The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

I was definitely one of the pessimist or one who aired on the side of caution with this trade, but I've definitely come around on this guy.

Not just because of his production, but that fact that his entire game has seem to taken off. In every comets highlight package, he always seems to be in the middle of all the Comets chances. Travis Green has him out alot in the last minute of play protecting leads which says alot. The guy is doing everything for the Comets right now.

• Upvote 1

Sven B gets to play for his junior coach and recover from his Flamer experience. Back in a winning environment which was not the case for either the Abbie Jr Flamers or the big Flamers.

A real interesting line next year would be Sven B-Horvat-Vey. Fast & fast!

I think what gets lost by us fans when watching and evaluating players is that they are people just like us. They aren't stat lines that exist outside of their environment and circumstances. Baertschi's skill level is, was, and will remain borderline elite but what changes is how hard he works, what opportunities he's given, and how confident he feels. I found it funny (here and on HFBoards especially) how many people wrote Sven off because of his "downward trending PPG" as if he was somehow becoming a less talented or gifted player. Rather what was really declining was his confidence and his opportunities within the Calgary organization. Just as many of us feared Benning would move Kassian at the deadline only to see him break-out under another coach that didn't bench him at every opportunity, I think this is what is partly behind Baertschi's resurgence. He feels valued, respected, and like he has a future in this organization. As a result he is playing harder and with more confidence than he has for the past couple years in Calgary. This is why many saw the trade as a great gamble by Benning because the skill was beyond what you can ever usually get with a 2nd round pick, only the player's attitude needed to improve. And so far it looks exactly like that is happening.

Well said. People become victims of the past too easy. As a general manager, it's far more important to look at what the player can do. Players slump, or vary in production. The important thing is, do they still have talent that they can bring to the table. It also goes with Alex Edler. A lot of people were screaming for him to be traded. Trevor Linden gave him the vote of confidence seeing that he could still bring a lot, and guess what he did. Players don't vanish as quickly as people think. It just takes different ways to unlock their maximum potential. Shawn Matthias is having his best season with us at 27, as well as Brad Richardson at 30, and Derek Dorsett at 28. As fans we need to not be so quick to write people off.

his goal production has gone up a lot thanks to those 2 EN Goals.

1 more goal and he will break his AHL personal best of 13.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue his torrid pace and maintain or even increase his PPG as he grows more comfortable with the system and his team mates. To top that off Green still thinks his confidence can grow some more as well.

Way too early to make that assessment, I would hold off judgement until AHL playoffs.

Maybe so.

Still, the 2nd round pick is less than ideal at this stage for them, considering we look more poised to make the playoffs than they do, but Baertschi definitely wanted out of their system.