The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

The coach is going with the team that got him to the POs. You don't change things up unless they faulter. Chemistry is vital.

WD said that Sven needs to play in the top 6 to be effective. Right now, that means Utica.

I was only commenting on WD contributing to the hype with his comments after the Arizona game.

I have no problem with him being sent back down - it will allow him to continue to work with Green on improving the things he needs to to be ready for next year.

Edited by mll

Little Lindy Vey is lucky he better have one hell of an offseason next year because Baertschi and to a lesser extent Virtanen are coming for his spot next year.

I'm a little ticked Canucks go with Kassian against a speed skill smaller team like Calgary where you need guys like Bear Cheese.

Especially coming off an injury is Kassian really the better choice ice cold coming back from injury and known for his inconsistency?

Bear Cheese gets 2 goals and was feeling it in the minors and would be totally fired up to face his old team. I don't get that decision. But I guess they want to respect Utica and make sure they have some potent offence for their AHL Calder Cup run.

More so it is Linden Vey that really pisses me off. He is listed, key word listed at 6 feet tall and 180 some pounds I highly doubt he is 6 feet tall.

Probably 5 foot 10 in reality and just plays and skates so small. I can see why L.A. got rid of him.

He really needs a huge summer and come to camp next year weighing closer to 190 pounds than he is right now at 180. Extra weight and some muscle would help his explosiveness and strength winning battles and in the faceoff dot.

Horvat is a perfect example of explosive training paying off in his skating and shot.

Little Lindy Vey is lucky he better have one hell of an offseason next year because Baertschi and to a lesser extent Virtanen are coming for his spot next year.

I'm a little ticked Canucks go with Kassian against a speed skill smaller team like Calgary where you need guys like Bear Cheese.

Especially coming off an injury is Kassian really the better choice ice cold coming back from injury and known for his inconsistency?

Bear Cheese gets 2 goals and was feeling it in the minors and would be totally fired up to face his old team. I don't get that decision. But I guess they want to respect Utica and make sure they have some potent offence for their AHL Calder Cup run.

More so it is Linden Vey that really pisses me off. He is listed, key word listed at 6 feet tall and 180 some pounds I highly doubt he is 6 feet tall.

Probably 5 foot 10 in reality and just plays and skates so small. I can see why L.A. got rid of him.

He really needs a huge summer and come to camp next year weighing closer to 190 pounds than he is right now at 180. Extra weight and some muscle would help his explosiveness and strength winning battles and in the faceoff dot.

Horvat is a perfect example of explosive training paying off in his skating and shot.

Did I miss something..is Kassian back..I could see Matthias in or even Richardson but I think Kass is a long shot just now.

WD said that Sven needs to play in the top 6 to be effective. Right now, that means Utica.

I hadn't seen or heard that. I'd seen something where WD was quoted as saying Baertschi would be top 6 for this team in the future (echoing what JB had said when Baertschi was acquired.)

When did WD say he needs to play in the top 6, and is there a source for it? Thanks.

Here are his shifts against Edmonton. It's tough to judge his true potential from watching him play against what is basically AHL level competition but, like I said when I posted his game against Arizona, there's no denying his speed, passing ability, and puckhandling. From my limited viewings, he also seems more physically competent than I had initially thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u45RhRbZs6g

• Upvote 4

Jensen 's pretty good too. He scored 3 goals in 7 games for us last season. Should we play him? Should we be benching Vey/Matthias as well? They only played a full season for us to help us get into the playoffs. Let's play a new prospect because he looks flashy and pump some fan's adrenaline.

Did I miss something..is Kassian back..I could see Matthias in or even Richardson but I think Kass is a long shot just now.

O crap I thought Kassian was back saw some posts on Baertschi being sent down assuming guys are close to coming back.

I assumed that meant Richardson and Kassian were close since Matthias was only supposed to be resting and should be good to go for game 1.

Nothing is confirmed though nor should it be. Come playoff time injury info is not expected.

Element of surprise can work sometimes but I guess most will judge on who practices these next 2 days and the lines used will most likely be the guys playing in game 1.

Edited by Chip Kelly

sven sent down?

that's disappointing. he showed well in the games he's played. wasn't a defensive liability.

i hope the canucks aren't doing to sven what the flames did to him. would be a travesty.

this move doesn't make sense either.

If anything this demotion should not waiver Bart's confidence. Rather his 2 goals in the EDM game and lighting a fire in Utica is only a confirmation for himself more than anything that he can produce and be a really dominant player.

He said first a foremost he needed to refind his confidence in order to be an impactful player, this past 3-4 weeks has been exactly what he has needed to revitalize his career.

I expect him to be a man on a mission going into the playoffs for Utica. He instantly changes the complexion of the team and his presence will be felt no doubt

The coach is going with the team that got him to the POs. You don't change things up unless they faulter. Chemistry is vital.

WD did not say that, what he said in the post game interview from EDM is that he doesn't like to classify his lines and that Sven would potentially look good on a line with Horvat and Hansen!

I really don't think Sven or Virtanen will be vying for the 13th forward position.

• Upvote 1

I asked earlier about a source. I've now found WD's quotes from the postgame in Edmonton and it spoke of Baertschi playing with Horvat and Hansen, though he did also say Baertschi plays better with offensive guys. He didn't say Baertschi needs to play in the top 6 to be effective.

From http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/04/11/the-provies-miller-still-recovering-tickets-not-selling-dorsett-risking-everything-and-sedins-go-11/:

The coach acknowledged Baertschi gave him something to think about, but added: “He’s a guy who gives us some depth.”

Interestingly, he did say if he plays Baertschi, it could be with Horvat and Yannie. “He’s a good offensive player and he plays better with offensive guys,” Desjardins said.

“He would play good with Horvat and Hansen. That would be a good line because those guys are great defensively.

“If you wanted to make them more of an offensive line, you could look at something like that.”

I really don't think Sven or Virtanen will be vying for the 13th forward position.

He won't need to. He has a guaranteed spot as he will be on waivers if he doesn't. That means we will lose him for nothing and basically threw away a 2nd round pick.

Coach WD is already excited to have him in a potential Top 6 role, and that's over 3 games he played. AHL or not against edmonton, he scored quality goals. Both goal scorer goals. Just look at what he did on the 2nd goal, he initiated contact on the guy to make sure he doesn't get pushed away from his shot. I don't seem to remember any of our guys do that on a breakaway. That is an offensive player waiting to show his skills.

Why would he not make it next season?

Just finish in AHL strong, make sure he works hard over summer, then camps, then he's guaranteed a spot.

He won't need to. He has a guaranteed spot as he will be on waivers if he doesn't. That means we will lose him for nothing and basically threw away a 2nd round pick.

Coach WD is already excited to have him in a potential Top 6 role, and that's over 3 games he played. AHL or not against edmonton, he scored quality goals. Both goal scorer goals. Just look at what he did on the 2nd goal, he initiated contact on the guy to make sure he doesn't get pushed away from his shot. I don't seem to remember any of our guys do that on a breakaway. That is an offensive player waiting to show his skills.

Why would he not make it next season?

Just finish in AHL strong, make sure he works hard over summer, then camps, then he's guaranteed a spot.

I think you misread/mis-understood my post.