The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Newly-acquired Sven Baertschi (9-21-30) continued his hot-streak by assisting on Alexandre Grenier's (12-19-31) goal to give Baertschi his 6th point in 5 games dawning the blue and green. The game remained scoreless until 5:25 into the 3rd period when Cal O'Reilly (7-32-42) dumped the puck into the Wolves zone and Baertschi layed a solid body check on the Chicago defenseman that allowed the puck to ring around the boards to an alert Grenier. Grenier promptly threw the puck on net from the right side of the boards catching Wolves' goaltender Matt Climie off guard.

Baertschi has now tallied 5 points (1-4-5) in his first 5 games dawning the blue and green colours; Baertschi has been on the ice for six of the seven Comets goals they've scored since he was acquired from Calgary. Dating back to his final two games with the Adirondack Flames, Baertschi is currently riding a six-game point point streak in which he's registered 8 points (1-7-8). The former first round draft pick has 13 points (3-10-13) in his previous 12 AHL games

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/3/12/8199019/comets-fall-2-1-to-wolves-baertschi-keeps-rolling.

"give Baertschi his 6th point in 5 games dawning the blue and green."

"Baertschi has now tallied 5 points (1-4-5) in his first 5 games dawning the blue and green colours"

Isn't it five in four?? Article contradicts itself and is wrong both times LOOL

Edited by Hodgson!!
  • Upvote 1

Could just be a case similar to Kesler and the way Benning handled it. If a guy doesn't want to be a part of the org, then you move em.

It's like the anti-Kesler trade. It wasn't so much that Calgary had given up on Sven, it's that he somehow ended up in Hartley's doghouse. Then, despite bizarre treatment and random call ups, he put it together for some serious AHL numbers. Then he showed up for camp, and got cut before Gaudreau and Monahan, who are both just bad defensively. Hartley was the reason again.

So yeah, Sven wanted out by that point. It really says it all that he just pulled over and smiled when he got the trade call. He's been through hell.

The carrot of becoming an NHL player is nice, but every player has that to motivate them. The real winners have experienced what it's like to be wasting away on a crap team. Those players make the most of their chances

• Upvote 1

Guest Dasein

I cannot wait until we have a line of Sven and Hunter single handedly putting Calgary out of the playoffs in 2 seasons

Man, in just two years?

If those two are single-handedly winning us a series like that then we would be a Cup favourite with the Sedins still here, Horvat, Bonino, McCann, Kassian, Virtanen, Cassels, Gaunce, etc

Word is he is pretty decent on the d-side as well as the ozone. That definitely brings Higgins future into question. I do expect JB will move Higgins by the Draft. It is also why I do not expect Hanson to be moved. His PK ability, scoring and speed + physicality will keep him in Van. SB has the potential to anchor a top 6 line.

In jr he was like a mini Hossa according to some Flames fans.

Baertschi is definitely an above average play-maker.

He needs work on his 200 foot game, especially defensively.

He does has some issues between his ears; I'm not sure if it's confidence, work ethic, or something else entirely.

We should cross our fingers that Green can fix him before next season.

I find comments on his d-game always "interesting" because I have watched quite a few Adk and his Utica games and I don't get it - doesn't stand out but is no worse than any other player. Can't help but notice that the comments re his d-game started after Burke called him out on it but I can't really remember any prior to that. Also, that was more than a year ago and it does look like he has improved since then.

Should listen to Green's interview after the trade. Adamant that work ethic is not issue with Sven and that it's not in his character to expect things to be handed to him. Not the kind of person he is.
The positive of this trade is that Benning and Green are certainly not going to ask him to use Gallagher as example but play him to his strength and not make him become a player he is not.
I think it's time to move on so I am not going to list all the things that were "weird" re his usage with the Flames. I still have in mind the story of a Swiss journalist who travelled to N.A. to meet Sven (was a road trip) but instead of getting an interview with Sven he ended up writing about how the Flames played hide&seek with him and how he never got his interview (was roughly at the time of Burke's comments).
Have been a big fan of Sven since his days with the Winterhawks (not only because of his play but also because of his off-ice attitude - just comes across like an overall good kid - very active in the community too) and have kept tabs on him with the Flames; and now that he is a Canuck it's time for me to join this message board.

WELCOME!!!

Edited by Horvat

I find comments on his d-game always "interesting" because I have watched quite a few Adk and his Utica games and I don't get it - doesn't stand out but is no worse than any other player. Can't help but notice that the comments re his d-game started after Burke called him out on it but I can't really remember any prior to that. Also, that was more than a year ago and it does look like he has improved since then.

Should listen to Green's interview after the trade. Adamant that work ethic is not issue with Sven and that it's not in his character to expect things to be handed to him. Not the kind of person he is.
The positive of this trade is that Benning and Green are certainly not going to ask him to use Gallagher as example but play him to his strength and not make him become a player he is not.
I think it's time to move on so I am not going to list all the things that were "weird" re his usage with the Flames. I still have in mind the story of a Swiss journalist who travelled to N.A. to meet Sven (was a road trip) but instead of getting an interview with Sven he ended up writing about how the Flames played hide&seek with him and how he never got his interview (was roughly at the time of Burke's comments).
Have been a big fan of Sven since his days with the Winterhawks (not only because of his play but also because of his off-ice attitude - just comes across like an overall good kid - very active in the community too) and have kept tabs on him with the Flames; and now that he is a Canuck it's time for me to join this message board.

Thanks for your insight!

Welcome to the messy pile of fun that is CDC.

I am also really happy to see Sven become part of the Canucks organization. It's just good to see players who were highly touted and worked so hard there whole lives to get where they are have a really good second chance at making a career out of what they love go do. From all accounts this is what Sven loves to do, and may he bring that enthusiasm to the Blue and Green of Vancouver for Years to come.

Thanks for the welcomes. I thing that if he brings the kind of drive and enthusiasm he has shown in Juniors (and with the Comets) then we are in for a real treat! Will be fun to watch all these promising youngsters for years to come.

Edited by mll

Nice to get some insight! Welcome to CDC!

"give Baertschi his 6th point in 5 games dawning the blue and green."

"

Baertschi has now tallied 5 points (1-4-5) in his first 5 games dawning the blue and green colours"

Isn't it five in four?? Article contradicts itself and is wrong both times LOOL

Haha I know I caught that as well lol, was gunna say something. I'm just glad he's getting the media attention and am excited to see the kid play.