-goal man Shawn Matthias.