The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

So hope you're right. Calgary is one of my most disliked teams lol. Would be pure comedy reading flame fans comments if SB lights it up. Specifically against them. At first glance the trade seems bad. Second glance a little more reasonable. Third glance you have to wonder why Calgary would take such a risk making this kind of deal with Vancouver of all places. Big mistake to take a risk like this. In the end it's a win/win situation for us.

he still has to transfer his game to the NHL and nothing is guaranteed around that. However, I feel like the odds are pretty good that he is going to be, at least, a serviceable top 6 player in the league.

Burke's the one who dragged Baertschi through the mud though.

Yet it was Treliving who traded him for a 2nd, not Burke.

EDIT: People just like bashing Burke on this forum because of his history. lol I don't doubt Burke called him out at one point, but he's not the actual GM.

Edited by The Lock

EDIT: People just like bashing Burke on this forum because of his history. lol I don't doubt Burke called him out at one point, but he's not the actual GM.

I'm slamming Burke because he did something freakin' stupid while in the capacity as an NHL executive

I'm slamming Burke because he did something freakin' stupid while in the capacity as an NHL executive

Fair enough, I'll assume it wasn't directed at my original post then.

Slam away. Could I interest you in one of Kessel's hockey sticks for the bashing?

Burke did give us the Sedins... and Morrison for Mogilny. While there have been mistakes (Sanderson, Rucinsky, Norenon) he did us quite a bit of good overall.

As did almost every other GM we've had. It's a trend really. We get a new GM, get all excited then boot him out the door and bash him for not seeing a cup.

My post wasn't meant with a Burke bashing intent. It was meant to show the utter contrast in approach to two players that were not wildly different. His approach to evaluating both players is a head scratcher to me. It doesn't matter that Treliving was the GM that ultimately made the trade since it was a product of Burkie's approach in the years prior.

Kessel is valued extreme highly by him as a 21 year old to the point of mortgaging the future of the franchise to a division rival. Kessel had never played any significant time in the AHL, never played two ways, and was not a physical presence. He was inserted directly into the NHL and produced well in his 3rd season but his overall game was still suspect. He also demanded a high salary at the time. Burke felt this didn't matter as much as he evaluated his offensive upside to be worthy of the gamble.

Baertschi is yo-yoed back and forth to the AHL despite producing at a similar level to Kessel in his first two years. He is publicly shamed. There is no leeway given for injuries. He is given little time to adjust on a single roster without being shuffled again.

I'd be wary of suggesting it is simply a Euro vs American issue but the approach is inexplicably incongruous to me.

Edited by theminister
  • Upvote 4

Does anybody else absolutely hate Brian Burke? I know he did some good things for our organization but IMO he's the most pompous a*shole on the planet. All those things he said about Bobby Ryan and Keith Yandle when he cut them from Team USA last year...

I find him very overrated as an NHL executive. He handcuffed Nonis with all his moves in Toronto and now Nonis is taking the flack (though Nonis did sign some of those contracts).

Does anybody else absolutely hate Brian Burke? I know he did some good things for our organization but IMO he's the most pompous a*shole on the planet. All those things he said about Bobby Ryan and Keith Yandle when he cut them from Team USA last year...

I find him very overrated as an NHL executive. He handcuffed Nonis with all his moves in Toronto and now Nonis is taking the flack (though Nonis did sign some of those contracts).

Do I hate him as a person? No.

Do I hate some of the comments and actions he does? Yes.

lets put it this way, I guarantee we won't be putting him in the RoH or having a BB sticker on our helmets when he passes away.

Edited by avelanch

lets put it this way, I guarantee we won't be putting him in the RoH or having a BB sticker on our helmets when he passes away.

That I'm not so sure about. Not saying he deserves it, but all it takes is the right crowd to persuade it to happen.

As did almost every other GM we've had. It's a trend really. We get a new GM, get all excited then boot him out the door and bash him for not seeing a cup.

I look back on the Gillis' meritocratic years very fondly. 2 prez trophies and 1 SCF appearance. It's hard to complain about that. Now JB and WD seem to have a blend of nepotism in them (as in favouring players from Western Canada or ones with past experience with WD, not family relations. I'm using 'nepotism' with liberty here).

My post wasn't meant with a Burke bashing intent. It was meant to show the utter contrast in approach to two players that were not wildly different. His approach to evaluating both players is a head scratcher to me. It doesn't matter that Treliving was the GM that ultimately made the trade since it was a product of Burkie's approach in the years prior.

Kessel is valued extreme highly by him as a 21 year old to the point of mortgaging the future of the franchise to a division rival. Kessel had never played any significant time in the AHL, never played two ways, and was not a physical presence. He was inserted directly into the NHL and produced well in his 3rd season but his overall game was still suspect. He also demanded a high salary at the time. Burke felt this didn't matter as much as he evaluated his offensive upside to be worthy of the gamble.

Baertschi is yo-yoed back and forth to the AHL despite producing at a similar level to Kessel in his first two years. He is publicly shamed. There is no leeway given for injuries. He is given little time to adjust on a single roster without being shuffled again.

I'd be wary of suggesting it is simply a Euro vs American issue but the approach is inexplicably incongruous to me.

Good point.

Edited by Hugor Hill

It was managements lack of faith in his play that probably wanted him out. and who made that comment? It wasn't Treliving thats for sure.

It was managements lack of faith in his play that probably wanted him out. and who made that comment? It wasn't Treliving thats for sure.

So? lol

It doesn't change who actually traded him away. Influenced by management or not, Treliving was the one who pulled the trigger.