The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

He's our second most skillled LW for sure at passing, I would love it if we could keep Matthias as well Beartschi Matthias Vey would be a decent line if we can get Matthias to be good at faceoffs.

I also think Bear will best suit a fast centre with a good shot like McCann.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking as I watched that line. Sven and Vey have instant chemistry but a lot of plays broke down because they are so creative offensively that Dorsett couldn't keep up. Nothing against Dorsett, but he plays a very logical game and seems to always do what he should. The young guys do all manner of things that are unpredictable, which makes them dangerous offensively but they need to be surrounded with guys who can read off them.

Vey seemed to come alive with Sven playing with him as well. Suddenly we saw why he was so good in the AHL. Little tight passes, head fakes that threw off defenders, sometimes just leaving the puck as it slid by him, knowing Sven was there to pick it up. And that's where Kass comes in. He can cycle with the Sedins and everyone complains he passes too much and gets too fancy. Put him with Vey and Baertschi and he's going to be a force.

This and the post you quoted I agree with.

He's good for one or two solid plays a game (Cross ice pass Baertschi nearly buried) but his hands and vision simply can't keep up with his motor. Unfortunately, we do have him for four years so it's either the Horvat or Vey line for him next year.

Sven played well I was glued to the screen when he was on

It seemed like he was making nice played but his line mates or defense would kill the play somehow

He's definitely a skilled playmaker

Too bad we don't have a scoring center to pair him with

Mcann will be the guy in the future, maybe bonino for now

Sedin Sedin kassian

Baertshi bonino vrbata

Burrows Mathias Dorset

Kenins Horvat Hansen

With everyone healthy with Richardson swapping in if someone has a bad game

Burrows has been invisible the last 5 games

i didn't see it like that.

I thought Sven played really well but sometimes his timing/pass direction was just a bit rusty. That doesn't worry me because these are all new team mates and the speed and accuracy is higher in the NHL. He will gradually find that accuracy.

All in all it was a very impressive couple of games so far. I love his smooth skating and acceleration with the IQ to go with it.

don't know where to post this. but i'm watching the jets-flames game (2nd period), and it dawned on me.

these are two ex-atlanta franchises. the flames used to play in atlanta a long time ago, and we all know the jets used to be the thrashers in atlanta. wow. atlanta sucks as a hockey market. losing two hockey franchises? bettman better not go back there a third time. you know what they say. fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times...well...

Guest Dasein

Won't mind a Baertschi-Vey-Kassian line for next season. All 3 are ripe to have breakout seasons.

That line has "West Coast Express" potential written all over it

I don't wish failure on any player, but if Vancouver can't rid Sven of his sense of entitlement, his career will be short.

If he learns to play as hard for his teammates as he does for himself, he could do very well indeed.

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I actually really like the sounds of that line.

I really wished we could keep Matthias. I get what Dorsett brings but how can you choose a guy who 6 4" and can skate, take faceoffs and kill penalties for a guy who's just going to try his best.

I love Matthias' work ethic and effort but I have some problems with him. For a guy who's got great size 6'4" and 200+ lbs. he doesn't crash and bang anywhere close to what he needs to do. He is one of the least physical big-bodied players in the entire league. He uses his reach and can protect the puck decently but that's about all he takes advantage of. As for taking faceoffs, it's sort of a moot point that he "can take faceoffs" when he is so inefficient at them. Guys who can kill penalties can be replaced without much trouble. Add to all of this the fact that he is going to get a huge raise and I am just fine with seeing him go somewhere else.

He looked really good last game. Would love to see him with Vrbata.

For whatever in the world it's worth (likely "nothing" considering the circumstances of the game), Baertschi finished the game on a line with Bonino-Vrbata.

As for people who think Desjardins is in love with Higgins specifically, I've thought all year that it seems more like he feels somewhat obligated, as a first-year coach, to cater more towards the veteran players. I could obviously be mistaken but I think that Higgins doesn't get 2nd line/PP unit time over Baertschi to start next season.

Guest Dasein

I love Matthias' work ethic and effort but I have some problems with him. For a guy who's got great size 6'4" and 200+ lbs. he doesn't crash and bang anywhere close to what he needs to do. He is one of the least physical big-bodied players in the entire league. He uses his reach and can protect the puck decently but that's about all he takes advantage of. As for taking faceoffs, it's sort of a moot point that he "can take faceoffs" when he is so inefficient at them. Guys who can kill penalties can be replaced without much trouble. Add to all of this the fact that he is going to get a huge raise and I am just fine with seeing him go somewhere else.

For whatever in the world it's worth (likely "nothing" considering the circumstances of the game), Baertschi finished the game on a line with Bonino-Vrbata.

As for people who think Desjardins is in love with Higgins specifically, I've thought all year that it seems more like he feels somewhat obligated, as a first-year coach, to cater more towards the veteran players. I could obviously be mistaken but I think that Higgins doesn't get 2nd line/PP unit time over Baertschi to start next season.

Yeah Matthias is so on-off.. Pretty frustrating

I guess in that sense Higgins brings more because he's the same night in and night out

Next year's PP should be interesting, as we have many candidates who will be vying for a spot. I'd like to see:

1st unit:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (net front presence)

Vrbata - Weber

2nd unit:

Baertschi - Bonino - Burrows (net front presence)

Edler - Corrado

I agree that Higgins should be taken off the PP - he doesn't have enough finish to deserve a spot

Yeah Matthias is so on-off.. Pretty frustrating

I guess in that sense Higgins brings more because he's the same night in and night out

Next year's PP should be interesting, as we have many candidates who will be vying for a spot. I'd like to see:

1st unit:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (net front presence)

Vrbata - Weber

2nd unit:

Baertschi - Bonino - Burrows (net front presence)

Edler - Corrado

I agree that Higgins should be taken off the PP - he doesn't have enough finish to deserve a spot

Just my guess; but I think Clendening will have that 2knd unit spot over Corrado. Both because of his puck skills with right handed shot, but also due to his waiver status...