The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Those plays were better than they looked. First goal was due to patience to get as close as possible even with pressure on him. Good puck control. Then the second goal he cuts in with speed and contacts the defender then finishes. Now I'm excited about this guy.

Edited by Special Ed
  • Upvote 1

Sven played Sven-sational tonight. The best part of his game is how he protects the puck. Even with a smaller frame, he is able to battle off defenders and maintain puck possession. Sooo glad he got his first pair as a Canuck tonight. Heres to hoping he can make Calgary pay!

• Upvote 1

I thought his first goal was more impressive.

His edging and body positioning is very good. The way he can turn on a dime and transition is the sole reason he scored that 1st goal. Him and Vrbata are the 3rd and 4th most skilled players on the team right now; their passing abilities really shone on the 1st goal as well.

I really didn't like Vey again tonight.

Vey had a filthy feed over to Bieksa on the 2nd goal. Cross ice, cross crease over to Juice for the wrap around. I'm starting to see what Vey brings is very subtle.

• Upvote 2

Vey had a filthy feed over to Bieksa on the 2nd goal. Cross ice, cross crease over to Juice for the wrap around. I'm starting to see what Vey brings is very subtle.

As noted, they play somewhat similar styles as playmakers, but Vey doesn't have quite the vision nor the drive to the net of Sven. Vey seems to like to stay on the perimeter and pull up, looking for passes for trailers and breakers like he gave to Bieksa (unfortunately, most go to our offensively-challenged D-men, who then fire the puck into the corner). Hopefully next year he'll start breaking to the net more and using his shot -- he's a decent goal-scorer, just has to start getting his nose dirty.

• Upvote 1

I like this game. Vey sucks. Kassians a Plug. Baertschi is the worst traded since Cam Neely. The Dorsett and Sbsia contracts suck.

vey isnt a 200ft player

kassian is decent better than a bunxh of our players

baerchi just scored two goals and has talent not sure how he was a bad deal for a second rounder you obviously have not much clue in hockey matters your probably ten and should be put to bed your up past your bed time saying silly things

• Upvote 1

vey isnt a 200ft player

kassian is decent better than a bunxh of our players

baerchi just scored two goals and has talent not sure how he was a bad deal for a second rounder you obviously have not much clue in hockey matters your probably ten and should be put to bed your up past your bed time saying silly things

You do realise he was being sarcastic right?

• Upvote 4

Sven B got 2 goals that were questionable NHL goals. I liked the 2nd best as he fended off the dman to gain position. Both should have been stopped IMO. Not a put down as I thought he played well positionally throughout the game. His play has to make WD scratch his head over the composition of his 3rd line going into playoffs. I assume Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata are the 2nd and Horvat's stays the same. We might see Higgins and Sven B switch up depending on circumstance and depending on Matthias's health.

What stood out on my radar last night was Ronalds Kennins play. While I thought Sven B's goals were marginal I also thought Kennin's could easily have had 2 goals. His potential could be a serious wild card during a series. He is handling the puck well and his acceleration is 2nd to none. Playoffs give him a opportunity but no matter how it plays out he will be something next year.

• Upvote 1

Sven B got 2 goals that were questionable NHL goals. I liked the 2nd best as he fended off the dman to gain position. Both should have been stopped IMO. Not a put down as I thought he played well positionally throughout the game. His play has to make WD scratch his head over the composition of his 3rd line going into playoffs. I assume Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata are the 2nd and Horvat's stays the same. We might see Higgins and Sven B switch up depending on circumstance and depending on Matthias's health.

What stood out on my radar last night was Ronalds Kennins play. While I thought Sven B's goals were marginal I also thought Kennin's could easily have had 2 goals. His potential could be a serious wild card during a series. He is handling the puck well and his acceleration is 2nd to none. Playoffs give him a opportunity but no matter how it plays out he will be something next year.

Are you seriously undermining his goals? Geez prospects can't win. Is it the first five hole goal you've ever seen in the nhl? On the second one he obviously went there again cause the gaping hole. marginal goals is a flipping paradox... a goal is a goal is a goal :picard::picard::picard::picard::picard::picard:

• Upvote 4

Lol they were nice goals. SB makes a huge impact and what stood out on your radar is kenins. I'm guessing you're a hipster trying to spin out a new trend.ndid you post this from Starbucks on your typewriter by chance? :P Both Sven goals were sick. Puck control. Positioning. Aggressiveness. Patience. Most importantly finish. To be fair I can see how someone at a glance may think the plays weren't that great. But take a closer look and see a combination of things he did well. For me he waited for the right moment to shoot and caught the goalie off guard all while being pressured closely. Many players don't even get the shot off there or shoot too early. Edited by Special Ed
  • Upvote 1

How in the hell do you come up with that comparison?

Watching him last night, he just has that sort of pure goal scorer feel to him, but is able to grind around the ice if need be. I think his skating is a bit better than Perry's, but he's the guy that came to mind.

Wow I realize that scoring around the league has gone down this year but if Sven's goals were "sick" then I guess the standards are pretty low.

I'm considering factors like him having an immediate impact and his age. For him to come in and make plays like that at this stage in the season. Its exciting to me and yes if any young player who was written off then comes in and makes plays like this, in his first games with a new team, it's really good in my opinion. Your post comes off as a little bitter to be honest. Do I smell a flames fan? Lol

Edited by Special Ed

I thought the plays that he made to get those scoring chances on his goals were exceptional. I also thought that he made some very skilled passes as well as having a special kind of hand eye coordination as he was able to bat the puck down to himself on multiple occasions. The finish on the goals were good shots, but I would be expecting my Midget A goalies to make those saves...

Speed, hands, and vision.... The more ice time, the more success, the more confidence... I think he's going to be a special player for us in the long run. This deal could turn up similar to Naslund for Stojanov.

woot!

• Upvote 1