The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Vey and Sven B are different players and different positions. I doubt either see a lot of playoff time.

Matthias will get the LW and Richardson will be the 3C.

If you are comparing LW then a fairer discussion might be Sven B vs Ronalds Kennins. In this scenario

I still think that SB would sit. My take is that WD likes the Horvat line to be more 'heavier' than what Sven brings. Their ability to work the boards generates puck possession with scoring chances.

These playoffs have career implications for some Van players IMHO. Higgins and Matthias both have to perform as I can see both Sven B and Kennins challenging next year.

i'd rather cheezer play on the second and kenins stick with Horvat.

Vey is a playmaker. Baertschi is a sniper. While we need both, we need the former more than the latter.

SB is a playmaker much more than a sniper. Not that he can't pot goa;ls, but he's known as a very good set up guy.

I see Bartchi as a set up man as well. Could work well with Virtanen in a few years.

Could work well with him and Bonino feeding Vrbata passes as well. Not to mention Bonino's got a pretty decent shot as well (as does Baer).

Could work well with him and Bonino feeding Vrbata passes as well. Not to mention Bonino's got a pretty decent shot as well (as does Baer).

Yeah I could see that as a line next season. Im just glad the guy looks to have some great tools in his arsenal. Cause a 2nd rounder is a steep price. After Vey Im a bit gun shy trading high picks. Not hating on Vey since he is skilled, but hes a small center who cant win draws.

Yeah I could see that as a line next season. Im just glad the guy looks to have some great tools in his arsenal. Cause a 2nd rounder is a steep price. After Vey Im a bit gun shy trading high picks. Not hating on Vey since he is skilled, but hes a small center who cant win draws.

Both Vey and Baer (especially) are already far better players than most second rounders turn out to be. Not really a steep price for what we got. That doesn't even include the value of skipping ~4 years of development either.

• Upvote 1

I asked earlier about a source. I've now found WD's quotes from the postgame in Edmonton and it spoke of Baertschi playing with Horvat and Hansen, though he did also say Baertschi plays better with offensive guys. He didn't say Baertschi needs to play in the top 6 to be effective.

From http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/04/11/the-provies-miller-still-recovering-tickets-not-selling-dorsett-risking-everything-and-sedins-go-11/:

The coach acknowledged Baertschi gave him something to think about, but added: “He’s a guy who gives us some depth.”

Interestingly, he did say if he plays Baertschi, it could be with Horvat and Yannie. “He’s a good offensive player and he plays better with offensive guys,” Desjardins said.

“He would play good with Horvat and Hansen. That would be a good line because those guys are great defensively.

“If you wanted to make them more of an offensive line, you could look at something like that.”

Yeah, sorry man.

I've been searching to see if I could find the quote but have come up empty. I'm sure it was on this board, but it may have been Benning's comment, not WD.

The way I read it, he wasn't saying that Sven would definitely get the top 6 role, just that he should be on the top 6 to be most effective.

This is a post from Bad Goalie on HF Boards that is worth sharing. It speaks volumes about the attitude and motivation that Sven Baertschi brings to the rink.

"Guess who was the first guy to take the ice at practice today? Sven Baertschi. Second guy? Cory Conacher. Is it a coincidence that the two guys brought in to upgrade the Utica roster would be the first two guys on the ice? They know what it takes to get it done.

Soon to come aboard behind them were Shinkaruk, Gaunce, LaBate, and Hutton. Youth following the leaders?"

He won't need to. He has a guaranteed spot as he will be on waivers if he doesn't. That means we will lose him for nothing and basically threw away a 2nd round pick.

Coach WD is already excited to have him in a potential Top 6 role, and that's over 3 games he played. AHL or not against edmonton, he scored quality goals. Both goal scorer goals. Just look at what he did on the 2nd goal, he initiated contact on the guy to make sure he doesn't get pushed away from his shot. I don't seem to remember any of our guys do that on a breakaway. That is an offensive player waiting to show his skills.

Why would he not make it next season?

Just finish in AHL strong, make sure he works hard over summer, then camps, then he's guaranteed a spot.

That's the great thing about trading picks/prospects for waiver eligible players. They're gauranteed roster spots.

I'm so disappointed that Sven isn't playing today.

I'd rather have him in the lineup then higgins or mattias.

He'd be a highly motivated player out to show his old team that they were wrong to trade him.

We have him if we get into trouble. He's our special weapon.

Edited by Webster6

I'm so disappointed that Sven isn't playing today.

I'd rather have him in the lineup then higgins or mattias.

He'd be a highly motivated player out to show his old team that they were wrong to trade him.

Yeah look at Bennett, best player for the Flames so far.

Baertschi better get called up and replace Matthias or rotate in for someone.

baertschi needs to get into this series. motivated player is a good thing in this series.

canucks just lost it tonight in the third period. couldn't get out of their zone, and it cost them.

i would also sit higgins. matthias has size, speed, and some offensive capabilities.

higgins is good defensively, but replacing him with beartschi, who isn't a slouch defensively either. it's a better fit.